Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 08

I've nearly lost it....

Hey,

I really have nearly lost the plot. My lo just wont sleep at night. She's never slept through the night, never attempted to. Longest she has slept is from about 8pm to 3am, but that was only for a couple of nights. We are now back to going to bed about 7.30 and waking up around 9.30 and not wanting to go back to sleep, and when she does she wakes up aout every 2 hrs after that. she's 26 weeks old now. I thought the sleepless nights would have been long gone. Its really stressing me out. I feel the sense of dread when night time comes along. I feel myself getting really annoyed b'cos no matter what I do she just cries and cries.

I've even contemplated going down the Gina Ford route.

Its really hard and I don't have a clue as to what to do next. This feels like it will last forever and I dnt know how much more I can take.

Any help? xx

Replies

• hiya
    sorry no help as im in exactly the same boat as you, i have now been awake for 22 hours. harvey is now 6 months old and worse than ever.
    i to feel like im cracking up. harvey goes down at about 7 as good as gold then come 11pm he turns into the devil, its now 2.15 and he is still awake and i mean wide awake, my 2 year old is also sat with me as he still doesnt sleep through, tonight i have just given up and come downstairs.
    it wouldnt be so bad if i didnt have to be up with the older ones to take them to school in the morning!
    so i know exactly how ur feeling but im sorry im no help. its alright the health visitors saying just let them cry, but when i have 3 other children it just desturbes everyone and the older 2 need their sleep for school.
    when you find the answer or magic cure please let me know as i really would love to have more than 4 hours sleep a night!!!
    lots of love to you xxxx
  • SAm slept through the night from about 6 weeks (utter bliss) but the last two weeks he has been a nightmare at night waking up loads all through the night. im just going with the flow at the mo to see if he is just going through a phase but its not doing my beauty sleep any good lol.
    not sure if this will help but a few people have suggested things to me
    controlled crying
    if you do go in no lights no talking
    give them water instead of milk (at night) so they dont wake up for milk
  • I have no real advice i just wanted to give you both a hug Sarah n Victoria.
    And to say I think you are both absolute supermums!
    I think I take it for granted Aimee is good. And the other night she was up all night with her teeth, I was thinking of u guys who do it all night every night.
    I did controlled crying with Aimee, but like you say with other children it just cant be done.
    It sounds to me maybe they dont know the difference between day and night?? And just think they should nap and play 24 hours a day?
    I take it you do the whole story bath bottle bed routine? Aimee has this so she knows it time for bed and not another nap. She also has sleepbags which she wears just at bed times. I also started to give her cow and gate goodnight milk?
    xxx Big Hugs xxx
  • Thanks for your replies. Victoria2 - I know what you mean - totally! I also have a 5 year old son who needs his sleep and to be taken to school in the morning! I dont think there is a cure! I think we need a miracle!!

As soon as i get the secret to the miracle I will be sure to share! At least we aint alone - cos I know it bloody well feels like it sometimes! My friends have babies are the perfect! and im soo jealous but now I know Im not alone it makes me feel slightly better! So I hope it does you too!!!

Thanks

xx
  • hello, no advice just wanted to say that im in the no sleep club too. i started to give her a dummy last week in the hope taht it would get ther to settle, it has helped a bit in the evenings but she still wakes alot and always ends up in with us. im just hoping that it sorts its self out as like you i ahve another child so its hard to do cotrolled crying. love to you all. x
  • ive been thinking og using that goodnight milk, does it make a difference at all?? i will try anything!!! xx
  • Well it sounds petty now, but i did it coz she was waking at 5.30am.
    Now she goes to 7am and has a play in bed with Dp til 7,45 when he gets up for work! So shes not even hungry when she does wake! Could give it a go,
    If you join the cow and gate baby club they send u vouchers one is ??1 off it so its only ??3.98 in tesco if you use that x
  • Oh guys I thought I had it hard cause Ellie doesn't go to sleep until at the earliest 10pm then wakens at some point most nights either because she's cold after kicking her blankets off (my fault as I forget to put her in the grobag until she's in her cot!!) or because she's lost her dummy but when she sees me she goes mad happy & I end up lifting her into bed with me to get some sleep.
    She's being weaned next week & i'm hoping this will help. My friend used goodnight milk & we called it nightmare milk as we didn't realise at the time that it was so thick so her LO cracked up at not being able to get it out of the teat so at least I know if I do give it to Ellie in future that she'll need a bigger teat!
    I hope something turns around for you guys I really do- good luck & lots of hugs xxx
  • Sorry no advice from me either, as I am in the same no sleep club as you.

Zara goes down great at 7-7.30pm, sleeps till 3 ish then up a couple of times, screaming for milk. Am still breastfeeding so just give her a quick feed and back to sleep. Started weaning last weekend and for 2 nights she only woke once, but we are back to 3 or 4 times again, driving me insane.

If anyone has any tips or advice let me know, and good luck to all of us trying to get a good night's sleep.

Debs :cry:
  • sorry no tips here either image Nick does wake up atleast twice in the night. Goes down at about 7pm then wakes at 11pm, 2:30am, 6am blah!

I think weaning him is helping to some extend in sleeping longer hours at night. He just woke once last night at 11pm .. had his feed. BUT I woke up at 3:30am with no signs of him waking and am waiting for him to wake up ... and he woke up at around 6am! bless him

should say just one of those lucky days! but hey why am I waking up at odd hours and not able to sleep thereafter ? lol... hope he sleeps well tonight too... fingers and toes crossed

xxx
    Bubbly
  • I had the same problem with Alex a couple of months ago. She wouldnt sleep properly until 11-12pm and then wake at 4am wanting a feed. I found that if I tired her out more during the day and reduce daytime napping to a minimum its a little better. Also, I dont go to her straight away when she starts crying. Sometimes during the daytime naps I leave her in her room to cry, as hard as it is, she now knows that crying doesnt automatically mean Mummy will be there with a cuddle.
    She now goes down about 8:30pm and sleeps until 7am. x
  • The only thing I can suggest had already been mentioned...
    try giving more food if you are weaning...
    if you have been weaning for a while try lumpy food... Phoebe started to wake again during the night so I started her on the cow and gate baby spaghetti and things and she loves it... and she did sleep right through that night... just a shame the folloowing night she was up with this cold that has been going round and she hasnt sleep through since Thursday x
  • Really sorrry to hear of your woes girls! Firstly, don't blame yourself. They are all different and the Mums I hang out with whose babies slept through from early on weren't doing anything different.

Samuel woke very frequently in the early months but he did start sleeping through at 5 1/2 months.

I waited until he'd had loads to eat one day then when he woke that night I gave him his dummy in his crib and rocked him gently and said "shhh... shhhh... shhh...." quietly over and over and looked away from him (no eye contact). I also just put a small night light on so as not to wake him so much. He cried for 15 mins then went to sleep. Next night he cried for 20 mins then went to sleep. Third night he mumbled for a couple of minutes and he slept through fourth night onwards.

Having said this, he's had a cold in the last week and has been waking again! I promised I wouldn't feed him milk in the night after he slept through for a month but I have been just to send him off!

It's so tough though, and what works for one baby won't work for another. I hope this might be some use x
  • Sam got up every two hours last night ahhhhhhhh. hopefully this is just a phase.