Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 08

How much do your lo's guzzle in a day?

Hey

Just wondering how many oz your little ones drink in a day in how many bottles?? Also who has started to wean and how have you put it into your routine?
I'm undecided whether to start Bella on solids or move her to hungry baby milk for a while.

Cheers!!!!
Lucy and Bella
xx

Replies

• My lo is drinking around 7-9 oz breast milk, 3-4 times in 24 hours.

xx
  • Hi,
    Isabelle is taking 5-6 ozs at a time about 5 times a day. Morning, lunchtime, before bed, one later in the evening and one during thr day.
    I do not have set times for these, but seem to have fallen into our own pattern.
    Mary xx
    we are using Cow and Gate comfort formula
  • Lucas is having bm in the morning, 3 6oz bottles during the day and bm at night (and wee sooks inbetween if he feels like it). I am going to up him to 7oz for the 3 bottles tomorrow tho.
  • Hey

Cheers for replies!

Bella is on 4 7-8oz bottles (average of 28oz a day)....I was worried she wasn't having enough, she was on a 3hourly routine through the day but she started only taking 3oz a time as she was still full from the last one so I moved her onto a 4hour routine which is better. She sleeps through from about 7.30 ill 7ish. Last few days though she has been waking up between 4 and 5, thats why I was thinking about starting the baby rice mid morning or maybe giving her hungry baby milk for her last feed? I don't want to start weaning her too early, shes nearly 16weeks but was a week late. What do you think?

XXX
  • Doesnt sound like enough milk. A 12 pound baby should have 30oz a day. How much does she weigh? Check here for your daily amount (ignore the bit that tells you what size of bottles, its talking as if you are feeding evenly between night and day:

http://www.justmommies.com/articles/formula-feeding-calculator.php
  • Shes going on 16lbs. Its odd, she just refuses to drink anymore. Shes putting on weight ok though. Maybe I should ask hv. I know she will tell me I have to put off weaning until 6months, but if she won't drink anymore milk I'll have to do something!! How much does Lucas eat, I think they are nearly the same age?
  • this happened to my cousin and what the doctor said was he needed things to get the food thru quicker rather than to just be weaned exactly so he could drink more milk as it was sitting in his tummy too long. Hold on I'll look up what times of purees to try.
  • Hiya Joseph is having 5 7oz bottles during the day and has started having baby rice as he is already on cow and gate for hungry babies. He loves it! Chunky Monkey x
  • I think it was veg purees that help digestion of the milk to speed up. Ask your health visitor tho. Avacado, carrot, sweet potato for 4-6 months but you can add more after that.

Lucas is just about to go on to 7oz bottles 3 times a day plus breastfeeding day and night (plus wee sooks inbetween if he wants)
  • Aww cheers!
    Will def ask hv, its odd tho coz shes puting on loads of weight. Shes doubled her birth size. I gave her a bottle of hungry baby milk last night before bed and she slept better than normal, she just had a wriggle at about 1.30, kept having to go and give her dummy back, then she was up at 5:45 but came in bed with me for an hour.

Hope Lucas is good on his bottles!!

Lu
  • Well, doubling birth weight is actually an indicator that babies are ready to be weaned! A long time before Lucas will double his weight!
  • Evie has 5 x 7oz bottles of SMA Gold in a day, every 3 hours plus baby rice/fruit at brekkie. Lucy, what size teats are you using for Bella? Could be that she's tired of sucking if the flow's too slow for her liking? We had same thing with Evie. On the weaning, HV recommend 6 months but only cos baby can sit better and has better responses to the spoon (or something random like that!) I asked mine yesterday about weaning (thought I'd better as I'd already started lol!) and she said just to stick to baby rice, pureed fruit and veg until 6 months. Avoid anything that contains wheat and dairy til then.
    Without wanting to sound like a stalker, is it you that lives in Burnley? We did when I had Joe and HV came out to do a weaning talk at about 17wk, was quite good though a friend had one a couple of weeks back and she said that the woman who did it was really patronising!!

• Yep tis me from Burnley! Did you have a scetion at burnley general?

