Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Mar 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Bleeding Heavily

Hi Everyone!
Just a bit worried. I had my baby 11 days ago and my blood loss was pretty normal. It came to a complete stop, but then started again and turned bright red today. It was that heavy that it was trickling out of me. I had a major panic attack and rushed to the doctors. Had to have an internal and swabs taken to test for infection. The Dr said that if bleeding gets worse I'll have to have a scan to chack for retained products in my uterus. I'm feeling really scared and bleeding has slowed down a little bit, but is still going. Just wondered is anyone else has experienced anything like this. I didn't have anything like it after giving birth the first time.
Love Rachel XXX

Replies

• Hi Rachel,
    I had a caesarean section 12 days ago and two nights ago I had exactly the same thing. My bleeding had stopped for a few days prior and then all of a sudden i had a gush of bright red blood. I too am still bleeding a bit now. My midwife warned me that it may happen if i 'over did it' and also that it could happen after breast feeding. I know it's not exactly the same as you as my delivery was a c sect but i would think the same would apply either way. Hope you get the all clear soon.
    Claire x
  • Hi Claire! Thanks for the reply! I've been for an ultrasound scan today cos the bleeding hasn't stopped. Apparently I've got some retained products from the birth and my uterus has quite a lot of blood in it. I've got a repeat scan booked for Tuesday morning, and if that shows that everything hasn't come away naturally, then I'll have to be admitted to hospital to have it all removed. I'm feeling pretty scared as the sonographer told me to keep an eye on how I'm feeling, cos if I start to feel unwell it could be a sign that I'm haemorrhaging!!!
    Love Rachel XXX
  • Hi Rachel,
    I hope all goes well over the weekend and that the scan is clear on Tuesday. Take it easy over the weekend and put your feet up! image
    Love Claire xxx
  • hi rachel,
    i hope the scan went ok.
    i haemoraged badly after birth and ended up having a transfusion. then got rushed to hospital on friday via a blue light as i started haemoraging again. not a nice situation to be in and it is very worrying. i hope you sorted everything out. they think my second haemorage was due to infection...possibly picked up when they were trying to stop the major bleed after birth. i guess in them situations although they try and be as sterile as possible the main concern was to stop the bleeding.
    I had 4 doses of antibiotics via IV drip while in hospital over weekend and have now been on a weeks course of oral antibiotics. MW has called to see me today and said uterus could not be felt anymore so thats a good sign...and my blood loss has really tailed off now so fingers crossed im out the woods. Apparently it is very rare to haemorage at all never mind twice!!
    hope your well xxx
  • Hi Rachel
    I really hope things settle down for you and that things get sorted naturally rather than an op.
    Good luck hun
    Maria x
  • Hi Rachel.
    Hope all went well at your scan on Tuesday x
  • Hi Claire! Just waiting for doc to decide whether or not I need a D & C. My uterus lining is measuring at 16mm when its supposed to be 2mm, so there's still a lot of blood in there! I don't feel ill though and apart from the loss, I feel back to normal. Will keep you all informed when I find out what's happening. Just a bit worried about bf Daniel after a general anaesthetic - not sure how long it stays in your system? Love Rachel XXX