Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How many hours do March08 mommy's sleep for?

Asked this question in the baby section too... wanted to know your opinions

copy pasting.....

We have been discussing a lot about lo's not sleeping etc... just wondered how much do each one of us sleep in 24 hours. My lo is 26 weeks and my sleep pattern is as follows

Well myself I go to sleep at 11pm wake up at 1:30am for feed = 2.30 hrs
lo feeds for 30-45 mins .. now am half asleep while feeding (how can I when there is a constant sucking going on my nipple.. which sometimes he bites in between his gums.. there after keep him back in his cot bed and lie down looking at the ceiling for atleast half and hour to 45 mins and then sleep maybe from 3:30am to 6am when he wakes up again = 2.30hrs

feed him again for 30 to 45 mins (half asleep) and put him into his cot bed and snooze for = 45 mins. Wake up at 7:30 and get him and myself some breakfast and he plays plays and dozes of at 9am but I can't get my sleep atall then untill 11pm in the nite hmmm

so all in all a disturbed sleep pattern from past 6 months for just 5hrs 45 mins in 24 hours!!!!

Hubby helps on weekends to look after him after 6am i.e feed him breakfast milk etc... (dont know what I would be by now if I wasn't offered this help thank u so much!)

At this moment I wish for a continuous 12hours sleep (hmmm wish wish wish)
atleast a 6 hours continuous sleep (wish wish)
atleast a continuous sleep from 12midnite to 3 (wish) as thats the time when my body is totally exausted and almost half dead hmmmm

have I babbled a lot unnecessarily in this post?? me thinks anyways let me submit

ZZZzzzzzzzzz zzzzz

[Modified by: bubblynbubble on 23 September 2008 22:39:49 ]

Replies

• OMG that is not a lot of sleep.

Right, devils advocate time (tho I am not one to talk since amelia wakes up still)..... he does not need that many feeds nor for that long. You need to do something or you will get run down. This will go on and on as its a habit not a hunger. You need to skip one feed to start with.....
    everyone is different as is every baby but personally I do the controlled crying. chose a weekend to do so you have hubby support. When he wakes fo r first night feed you need to go in and comfort him after 5 mins crying, then move it to what you are comfortable with. usually heading to 15 mins. The plan is they will go off eventually. Its awful...really awful BUT its for his and your good. Its amazing how you think it wont work for your baby but it does every time. After 3 to 4 nights he will be sleeping through. Buy Gina Ford or some book on sleep problems. I dont like the baby plans she has for new borns etc.. but she is good with sleep guide and potty training guide. She is a bit pompous and makes you feel liek all our fault and that we are bad mums...but... if you ignore that bit and just read about ways to get baby to sleep you will soon be sleeping for 10 hours or more...

ahhhhhhh...............blisssssssss

right, now after dishing the advice I am going to do this with Amelia starting Thurs night as that is start of our weekend over here.

d xxx
  • This will really upset some people, so I am sorry. Although Isabelle has been really difficult in the evening at times over the last 6 months due to colic for 3 months and then changing her bedtime routine as to when she will go to sleep she has been really good at night. In the early days I was only up with her 1-2 times, 3 at the very most. She now tends to go to bed anytime between 6pm-7.30 pm and will then sleep through until about 7am. I usually am in bed by 11pm and then hubby's alarm goes off about 06.30 am. I have got into the routine of getting up then and having a shower while he is still home so at least I am clean and ready whatever the day brings. I have done this since the start as I found if I waited the morning would just disappear once Isabelle needed all my attention.
    Isabelle will get upset at going to bed , but we leave her to cry for so long and then keep going up to her. We only get her up now if the crying goes on for longer than 45 min. This might sound so cruel but she does play us because as soon as we go into her she stops crying and will smile.
    I have also learnt not to go into her in the night at the slightest murmur or cry as she mostly settles herself back to sleep. I am with Dee Dee on the controlled crying. By now I can tell the difference in her crying so I do not feel so bad at doing this.
    I am sure this pattern of sleep will change at some point so I am appreciating how lucky we are now (although I hope this continues).
    Sorry if this post has not helped you. Sending you some sleepy dust for you baby.
    Mary xx
  • Oh my god I dont know how you are all doing it. Deepest sympaphy to all of you xxx

I did controlled crying and Aimee now is asleep for lastest 8pm every night. She sometimes fusses for half an hour, but only cries if shes fussing that much she gets stuck on her stomach, still cant roll back, grrrr....

So I am then asleep by half 10. Aimee wakes at 6am and I usually go in and give her a dummy, and she will go back to sleep til 7am sometimes, others just another half hour. Then Dp gets up and gives her a morning feed and I have a dose. I am very lazy judging by this!!

Like Dee said im sure the night feeds shouldnt still be going on for that long?? I dont know. Could just be habit? Do you have a dummy? or have you tried water? Incase its thirst?

• Sleep........ what is that.... and now I am back at work I am really, really tired, so we are going to start CC tonight as I think Lexi is geting fly now, wee monkey !!

She goes to sleep at 7.30 sleeps until 8.30 then wakes screaming for cuddles, re-settle her then I go to bed for 10ish she wakes between 1/3pm wanting into our bed, she stands up now peaking over the bars and falls hitting her face off the bars, it is horrible, I do try really hard to re-settle her and if successfull she goes to sleep for about 1hr then she wakes up again and it's repeat of above, by the time she wakes at 5ish I give in and she gets in to my bed, stupid I know but I am shattered.

