Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09

Stressing about baby weight

Hi ladies! Long time no post! I've been reading just not writing.

I'm really worried about Spencer's weight, it suddenly dawned on me that on tuesday he's going to be 2 months old and he's still in new born clothes. He weighed 6lb 12oz when he was born then he went down to 6lb 3oz and now when he was weighed monday he was 7lb 15oz. I'm breastfeeding so i never really know how much he's getting but he always seems content. Surely he should've put on more by now.

How much weight have your lovely babies put on?

I'm going to speak to the health visitor tuesday when he's weighed again. If i have to change to bottle feeding then i will coz as lovely as it is having a tiny baby i don't want to get to 3 months and find he's only put on one more lb.

It's so lovely to come on here and be able to taslk about stuff

gem gem and tiny spencer
xxx x

Replies

• Hey I don't think you've got anything to worry about or, like marnb said, the HV would have said something.

Don't go by the size of the clothes because I'm sure they make them too big anyway! Riley is 5 weeks old and when he was weighed two weeks ago was nearly 6lb, I think he must be about 6 and a half now at least and he's only just growing out of his early baby clothes which go upto 5lb! I'm so pleased that he is now big enough to fit into his tiny baby clothes, can't wait for him to be in newborn!
    xxx
  • hi gem gem

Austin was 6lb12 too and dropped down to 6lb10 which was just amazing! however a week later he still was 6lb10 so i went back to birth centre for a few nights just to check he was feeding properly. after a couple of days he'd put on a few ounces so we went home. but then he started serious cluster feeding in the afternoon and evenings and i was just knackered so i spoke to the health visitor and although his weight was good she did say that maybe i needed to up my calorie intake so that he got what he needed in one good feed instead of 10 lol! i also introduced a night time bottle just before bed and his weight has been fantastic. he's back on the 9th centile line that he was born onand last week at 5 weeks he weighed 8lb6 (still 9th centile) so heavier than spencer. but if spencers weight was an issue then ur hv shld have said something but try upping ur calorie intake and make sure ur eating and drinking regularly ie brekkie, elevenses, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner and supper once i did this it all fell into place, and maybe introduce 1 bottle a day to enable u to keep on breastfeeding longer rather than fully bottlefeeding.

also re the clthes sizes as kel says don't rely on them as Austin is now in 0-3 but purely cos he's long and he's toes curl up in newborn lol but the body bits are massive on him hehe.

xxxx
  • My lo has put on 3.5 lbs and is now 7 weeks. No matter how much or how little they put on its all a worry! I mix feed as bf was not enough for him.The HV will say something if there is an issue.
    The weight chart in the red book is based on American formula fed babies so its not a very good guide for those exclusively bfing xx
  • my little man was born 39 weeks n was 5.5 @ birth then dropped to 4.14 now and at 5weeks +4 he was 8.9lb he is EBF and only really feeds for 5 mins a time usuallybetween 2,1/2 - 3,1/2 hrs i must have super milk lol but hes still tiny just out of tiny baby clothes n in newborn now
    xx jo n bean
  • Thanks for your replies.

Your babies seem to have put on lots more weight than Spencer.

He was on the 9th percentile for his birth weight but since then he's been on the 0.4th and he's heading to the lower part. When i first went to get him weighed the stand in hv seemed really concerned and made me start a food diary coz i wasn't finding much time to eat, since then i've been eating loads. I've expressed too and i get lots out so i know it's not that. He is very sick after feeds but i've told the hv and the doctor this and they don't seem to care. Are your babies sick alot?

My normal hv doesn't seem to fussed but i think i'll air my concerns tomorrow.

I'd love to mix feed and give a formula bottle so i hope she says that will help, hubby's dead against it so if the hv says its ok then he'll think it's ok too.

I'll let you know what happens tomorrow

xxxxxxx
  • Hi again.
    If Spencer is sick a lot could it be something in your diet maybe that he doesn't agree with?
    I was feeding Riley EBM at first but it brought him out in a rash everytime I fed him so I quit and went to formula and he's been fine.
    If you do go to giving a formula feed there is Aptamil Easy Digest which is good for sicky babies. I use it with Riley as its good for wind too.
    Hope you get on ok tomorrow.
    xxx
  • hi again Austin used to be sick after every feed and the GP said it was reflux, she precribed some infant gaviscon which we used for a few days and really helped, he's hardly sick at all now

hth xxx
  • Hi Gem,

lovely to see you back on here! I think you should have a good chat with your hv-for peace of mind and some suggestions of the best way forward. You've been doing so well with the bfing it would be such a shame to give up but i think mix feeding could help if your hv thinks Spencer needs to gain more weight.

Why is your hubbie so against it?! I think most people introduce a bottle at some point, i think the hv would say it's entirely up to you.

You may find that Spencer starts gaining weight quicker now, once their tummy's start getting bigger they can take more in. That's what happened with Max. Don't judge by clothes size, Max is still in newborn and even some of his 'tiny baby' stuff .

Spencer will get there-these 'centiles' and 'growth charts' are a load of rubbish anyway-so many of my friends hate them as you're made to worry no matter what.

Have you posted over in 'breastfeeding', they're very helpful over there xx

• Yay Spencer is now 8lbs 5oz!

Went to the hv today and after seeing he'd put on a nice amount i decided to bring up the sick thing. I really had to make a fuss for her to say anything it wasn't til i said should i try infant gaviscon that she said it would be best to go to the gp first. So i popped into the doctors and had an appointment this afternoon. The doctor was fab and actually saw it as a problem so i've got my infant gaviscon and if it doesn't work i have to go back in a couple of weeks. I feel so much better now. Thanks for all your replies.

Siany how do you give Austin his infant gaviscon. It says mix it in a paste? hubby tdid it tonight and it didn't seem mixed in properly.

xxx

• just a little advice huni, i know a woman who's baby was only putting on tiny amounts of weight and it turns out that the bay is lactose intolerant, just tellin ya cause her health visitor didnt pick up on it and it took six weeks for anyone to specify what was going on! maybe get him checked if your worried

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Fab news Gem-well done!!xx
  • Fab news Gem-well done!!xx
  • yay thats great gemgem, glad Spencer has put on a nice chuk of weight.

we mixed it exactly how it said on the packet and it never turned into a paste lol, just stayed rather watery but one dose a day seemed to be enough anyway so we just gave him that one mixed with his evening formula feed. it confused me too cos i was expecting like a thickish paste but just ended up with yellow water lol and had to try to spoon that into his mouth lol, got a tad messy lol

xx
  • Thanks Siany.

Spencer is having it three times a day and at the moment i'm using the dropper thing out of an old infacol bottle whuch seems to be ok but i may try expressing so i can just mix it in with the feed.

It seems to be working already he was only sick once after his 6pm feed so fingers crossed

xxx