Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Mar 08
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Sunroof club?

It seems that there are a lot of us in the "Sunroof Club." A lot of our babies couldn't or wouldn't come out the normal way and decided that coming out of the top would be better!!!

How are we all healing? How did we find the experience immediately after?

I have to say it was all a bit of a shock for me since I was not expecting a section. I hadn't even read up on it much as an option because I thought I would just go naturally (all be it induced lol). I am getting so much better now though after 5 days and I am mastering the art of sitting up from lying down! Taking me a while though. My wound is so neat and I didn't have any bleeding out of it or much bruising after. Well saying the registrar was a woman, she was very neat!!! Midwife visited me for the first time today and is very pleased with how I'm doing.

Looks like next time I will have to either go naturally or have a section at 40 + 10...

Replies

• Sunroof club - I like that!!
    Evie's 3 weeks old today (can't believe how quickly that's gone!) and we're both doing great. She's gaining weight nicely (8lb 6 1/2oz yest!) and I'm all healed. Just waiting for the mastitis to clear up but antibiotics should be kicking in anytime so fingers crossed.
    Finally been discharged by midwives after lots of missed visits (them not me!) so feel like I'm getting my independence back a bit. The one that came today said I should be fine to drive now too as long as I check with insurance company first. Mother in law is off this week to ferry us all round though so may continue to milk the free petrol til next week! OH is dreading me driving again, he thinks it's likely to conincide with the purchasing of lots of little pink clothes - me, shop? Just as if!!!!
    Glad you're healing well too, first couple of days you think you'll never be able to get upright from flat but the more you do it the easier it gets! I sinned and lifted my (rather solid) nearly 3 year old into Granny's car today and could certainly feel it but thankfully it didn't hurt!
  • I like that lol
    The one thing about sunroof babies are that they usually have nice shaped heads as they don't get squashed like in normal birth.
    Mind you they had trouble getting Ellie out because she was squashed right down due to the membranes coming out through the cervix. Her head was stuck fast, bless her.
    maria x
  • Olivia was a sunroof baby although it was elective after an emergency c/sec under g/a with my first daughter.

That was 3 weeks ago and i am recovering really well. After checking with my insurance company i started driving again last weekend. The worst bit was sneezing afterwards - that hurt!

Claire x
  • Oh yeah sneezing is the worst!!! When you feel one coming on and there is nothing you can do about it its horrible!!
  • Lucky you Lara!

I took a coughing fit tonight and it really really hurt!!!! Now I feel like I am back to how I felt 3 days ago!!! image
  • Yeah, I think it's mostly the psychological aspect of it. You can better prepare yourself for a planned section and have a more positive outlook about it. I was in shock and that obviously affects recovery. The last thing Iexpected was a section!!! Oh well, at least my lady bits are still in tact!!
  • I agree totally. I developed mild PND after the emergency c sect with my first daughter which i believe was down to the shock of the delivery and the recovery afterwards.

This time just being able to be awake has made a huge difference and i'm still buzzing from the whole experience. The surgeon even let hubby film it so i've been watching it over and over!!
  • Hi Girls

I ended up with an emergency section after 20 hours of labour. I thought it was awful. They didn't do my anasthetic properly and I felt most of the pain, when I told them I could feel it the guy didnt believe me and just left me there. I went into total shock and was really poorly afterwards with my blood pressure which meant I couldnt breastfeed properly because I was so exhausted and ill. I hate it when people comment that a section is the easy way out, it so isn't, it was the worst experience of my life apart from getting my beautiful baby girl (who is the healthiest baby ever surprisingly!!!!).

My physical recovery has been ok though. I havent needed that many pain killers, good job because all i was prescribed was paracetemol!!! They don't even shift a headache for me! Its 3weeks since it happened and I can get up and do things nearly the same as before.

The whole experience has made me petrified of getting pregnant again. I'm frightened of going near the hospital, I have my appointment for my six week check up but I'm frightened of going. I just want to cry everytime I think about the whole thing.

Anyone else with a bad section experience?

Lucy
    xx
  • I was determined i was not going to go through another emergency c with Ellie, but of course these things are taken out of our hands. This time it was touch and go for both of us as my sats went through the floor. It took some time to recover, but i have also been ill and my emotions are all over the place. Having suffered pmd with levi, I am more aware now, but i believe support is the main remedy. So if you are offered help take it with arms open wide, but if everything seems hopeless, then seek medical help. Don't leave it!
    Maria xx
  • After having 4 normal ish deliveries and then an emergency section I am still in 2 minds as to which was best/worst. The length of recovery is def worse with section. I had planned section and was just getting head round it but when I woke up pouring blood out of me I went into deep shock. This was monday night and on sunday the doctor had said the worse case scenario would be me bleeding at home! I was so scared. I must post birth story..dont have time to write it??? Mind you it is theraputic sometimes to write it down!
    Anyway, my planned section became an emergency and it was not pretty!
    I also got sterilised which gave me after pains. Sneezing..ow, coughing..ow and sitting up still hurts now at 31 days!!!! I sat up holding baby last night and thought that a cheese wire was pulling me from inside...ow ow ow! I was in tears!
    I really dont know why people chose elective sections with no given reason. My scar is ugly and almost hip to hip as they had to make big incision to get deep into me to deliver the low placenta. Its ragged and still angry looking.
    I have had fab support from family visiting which has been great. Hubby has had to go to Libya on business for next ten days and I beside myself! he was supposed to go when I was 33 weeks but with the previa diagnosed he did not go and thank god as he would have been away when I bled!

To sum up....the birth is quicker, you keep your ladies bits in tact and you can plan (if planned section) BUT what far outweighs all this is the pain after, you cant drive, lift other kids and you feel really shit for a long time!
    d x