Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Mar 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

so annoying!!!

hey - just a moan,

I'be been bf my lo now from day one, she's 26 weeks old now. Had a few problems at first but recently its been really really painful to bf and the other day she made me bleed. So off I went to doctors and they did not want to help, so I thought I'd try the hv. I went to the baby clinic and told her and she just looked at me blankly and smiles and stood there silently, so I was like 'well are you not gonna help?' and she just said o right so I rant and raved at her and she just let me get upset then watched me walked out!!! WHAT IS THAT ALL ABOUT! they encourage bf so much and then when you do it but need help my hv is not willing to give it!!! So now Its getting worse and looks like I'm gonna have to stop and I did not really want to.

Just no support. Sorry bout the rant.

xxx

Replies

• Options
    that is bloody awful. I am fuming for you too.

I would go back to docs and demand to be seen. The HV should be shot!!! As you say, they want us to do it but dont seem to back us up when we do.

Has she got teeth?? Could she be biting u? Any unexplained bleed from the boobs should be looked at.

Go back and make them see you and help sort it.

Good luck

d xx
  • Options
    Go back and demand the details of a breastfeeding counseller!!!

Maybe contact the NCT/La Leche for one in your area instead.
    Also try
    www.thebabycafe.co.uk/
    They run baby cafes in various places in the uk where you can go and chat to other Mums and they have a midwife or breastfeeding counseller on hand to answer any questions.

I would also complain to your midwife unit.

I have been lucky, not long after I had my LO they set up a breastfeeding group in my local hospital. It meets up once a fortnght and is run my a retired midwife whi is a counseller and she is great.

Do not let them fob you off and well done for not giving up. Usually if it is painful it is a positioning issue...or maybe thrush?

Amanda
  • Options
    I am not BF but I am disgusted for you the way you have been treated!
    As the others day go back & demand that someone sees you as Dee says any unexplained bleeding from your breast needs examination.
    In the mean time I don't know how this works as I didn't BF Ellie but have you tried expressing & feeding from a bottle? I appreciate expressing is going to be painful as well but it might give you a rest once it's done for a few days.
    Good luck xx
  • Options
    Hi Sarah just wondered how you got on. did you get someone to have a look/help. where i live has the lowest rate of bf in the country so there is little support but they are working on it. really hope you get some help
    sending big hugs
  • Options
    Hi Sarah,

This is terrible. I'm so sorry. My HV bf herself and she's been really supportive. Yours sounds like a nutter.

We have bf groups in our area. Can you find out if there are any services near you? I think most areas have a bf counsellor now.

I rang the NCT helpline in the early days.

I also got a blister at 3 months and I got cream from the doc which sorted it out.

I would go back to the doc. Bleeding at this stage doesn't sound quite right.

If you feel you have to stop, you may be able to cut back to the first and last feed with bottles in between. But this is a last resort - I'm sure you can sort something out if you can find out what the problem is.

I know how you feel tho. I love bf now and I'm not ready to stop yet.

Big hugs,

Jo x