Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Mar 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Night Terrors

I know Lucas is really young to get them but I am convinced he is. Between 8-11 he can just start crying at the top of his lungs and his eyes are open but no one is home and I can't wake him. Sometimes he cries for ages other times he just cries for a second and goes back to sleep. I suffered from them when I was small and apparently they are heireditory.

Do you think I need to do anything about it? Take him to HV or doctor or just leave it? It's so upsetting hearing him cry like that although if it is a night terror he wont actually remember anything.

Replies

• Options
    Hey!
    Hope you are ok!
    I remember Bella having something like this, it was really scary. She hasnt done it for ages though. This is going to sound really stupid, I am not sure I believe it myself, I was telling my friend about Bella's nightmares and she told me that they wake up like that when their head is growing????!!!! Sounds odd, have visions of their heads expanding in the night lol! Maybe some truth in it?
    Ask your hv, they will prob suggest baby massage b4 bed or summat. Never done it myself so not sure if it will work.
    Hope Lucas has better dreams!
    xx

p.s makes you wonder what they dream about?! BOOBIES!
  • Options
    Night terrors are different from nightmares coz it is in the non dreaming bit of sleep so they are basically not thinking/dreaming anything at all! I read somewhere its like brain backfires so it might have something to do with the growth of new pathways when they are asleep.
  • Options
    Oh Nic this is horrible, I hope you & Lucas are OK.
    It wouldn't do any harm to mention it to HV/GP I don't think, even for some reassurance! xx
  • Options
    charlie gets these loads...he just turned 3. They are spooky. he is crying and screaming for me but I am there.

He did not get them so young but the advice I have been given is to be with them but dont try to wake them or hold them. Just be there to comfort them when they come round.

As he is so young maybe a trip to HV would not be so bad?????

d xxx
  • Options
    Its so hard with me working full time to take him to the clinic. If Lucas keeps crying I do pick him up sometimes. Most of the time he stops crying himself.
  • Options
    This sounds nasty. Poor you and Lucas. I think a trip to the doc is a good idea too x
  • Options
    hiya nic

jay does this sometimes although its not every night its probably only happened about 6 times altogether. I read in a baby book i was given from my hv that if it happens the same time every night you should try waking them just before that time and then put them straight back to sleep. not sure if it works but could be worth a try?Mention to your hv though and see what they say.

charlie x
  • Options
    Sorry Nic that you and you lo are going through this. It sounds very distressing. Hopefully your HV will be able to give you some advice,
    Mary xx