Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 08

I've got PND

Thanks for your posts Claire and Dee on the other thread. It's so reassuring to read that others have experienced similar things to me and come through the other side feeling totally fine.

I went to the doc yesterday morning and the floodgates opened. He's fairly confident I've got PND and offered me anti-depressants. I said I'd think about it for a week but I'm actually going to go back today for a prescription as since admitting I think I have a problem yesterday, and hearing it confirmed by my GP, I feel that all my symptoms have worsened a lot.

I've had insomnia for 2 nights now despite feeling exhausted in the day. I've had less than 4 hours sleep last night and I haven't been able to drop off since 3.45am. At least I didn't have nightmares last night which I have been having lately.

The confusion seems loads worse now as well and I definitely feel anxious although I can't work out why. I'm not "low" or "down" which is what I thought PND would feel like. It's a load of other jumbled up emotions in my head.

I am going to call on family and friends now for support. My hubby has tried to be good by doing lots of jobs in the house yesterday which I've been on about for ages (bless him) but I don't think he knows what to say just yet.

One of my best mates had PND this year and her hubby is one of my hubby's best mates, so they're gonna have a bloke chat which his great. I went to the pub last night with my friend which really helped.

I'm going to post a question about medication and breastfeeding on the PND and BF forums, so I'd be really grateful for any advice that anyone may have.

Chat soon guys,

Jo x

Replies

• I have never had pnd so do not know what you must be feeling. My best friend has pnd and my mother suffers depression. I know there is know quick fix (unfortunately), but you have made the hardest step of accessing help and recognising the problem. Sounds like you have a good hubby and friends to support you. And you can always come on here and get support.

My friend who had pnd is better now and has just had her 2nd child and is doing really well. I think its really good that you are going to your gp, and i think its really good that you have decided to get the medication, i know my friend also found seeing the gp practice counsellor helped her a lot i don't know if they offer this at your surgery, but it might help too.

((((((((hugs)))))))))

xxx
  • Ah Jo, i'm sorry that this has happened to you but am also glad that you have nipped it in the bud & are getting the support to help you through. Now you have the diagnosis, you can accept that and focus on getting out the other side - which you will! :\)

I agree about getting that prescription. If it wasn't for the fact that I'd spent 5 months preparing my body for pregnancy i'd have taken mine. The sooner you start taking them the sooner you can get back to feeling ok. Did your GP offer you any counselling? It's good that you have a good support network in your hubby and your family and friends.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and if you ever want to talk, just to let off steam, be reassured that it's all normal or whatever we're all here for you or feel free to email me.

Thinking of you & sending lots of love & hugs.

Claire xx

[Modified by: clairep1 on November 25, 2008 10:05 AM]

• Just wanted to say I hope your okay Jo and I wish you a really speedy recovery. I am sure now PND has been diagnosed you can now start the treatment and things should improve quickly for you, I hope so anyway. Maybe speak to your doc about getting some counselling to as I have heard this does help with the recovery process. Big hugs to you and wee Sam!x!
  • WEll done for admitting it and seeking help. that is the worse part over with. You will have some hard times ahead but overall you will start to feel much better. I took them only for 6 weeks but needed sleeping pills too. (i was not BF) however, everyone different.
    Take care and keep popping in to let us know how you are doing.

d xxxx
  • I hope now that you have recognised that this is present & are taking the medication for it that things get better for you.

You sound as though you have a very understanding & supportive husband & I really hope that with his help & that of your family, friends & those on BE you will get through this.

Good luck, thinking of you
    Lauren xxx
  • Thanks everyone! Lots of lovely messages.

I started taking an AD called sertraline on Tuesday which is supposed to take 2 - 4 weeks to start working, but I'm sure I feel a bit better today already. Maybe it's the placebo effect as I know I'm on the road to recovery.

My doc and the NCT helpline have assured me it's fine to take Sertraline while BF. It's supposed to be the safest one. I'm still worried about it though. I've started doing a bottle in the day now so I'm just feeding first thing and last thing ( and once in the night at the mo!).

I might stop soon though. Hubby is worried about the effects on the baby and I am a little too.

Chat soon all,

Jo x