Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 08

Potty Training.

So, im thinking I should really start soon as shes 18months and it seems everyone around is.
Too be honest im really dreading it, i dont know why.

Aimee isnt saying any words yet so going to be hard. Thought she would at least to be able to say wee and poo by now!! Haha.

So I just wanted any tips on training. How anyone has done it? My friend said her little girl caught on in 2 weeks by letting her walk around bottom less and watching for her weeing then sticking her on the toilet.

Also, in your opinion, would you just buy a standard potty for ??3.99 out of tesco or is it worth forking out ??15 for one in argos that is a potty then a seat on the toilet and a step?? haha.

Please help! x

Replies

• i just want to agree with what steph said. lots and lots of children arnt potty trained until the age of 3, and tbh i really dont thin that there is any point until they are 2. by all means have a potty around to get her used to it but dont try to force her as it doesnt sound like she is ready. i trained phoebe just after her second birthday and she took to it raelly quicky as she was ready and could understand what she had to do. freya isnt ready yet, she gets embaressed when she is pooing and runs off to do it and she tells me once it is done but she doesnt want yo sit on the potty yet to do it so im not going to make her. they are only 18 months there really arnt many children who are trained at this age. i would wait another 6 months or so or at least until she is giving you clear signs that sh eis ready to do it other wise you will jsut both end up very stressed. xx
  • Hiya

Please don't feel stressed about others doing it. She is not ready if she can't tell you if she needs to go. Some mums are so obsessed with their little ones been dry that they rush into it. This just causes undue stress to you and the child.

buy or borrow Gina Fords potty training book. It became my bible when potty training. Its really good and full of ideas and tips.

d xxx
  • I think this age is still very young to potty train. I think very few toddlers are PT this young.

Don't feel presurised by the older generation either. I remember reading somewhere that most babies are PT older these days because the magic gel in the nappies is so amazing at sealing away all the wetness that LOs don't know when they've done a wee. I can imagine LOs would have wanted to get out of nappies quicker in the past if they were walking around like John Wayne in a big wet terry nappy!! He, he...