Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Mar 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Christenings

As I mentioned in a few other posts I haven't been on here for a while as no laptop but have been keeping up to date reading posts on my phone !! Baby forum has been hmmmmm entertaining ;\), hopefully its settling now, seems to be. Bit embarassed as a friend of mine is pregnant and i said to her about how useful BE is, she joined a week ago and i think she must think i'm some kind of weirdo cos it hasn't exactly been full of advise of late, i don't think its anyones fault just one of those things. I told her how close you guys are and how you've know each other throughout pregnancies and birth etc and how i wish i found the site earlier, i know i'm new but still have found the site useful and this forum especially helpful and friendly.

Anyway going to ask a few questions/opinons on Christenings, I am a christian not practising in fact the last time I went to church was probably sunday school!! but i do believe in the religion, Paul doesn't at all.
SO questions are;

do you think it is hypocritical to have Erin christened if we aren't practising christians?

do you think it would be ok to get her christened on her birthday / or would that be too much?? (her birthday is Sunday 22nd March)

Is one years old - too old to be christened?

Would it be too late to book it now? how do you book it? CLUELESS :roll:

Sorry for the waffle at the beginning!! Any opinons/ advise would be much appreciated xxx

Replies

• i am in the same boat me and my oh are christened but dont practise. you would need to speak to your vicar at your local church. they will probably want you to attend church at least a couple of times before the christening. you can be christened at any point in your life so 1 is fine (i was 2 when i was christened).
    the vicar should be able to tell you if they are free on that date. you may be asked to make a donation to the church to cover their costs.

if you dont want to have a full on christening then most churches offer a celebration of birth ceremony which is basically the same but you dont have to make any promises regarding their religious upbringing.

also our local church asks that both parents are christened and at least one is confirmed. they also ask that at least two of the godparents are christened and at least one is confirmed. our local church is high anglican so they are really strict. needless to say we ran a mile. we are hoping to get Sam christened at the same church my oh was christened maybe in april.

so basically after all my waffle i would just have a chat with your vicar as they can answer all your questions.
  • Thanks for that, i think i'm going to try and get hold of him tomorrow for a meeting or to arrange a meeting, i'm hoping they might be a bit more laid back/ Its at my mum's local church but i heard that is ok, if its your parents local church. We were all christened there going back to great grandparents so would mean a lot but Paul isn't christened so i guess i'm just gonna have to ask and see what they say. I'm please you are thinking of getting Sam christened next year too as i have only been to ones where the baby is below one year old xx
  • just phoned the church and spoke to a lovely vicar. she was so chilled it was so much more relaxed than the crazy vicar at our local church. booked Sams christening for 1st march.
    hope you get on ok
  • hi mez...what lovely things you say about us....****blushing****

we got amelia baptised this summer. I am a catholic but dont go t church. OH is protestant but says he is an atheist.

I went to a girls convent school and my family are VERY religious sooooo to keep the peace and to allieve any fears I had ( we were told an unbaptised baby will spend eternity in pergutory if not baptised and died....sorry I know that sound harsh..its not my words but it was so ingrained into me that i feel uncomfortable till my babies are baptised)

Anyway, we lived opp a beautiful church once and OH was baptised there. It is a prot church. We had Lauren baptised there, our wedding blessed there (married in St Lucia) and Chris there too. When I had joseph living over here i was not sure how we would get him baptised. I called the vicarage but it was a new vicar. He coud not have been lovlier. He was thrilled that we wanted to keep the tradition going. When charlie was born he was again thrilled. When I emailed him after having amelia he laughed so hard... he said as we left church with charlie...see you next time.....ha ha ha.... anyway, he once again delivered a moving and wonderful service. Afterwards he told me (mez...this may be useful to you) that the Church Of England has brought in new rules. IF your parents were baptised or married in a church then you have the right to have your wedding or children baptised there too even if you dont live in area. Also the same for any church you were married or baptised in our your OH. The numbers getting married in churches or babies baptised have dropped so much that they are doing all they can to make it easier and encourage people back. How lovely is that????

As for been hypocritical. I guess it is a little BUT just because you dont go to church it does not mean you dont beleive. I think if you bring a child up to love and respect then you are doing what some would call Gods work???? Also, you dont need to go to church to pray!

Age... no age is too old. One is fine. It means the old fashioned christening gowns look a bit much but we didnt put any of ours in them. Amelia wore a linen dress in white from mamas and papas with little frilly socks, hat, cardigan and little shoes...she looked lovely. It was all stuff she wore again and again which is a bonus.

good luck. Pick up the phone and call your vicar. If he not nice, try another. Also, be preparerd for a few questions. I was asked why I wanted to baptise my children. I said...... I want her to feel part of Gods family and to have the support of faith to call upon...... (sounds corny but it worked..he was well impressed) really I just wanted a big party and lots of pressies.....joke!!! a

d xxxx

ps dont forget whenever the big day is to post pics
  • Hey,

As I am not a practising catholic & Ellie's Dad hasn't been involved for the last 7 months I had decided when she was born I wasn't getting her christened. However I have now decided I would like her to have a naming ceremony & my mum's friend's church does this.

I hope you Mez & you Chris both get sorted & tbh I don't think 1 is too old at all! xx
  • We only go to church at Christmas but we are having Samuel christened in January. I considered a naming ceremony but I just fancied a christening more.

I don't think it's hypocritical but some people might disagree. We had a civil ceremony at our wedding because we thought a church service might be hypocritical, but I just feel that we want to have a party to celebrate Samuel's life and we fancy a christening.... so there!

Get in touch with the vicar as the rules vary slightly.

We only need the godparents to be christened. I haven't been christened and I don't need to be, although I might be one day. I fancy going back to church more now.

I would say do whatever you feel is right.

Jo x

P.S. I def don't think 1 is too old for christening. Would make for a lovely birthday!