Bella is on variflow teats, will it make a difference putting her on fast flow teats? I did think of this but wasn't sure if the milk would come out any quicker than variflows?

I had my weaning visit when bella was 11weeks!!!!!! I thought this was way too early but I think they were trying to put me off weaning her but to be honest I had no intention until at least 5months! However was very naughty today and tried her with baby rice, she still has the tongue reflex though so am going to put it on hold again for a few weeks.

Was reading gina ford book today and I think where I am going wrong is cutting out her 10pm feed, if she had this feed she would be getting more milk, but Bella just doesn't wake up and is happy to sleep through till 5.30 - 6.30. I feel cruel waking her but if she isnt getting enough milk then I might have to.

How did you find it at Burnley General? Have you moved away now?
    Lucy
    x

P.S Nicx, had a look at that calculator and shes nowhere near getting what they say but I thought the x2.5rule only lasted ill they are 4months (or weaning), I really hope I'm feeding her right!!!!!
  • As long as she is gaining weight everything's fine, I wouldnt worry too much image
  • Lucy, don't worry too much about how much she's having. She seems to be putting on a weight just fine and don't bother waking her if she's sleeping thru! Let sleeping babies lie (now they're bigger and older!)
    I weaned Gracie at 17 weeks (hv, gp and paed advised to to help control her reflux) but I started Charlie at 15weeks as he was a hungry baby!
    Who did your weaning talk? Was it Bev the nursery nurse? Or Lindsay? Bev did mine and said try to get her to 17wk and she was happy at that.
    How's it going? Enjoying the lovely weather?! Me and Zoe (see above!) were gonna go Towneley tom but not after the downpours of today! lol x
  • Hi Lucy,

Yep, had section at Burnley with Joe who's now 3 and they were absolutely fantastic, really couldn't fault them. We've since moved just down the road to Clayton-le-Moors which is technically covered by the baby factory that is Royal Blackburn. When we found out that Evie was on her way I asked to go back to Burnley as they were so good and I'd heard some real horror stories about Blackburn! Had an elective section there this time round and they were great again.
    Won't be going back there for the hat trick though, two's enough for us!
    Ali, you're such a wuss - think we should don hats, wellies and raincoats and go to Towneley anyway tomorrow. No? Oh well, if you're sure we'll do LTs instead then!!

Xx
  • Hey Ali and Zoe!!!

Check out the Burnley crew eh!!!! I was going to do townley the other day but thought I would look a nonce on my own!!! Just got a Loola and can't wait to try it out this weekend!!

Not worrying about Bellas milk as I had a breakthrough this morning!! I've sussed that when she gives up halfway thru a bottle its because its gone cool, I have to warm it back up for her....cheeky monkey. She took the full 8oz tho so thats 32 a day which is more like it!

I'd never have a section at burnley ever again, by the sounds of it though I had a one off crap experience, not a problem though as I have no intentions of anymore! I'm just down the road in Padiham.

It was Bev that did my weaning visit, she was really nice. She does the local baby massage, I'm waiting for them to ring with my place on the course. Haven't seen Lindsay for a few weeks.

Hows Gracie Ali? Bella had her second lot of jabs the other week, it was awful. I remember gracie going for some and she was poorly. Bella was a nightmare for about a week after and she hasn't been the same since. Not looking forward to the next lot.

Are you both on facebook?

Lucy and Bella

xx
  • Lucas weighs about 16lb is now on 8oz every 4 hours in the day, then we wake him at 11.30 for a feed, then he usually sleeps until 6.30ish... I was going to speak to health visitor about putting him on babyrice, he's always finishing the bottle, and sometimes even wants more! He's 15 weeks now... very hungry baby!
  • jayden drinks 5-6 8oz bottles a day (of hngry baby milk) and this morning he got up and drank 12oz.spoke to the hv yesterday and she said hes ready to be weaned so going to start with a bit of rice half way through his bottle in the mornings.
  • sticky86 - where did you get your bigger bottles from? we're using dr brown, and they're only 8oz!!! & how much does Jayden weigh, and how old ?