Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Introducing Beaker

Hi

Bub drinks water from his beaker ever since 6 months, I have tried giving him his milk now in the beaker but he refuses it and doesn't drink it atall however hugry he might be. But given the same in his tommy tippiee bottle he would gulp down everything. Beakers are just pushed or thrown away. I tried giving milk in a cup but 3-4 times he poured it all over himself.

How are you getting on introducing the milk in a beaker to your lo's? whats a good approach?
(posting this even in the toddler forum)
xxx
Bubbly

Replies

• hiya
    cant really help as still BF amelia. She takes water in beaker but wont touch even EBM in beaker. Think perseverance might help?????
    good luck
    d x
  • Bought Evie a tommee tippee cup but with kind of a teat on top as I thought it might make the transition easier. Sometimes she takes it, sometimes she won't but if I transfer the contents to her bottle she guzzles it! She's been a bit faddy with her meals recently so I think I'm going to start dropping her afternoon bottle over Easter so will introduce it for that feed and follow it with a snack.
    Xx
  • Yay! this works

got the following reply to my query in the toddler forum from Liz... I think it works... yuppeee.. tried it on Nick today while engrossing him in his toy keeping him on my laps got him drink from his beaker... was slow but he did guzzle up 5oz of his morning milk.. Slowly I'll try to get him off his bottle in the night too. But he wakes up thrice in the night for milk... and I hve failed to take this habbit off him ever since he was born. Any suggestions as to how to introduce beaker for his night feed? Hopefully he will be bored to drink from a baker in the night and give up that habbit of waking up hehe (Fingers Crossed)

thought it might help some of you who are looking forward to change lo's bottle to beaker so posting Liz's reply here to my query....

When I started giving Spence milk in a beaker I began with the morning milk. I used a free-flow spout and held him on my lap as I would with a bottle. At first he would only take a really small amount so I would just leave the beaker within his reach and he would take small sips throughout the morning. I can't remember how long it took before he was guzzling it down but now he has 1/2 pt milk from a sports-style beaker.
    It was much harder to break the bedtime bottle habit. Like you, I tried so many different types of beaker without success. In the end I just went cold-turkey on him. I kept the bedtime routine as normal but rather than me read a story and then feed him bottle, I gave him beaker to hold while I read to him. For the first few nights he went without any milk but after maybe a week he started to drink and now he guzzles it like he does in the morning.

Good luck x

xxx
    Bubbly
  • he still takes 6oz milk at 11pm, 2:30am and 6:30am.... he cries his lungs out if its not given to him
  • He had around 2 x 5-6oz bottles of cows milk in the morning which I have replaced with the beaker. In the night he has 4 x 5-6 oz bottles of formula milk.

We noticed that he gets very constipated with only cows milk hence HV suggested to do this for sometime until his system gets acquinted with cows milk and slowly we can stop the formula milk