Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Reflux

Hiya , out of interest was wondering if any of the march babies have reflux? Owen has been on gaviscon since he was 6 weeks old. He is now 17 weeks but for the last 2 weeks the gaviscon is no longer working and he is in almost constant discomfort whilst awake. He has gone from a contented happy smily baby to a grouchy baby, not wanting cuddles and difficult to settle.
I have been fine up until this point but today it has got to me. Im worried because he seems in so much discomfort, coughing, arching back, excessively dribbling and projectile vomit on occasion too and constant crying out when awake. I am so scared it will get worse and i wont cope with my 3 year old and baby if he is so unsettled. My oh is away for two weeks at weekend so will have to just be own and i dont like to go on about it to friends as they think im moaning and its not that bad! But after 2 weeks of having to constantly distract him and hold him whilst having another child is starting to stress me out! Phew. Sorry for the moan xxx

Replies

• Options
    My lo was diagnosed with reflux a couple of weeks ago. I had wondered since she was really young if it was reflux, but because it is mainly silent reflux I thought perhaps it was just wind (since that was what people kept telling me). But eventually I decided it must be reflux, partly because after 12 weeks it didn't[ get better. Actually, it seems to have been getting worse over the last few weeks. We have been prescribed an anti-acid and today, something which will help thicken her milk so it is less likely to come back up. The doctor didn't give us gaviscon because Freya is breast feed and she said that a large number of breast fed babies refuse it.

Okay, so this is taking me a long time to get to the point. I wanted to say how horrible it is to hear our lo's in so much pain. It is heart breaking and had me in tears yesterday. I hate feeling like there is nothing I can do. Freya sleeps less well and then is grouchy. I find it really hard. And it is hardest when she can't sleep because of her pain and the only way she can sleep is lying on my stomach. Freya is my only lo and so I can't imagine how hard it must be for you with two image.

Have you tried going back to the doctor to get different medication - there is other stuff that they can give you and perhaps it is worth trying those. I am also going to try cranial osteopathy, another girl with a reflux baby recommended it to me so I'm going to see if it will work. I'll try anything.

Mainly I wanted to say ME TOO...but also, do try something else if you don't think the gaviscon is working. You know your lo best and you know what is and isn't working.

Ally x
  • Options
    austin had this when he was tiny but after a week of gaviscon we changed his bottle feeds to easy digest milk and it sprted it out, he was about 7 weeks old then. but it came back 2 weeks ago and is now sick after each feed, only little bits but over and over. hv said it can come back but he can't have gaviscon cos the milk is already thicker and to keep him upright after feeds, not helping. I agree u shld ask ur gp about any alternatives u cld try, its awful seeing them in such discomfort isn't it. xxx
  • Options
    Can you up the doseage of gaviscon anymore? If not then I think there are stronger alternatives out there which may help.

I think Riley has it as he does the whole crying, back arching, gagging and being sick so I've started giving him gavison and think its made him better. The last two nights he's been ok (touch wood) but for a few nights before that he would wake for a feed and as soon as I put him back in his cot the crying and back arching would begin. It's horrible when you can't console them, I would sometimes sit there crying with him. But I've taken his bouncy chair into his room so at night if he starts I put him in that with the vibrate on and bounce it myself a bit. If that doesn't work then out comes the hairdryer!

Hope you get it sorted xxx
  • Options
    Thanks so much for all of your replies! It's very kind of you all to reply and be so helpful when i have not been on here really since owen was born! My laptop broke and oh is always on pc in the evenings!

ally_e - thank you for your empathy. It's always nice to know that other people are having the same problems and so you are not alone or even 'getting yourself at it' as people do just say well it's wind or teething etc. I hope freya settles better for soon or that the gp will try some different medication for you too. x

siany - i too have found that they can have a good couple of days/ weeks and then it all kicks off again! Hope the gaviscon help austin until he is old enough to wean or grow out of it! Keep us posted on how you are getting on x

xkelx - the difference that gaviscon can make is amazing. I hope it lasts for you so that you have a happy baby soon. The constant need for attention is wearing x

I hope everyone gets more settles babies soon. Am going to ocs this pm so will see if i get fobbed off....xxx