Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

do you feed lo to sleep?

Just wondering what order you do your bedtime routines in? Ive always fed Max last as it makes him calm and sleepy-he's usually almost asleep when i put him in his cot.

Im not sure if this is bad as he can't breastfeed himself to sleep forever! Should i change the order and feed first then do book/ wash etc after? I don't think this would go down very well!xx

Replies

• no i do that too! if he wakes a little by the time i take him up i settle him back down with warm juice and rock him, works most of the time, sometimes i just let him lie in his cot and replace the bottle with his dummy and he he drifts off!

xxxx
  • We always feed Millie last too. We give her a bath, then get her pjs on and into her sleeping bag, then whilst we give her a bottle we read her a story! Really need some new books actually as Im getting fed up of reading the 6 we've got over and over! lol

She is very sleepy if not asleep (9 times out of 10 she will be asleep) when we wind her, either way she just goes straight down now, we used to have to sit in the rocking chair and rock her for 10 mins or so but she seems to have grown out of that now! image

She sleeps through the night 7.30pm til 8.30am so I now she can settle herself to sleep. She sometimes wakes later in the evening 10pm ish and we hear her on the monitor crying a bit but if you leave her a few mins (no longer than 5) she settles back to sleep herself! I think I use to disturb her more rushing to her straight away when maybe she was just dreaming or something!

xx
  • We do just about the same, whilst bath is running, we have a bounce on the bed (I'm convinced amelia will be a stunt woman she loves being thrown around!!), then bath together, daddy then gets her dry, puts her in pj's & sleeping bag. I will then have a cuddle and a sing to her cd and then daddy gives her bedtime bottle. She generally is very sleepy by the time she has finished and is normally put down to sleep just about asleep.
    Amelia does wake in the night, not for a feed, but can't always resettle herself so I have to get up and give her her dummy back.
    Its hard to put her down awake though without bringing her bathtime forward which I think would be too early.
    MG Mummy - Your lo is good at night, I think I need to be a bit stricter and let amelia cry a little longer before going in if she doesn't settle herself
  • Not sure if this will help as Peter's bedtime feed is a bottle of EBM and I know Max won't take a bottle but our routine is as follows:

6:00 Massage which usually ends with us looking out the window for a bit (I'm going to replace this with dinner from next week)
    6:30 Bath
    6:50(ish) Dried and put into sleep suit and sleeping bag for the night
    7:00(ish) Bottle
    7:10(ish) Story
    7:15 (ish) Put into bed, usually awake, and his mobile turned on.

We can often hear him fussing for a few minutes but I leave him for 5 minutes before going to try to soothe him. 4 times in 5 he will put himself to sleep. The fifth time he will still be hungry or need to burp and will go to sleep on my shoulder before being put down again.

He still wakes at least twice a night for food and is now starting to have to be put down awake after his nighttime nappy change. This is a real pain as he chats loudly to himself but he did eventually put himself back to sleep at 4:30 this morning and slept through until 7:30 which is encouraging.

I wouldn't worry too much about putting him down sleepy if not actually asleep. Once he is properly on solids you might want to see if he is using the night feed as a way of getting himself to sleep but at the moment he definitely needs the nutrition so there isn't much you can do, really.
  • I feed Evan to sleep everytime which i did with both my other sons also. If he ever stirs then i just rock him to sleep. Im not worried about it, il work on him settling himself when hes older xxxx