Any ideas on how to stop her standing up and hitting her face on the cot as this is upsetting as she does hurt herself, this would be much appreciated. Sorting this out would be half the battle, think I will post on baby forum to x

I will let you know how they CC goes, as I know it works x
  • Hi Mary.... sounds like you doing a good job getting her to sleep out of your arms..its the harders habit to break but every baby does it wth CC after a while. Like you say after 45 mins to hour you need to intervene incase they have wet nappy etc......

Lynne....as for standing up. Is she in a sleeping bag??? If not I would try one as its much harder for them to stand up in them??

d xx
  • Cheers Dee Dee, not though of that one, but (oh there is always a but) she did not like the sleeping bag last time I tried, she sleeps in the wee fleece PJ's, as does not even like covers. Think I am going to have to put her in her own room sooner rather than later, the thought is horrible, but it will be best in the long run I know. Better get myself prepared for a few sleepless nights running up and down the hall x

• I think I am going to try the control crying method... did try that last time.. but lo continued to cry and was soooo clingy... and ended up having slight fever.. probably bcoz he is teething.. and I was in tears for having let him down...

Oh why dont every baby come with an instruction manual.

Lynne the sleeping bags are great.. my lo rolled and tried to crawl in the bed ... though now he can't image

you know what I have been told .. babies/ children are far more smarter than parents... they need to be controlled there and there itself... they will find a new way to get attention everytime image

xx
    Bubbly
  • sleep whats that? freya is awful! on a good night she will go until 2 or 3 and then feed and go back down until about 6 on a bad night like last night she will wake ever hour or so until in the end i give up and put her in bed with me. i have tried controlled crying and it did work for about a week and then she just went back to the way she was before also i cant do it in the night as oh has to get up for work and she is still in our room as there is no where else to put her as the only other room is phoebes and she cant go in with her until she sleeps through.
    but never mind i am getting used to the sleep deprivation now. x
  • well i would have loved to have made you all jealous and said that we sleep here from 9pm to 6.30/7am.............BUT its all gone wrong this week!! Mia is waking at 3/3.30 am and refusing to go back to sleep. she is gulping 9oz bottles which she never does!! im going to give her cereal aswell tonight to see if it fills her the whole night.

Saying that i have started baby massage and it is brilliant at getting baby to sleep......i gave her a massage at 1ish this afternoon and by 2ish she was flat out on the bed with me....and we woke up at .....5pm!! at least 2 & 1/2hrs sleep clawed back for me yay!!!
    xx
  • Have to say I'm really lucky. Evie's in bed by 7pm and usually goes through til 6.30/7am. That said she's been full of cold, ear infection and teething recently so have had some really crappy (though maybe not by others' standards I appreciate!) where she's been up for 2/3 hours during the night leaving mummy looking like a zombie come 6am when I have to get up for work.

• Hi Dee Dee,

I think the only reason why I have always been able to put Isabelle down to sleep is she has never been a cuddly baby. When she was tiny and had colic she would always throw herself so that I could not cuddle her. I would say she has only probably fallen asleep in my arms about 5 times and I cherish these times as they are so lovely. I hope as she gets older she will like to have Mummy cuddles image
  • Hmmmmm I am such a bad mummy!
    Ellie doesn't sleep that much because her feeding is all up the left still as she's been fussy from the beginning with her milk (roll on monday start of weaning) so when she's taken all of her bottles or most of them she's exhausted- fully belly = sleep!!
    I usually bath her around 9.30pm then she gets a massage & bottle. I have started now putting her into her cot & putting the musical mobile on as before when she lay in bed beside me she would nod off then wake up again whereas now with CC she seems to be getting better & going off usually sleeping for about 10hours at the most.
    When she wakens in the morning she has a bottle & nappy change then we both go back to sleep for about an hour/hour & a half.
    Her 2nd bottle of the day is usually between 12 & half 12 so I get her washed & dressed before this then bottle then usually she'll go back to sleep & sometimes i'll have a lie down as well.
    I don't sleep particularly well at nights because I am SO SO SO paranoid over something happening to her. I know we are all like this but I sometimes go to bed & think tonight's the night I know something is going to happen tonight & i'll often drift off then wake about 5am & jump up to check her ( i've probably only fallen asleep around 1am!)
    Anyway as I say I am looking forward to weaning her & keeping my fingers crossed that she becomes the 'contented little baby' that Gina Ford (it was given to me I wouldn't buy her books eugh) has told me she will be lol.

Good luck to those of you out there with the proper sleepless nights it's not lovely xx

[Modified by: misslauri86 on September 25, 2008 01:58 PM]

• Isabelle goes down really well after her bottle at about 7:30, and then usually sleeps until around 4ish. I give her a bottle because I worry that she's not had enough during the day. Usually, she'll go straight back to sleep, but some nights she wakes again after about half an hour and just screams whatever I do. She'll be awake for 2 or 3 hours. Fingers crossed, this hasn't happened for about a week now.... She generally wakes up around 7ish and plays quite happily in my bed for half an hour or so.