Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 08

Wee Lucas after a week with top up feeds...

Right, need advice! Currently I am feeding Lucas myself (off one side only) then giving him 3 1/2 oz of ready made aptamil (only between 9 and 5 during the day every 2 hours). From when he was 7 weeks til he was 11 he only put on 1lb but this week after being topped up for only 6 days he has put on 1lb 2oz! Obviously I'm pleased hes catching up again as he is now 12lbs 15oz. Only thing is a feel 1lbs 2oz is a lot of 6 days. Am I overfeeding him?

He is sick a lot more now but he is still hungry every 2 hours (it used to be every hour). Just wondering what to do? I don't want to give up feeding him myself altogether and would like to feed him morning and night myself as long as my milk will allow. I just don't know what to do anymore! He wants to comfort of the breastfeeding and I know he will be a nightmare when I supliment whole feeds instead of just a top up. Plus, if I am stil feeding him myself at night will he be confused as to why I am not giving him boobie all day? He does use it as a comforter a lot!

Replies

• That's about his limit after hes had his fill from me. I'm quite happy to continue like this for a few more days then maybe supliment some whole feeds instead of half me and half formula. I'm back at work 1 day next week so he will have to do it then! Dunno how I will cope being full of milk all day! I will have to take my pump, oh joy!
  • Hello!

I've had a similar experience needing to supplement bf with formula due to poor weight gain and a lack of milk on my part.

I started with half and half as you've described and she piled on the weight - made it up to the 50th centile quickly. she has continued to eat a lot of formula but in last day or two has started to end a bottle before the end as she is full. The HV said she was just playing catch up- hence all the feeding - and it is starting to even off. However Today she refused the breast! So I'm expressing off and adding breast to some of the feeds. I think she has learnt the bottle is less effort and fills the tummy quicker!

Lisa
  • Yeah, lucas will now only stay on the breast til the initial fast flow is done! Doesnt matter if i have a bottle with me but if i havent it can be a problem.