Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Mar 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

skin

I have not been here on a while, but I really need advice!

My daughter has really bad ezcema. The doctors don't know what to do with her. I've tried every cream, every lotion, everything they have suggested but its just getting worse! Its so bad now she scratches and scratches and makes her skin bleed! Its awful. She's cut all her arms and legs by scratching so severely. I've even resorted to putting mittens on her again!

Any advice on this would be great! Sometimes othere mothers' advice is better than a GP!

thanks. x

Replies

• Hi Sarah

I feel so sorry for the state you are in. I was in a similar state when Nik was born i.e from day 1 he has these bad itchy patches and me as a mum couldn't help him with anything. I did speak to the docs about this all they said oh... its normal...blame it on the hard water here.. and gave me a lotion to soften the hard water 'Oilatum' and and body cream named as 'double base'. I kept telling the peadiatrist, docs, nurses, health visitors, mid wifes that this is eczema and they kept saying no its not.. saw my baby suffer through all these 6 months until I went to India where the docs immediately diagnosed it and said it is childhood eczema and will last another 2-3 years. His eczema had flared up so much in the heat that they gave him steroids for 5 days and got it into control. They prescribed a cream to be applied on the flared up part which is really good.

I know I havent' been of much help... but just to let you know am with u...n know wat u are going through

xxx
    Bubbly
  • Hi Sarah,

Nice to see you back on here. Hope you are doing well.

Both my husband and my eldest daughter suffer with eczema so i too know how you're feeling.

We too had all the creams, lotions etc. We then started trying to rule things out of her diet that could be a trigger. For her we found that organic full fat milk helped as oppose to normal full fat. Also too much chocolate (Christmas & Easter always cause big flare ups!).

For my husband, his is dairy products & wheat. He has to cut right down or he has a flare up. Also the time of year & stress can trigger his.

My cousin always just to flare up after drinking orange squash when she was young.

What i'm trying to say is try identifying what food or drink could be triggering it. I.e if she has it constantly then it's probably something she's having on a daily basis. You can have allergy testing done if you feel like you're getting nowhere but you may have to pay for this.

Also make sure she always wears 100% cotton.

The central heating this time of year probably isn't helping. It dries the skin out so perhaps a humidifier may help.

Also i found that cutting down Abigail's bath's made a huge difference. I always bathed her daily but on the advice of my GP i cut down to twice a week and that made a huge difference. Bathing too regularly will strip the skin of it's natural oils also i've also heard that frequent baths have helped others with eczema so it's just a case of whatever works best for you.

Do you use Johnson's baby products? If so throw them in the bin. This was another thing that used to cause Abigail bad flare ups and everyone i've spoken to has said the same thing.

I hope something helps. Keep us posted and let us know how you get on.

Claire & Olivia xxx
  • Thanks Claire

Your answer has helped me too!

Yeah the Johnsons products are rubbish... his skin does flare up when used

xxx
    Bubbly
  • Sorry to hear your LO is in so much pain Sarah.

I agree with Claire. We don't have eczema in our families so I'm not talking from personal experience, but my friend's little girl had cradle cap when she was young which got much worse when weaning started. She eventually discoverd TOMATOES were the trigger. She's fine now at 18 months and she avoids tomatoes. P.S. She's also allergic to cats and dogs - gives her a nasty chesty cough x
  • Thanks for your replies - I'm going to doc's again with her to see what else they can do! I will try the things suggested in your replies!! Its so hard to try figure out what the cause is!!
  • hi

all my except amelia so far have had or still have eczema.

It runs in my family/

various things like diary, wash powder, soaps etc are the guilty party.

dont use anything but NON bio wash powder and NO softner. Use only things like the simple range of bub bath and shampoo.

I apply cream like QV, E45 etc.. about twice a day EVEN when they dont have a flare up. If flare up happens I apply 5 times a day and if gets worse then a 1% hydrocortisone cream. Also, i give something like childrens piriiton medicine as this is antihistamine and stops the itching.

Keep rooms like bedroom aired as much as possible and add a humidifier if possible.

Vacumm and damp dust bedroom and vacumm the matress and curtains etc...

I know all this sounds a bit over the top but it does help keep flare ups down.

Keep food diary and reaction to each thing to see you can isolate a trigger

good luck

d xxx