Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Near disaster in Starbucks!

Hi girls.

OMG - please learn from my very near safety nightmare today.

I was having a coffee today with other new Mum mates and I had Samuel on my lap waiting for a breastfeed. I sat him upright supporting him on my knee with one hand on his chest while I leant forward and undid the tie at the back of my top with the other hand. In the blink of an eye the little monkey grabbed my mug and pulled one giant wave of decaf soya milk vanilla latte towards himself. I managed to stop the flow half way and THANK GOD only the cool foamy bit washed over his baby hand.

My heart skipped a beat as I waited for his wails and I had visions of blue light runs to the burns unit. But he just sat there looking puzzled and wondering why everyone jumped into panic mode. I thrust his hand in a glass of cold water which he thought was a fantastic game :roll:

I am going to be SO much more careful now around hot drinks now. Our babies are suddenly at an age when they can grab anything in the blink of an eye.

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you if my guardian angel is watching over us!

P.S. the lovely staff gave me another free coffee and cleaned up the mess. Bless them! Just as well mind you since it's nearly ??3 for a coffee!

Replies

• Oh gosh. Thats scary.
    I meet the mums every Friday in a Costa Coffee so ill definitely be more alert now!! xx
  • that was a close one. from now on you need eyes in the back of your head. x
  • Yeah - they're so quick and strong now. It's unreal. All Samuel had to do was tell me he didn't approve of my pretentious drinks order.
  • Sam likes grabbing the handles of mugs so i have to make sure that everything is a baby arms length away. i think they do these things to worry us
  • i'm so pleased he wasn't hurt!
    i've noticed ellie becoming quite fascinated with pretty much everything lately & she grabs anything that's put in her way even though she's a wee weed with no strength!