Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Mar 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

cows milk?

morning ladies

just a quick question really,our little ones are allowed cows milk in cereal and stuff now aren't they? Anyway how do you introduce it? if your putting it in cereal for the first time do you use formula milk and a little bit of cows milk to like wean them into it? or just go straight into using cows milk on its own?

thanks
charlie x

Replies

• I give it with cereal and in cooking but she still has formula to drink and will until she's one. With DS I ran out of formula a couple of weeks before his 1st birthday so just switched there and then and he was fine so will do the same thing this time round.
  • i use formula in cereal as I BF her still. I would keep off cows milk till they are one. Just because lot of tots are allergic to true cows milk and better to deal with that when they are older rather than when they are little.
    d x
  • Hiya im a senior nursery nurse for the under 2's and we always advise not to give cows milk on its own as a drink until they are one, but it can be added to foods eg cereal, custard etc from 6 months. not sure of the science behind it all though but thats what our health visitors are still advising!
    you can try mixing it half and half with cooled boiled water in cereals and if they start with bad diarrhoea then this can be a sign of intolerance so switch back to formula then try cows milk again in a few months. Most parents i know just give them all cows milk and dont mix it, but do whatever you feel is best, hope this helps
  • i've been using cows milk in Erin's cereal/meals for the last week as its soo expensive using formula, don't think i ever knew the meaning of the word skint until Erin came along lol!!
  • I've been using cows milk in cereal since the day he turned 6 months - never had a problem. Formula contains cows milk as it is! Not as a main drink until they're 1 tho x
  • they say that lo can have dairy in their diets form 6 months, milk in cereal, yoghurts, custard etc, but it is not ment to replace formula milk til they are 12 months old, but if they do have it it dont do them any harm.. phoebe has been on cows milk since she was just over 4 months old as she werent taking formula at all, the hv said it was fine as long as I give her plenty of dairy stuff to keep calcium levels up..
    my other 2 were also on cows milk to drink by 9 months
    just go with what u think is right for your lo x x x x x