Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 08

Which one???

Hey,

Im having such a BIG problem is untrue! Right, for the story!! I'm going back to work in October and I have been putting off thinking about childcare. Now I am thinking about it I'm stuck! So my question is which is best? Childminder or nursery? There's pro's and con's to them both and frankly I dont have a clue. I dont wana leave her in the 1st place but cant afford not to work! Which is making my decision even harder. There's so many awful stories around about both childminders and nurseries, I;d hate to be responsible for making the wrong decision.

I'd appreciate any help or advice. xx

Replies

• you should be able to get ofsted reports for any nurseries which should give you a rough idea of what they are like. i would visit any suitable childminders or nurserys and see what they are like and if you get a good feel for them.
    my mate was a nursery nurse and she said ask them some of the following
    what there child ratio is it should be 1-3 babies and 1-5 older children
    what do you get for your money do you have to supply food/nappies ect
    have they got outside play areas
    what is there procedure on discipline
    will they take a sick child

hope that helps a bit. i know how you feel i am dreading leaving Sam but cant afford not to go back to work
  • Hiya,

Had exactly the same dilemma a month or so ago. Been a full time mum since having Joe 3 and a half yrs ago and now have Evie too who's 24 weeks. Got a job as a teaching assistant starting in September and really didn't know what to do for childcare. Thought I'd probably go down the childminder route as the one to one care appealed more to me but in the end I've gone for a nursery. I visited loads of CMs, found one that I really liked who could take both children and still take and collect Joe to/from his pre-school but then worked out that mornings would be great for Evie as all the others would be at preschool together but in the afternoons there'd be her plus 4 3year olds so I'd worry about her being left out a bit (or trampled by a hoarde of lively little uns!!) Plus there was no outside space at the house which would give Joe major cabin fever. They're now going to be going to a Children's Centre that incorporates a proper pre school (where all the teachers are Miss/Mrs or Sir which I really like!) as well as a dedicated baby room and wrap around care. Plus Joe can look through the window to the baby room to see Evie which I really like the idea of! As I'm going to be working in a school they've also agreed to only charge half fees during the school holidays which is a bonus for me! I found our local Children's Information Service really really helpful (should show up if you google it for your area) They sent loads of booklets and information out on what to look for in different childcare settings along with questions that you should be asking and what benefits are available to claim.
    Hope you get sorted.
  • I feel for you it is a hard decision.We have opted for a cm. I think when you visist cm's and nurseriesyou will get a feel for whoyou want.
    Good luck,
    Mary xx