Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09

do you ever struggle to fill the days?

Im really lucky that my oh is home from work at lunchtime each day, ive got 2 mummy friends who are on Maternity leave and 1 who works part time, my mum works in a school so finishes at 3 and is off all summer and i see the mil once a week plus my girlfriends at weekends but i still find it hard to fill the days.

I think, because Max sometimes wakes really early and never naps longer than 20minutes, the day can be long and i often find myself stuck for something to do. I plan something everyday but if i meet someone, it's for a couple of hours and then there's the other 10 hours to fill! Ive just never had so much free time, im used to working and then cramming everything in at the weekend-the slower pace has been a shock to the system and Max is so active, he never sits still!!x

Replies

• ... crashing from born in April - but I am in exactly the same boat!

Judith + Dexter
  • I have days like that. I don't have as many people to see as you do, mainly my mum as she works mornings so usually has the rest of the day free.
    But I've been so tired recently I've not been bothered about doing much! Today Riley woke at 6am then we both went back to bed at about 7am till 9am. He had another nap at lunch but was tired again at about 2pm so we both went back to bed and slept till 4pm! I even fell asleep last night when me and oh were watching a film so we went to bed fairly early so I don't know why I've been so tired today, think all of his crying just tires me out! x
  • My oh is home by about 3pm and most mornings seem to fly but Amelia does have a long nap in the morning and about half hour after her lunch. We have something planned for everyday, even if its just a walk around the village. Most days we see friends or family so we always have someone else to talk too, plus amelia loves being around other kids.
    If we're not doing anything it will be because amelia is over tired and needs a days rest, so we have a snooze together in the afternoons!!
    I hate rainy days, and if we have a few days of it, I do get cabin fever but more because amelia hates being home all the time, I think she finds me boring after a while!!
    I must say, I found not working difficult to start with but I'm loving my maternity leave now, especially as amelia is starting to interact more and her personality is really starting to develop.
  • My days seem to fly by !! I feel like by the time I get us both fed and ready, made bottles, dishes, washing ironing and all the rest of it its almost next bottle time !! I try to go for a walk to the shops, or see my mam once or twice a week but I feel like im on a wheel and its not alot of fun. i'm used to working full time and being at home there just always seems to be something needing to be done !! my friend also had a baby girl the day after me but straight after she had her she started up her own hairdressing business so she doesnt have much time free and everyone else is working or getting on with there own life !! Lucy is 5mth old now and I feel i really need to get out of this house and meet some other mums even just once a week !! I'm booked on a baby massage class in a few weeks but all the groups are "play groups" and lucy isnt old enough to play !! Never though maternity leave would be so lonely and boring ! Ive just been looking at baby swimming lessons they are about ??15 a lesson for about 6 - 8 weeks which is alot of money but i'm gonna have to do something as i feel like im going around the twist !!
  • I do gymboree which is has classes nation wide which are a great way of meeting other mums. I seem to have full days everyday which get hard sometimes as I just want to rest! I meet with members of my NCT group, other local mums that I have met at groups and coffee shops, we go for lunch/coffee/shopping trips etc. I am so glad that I have had maternity leave in the summer! However it is all ending for me as I am back to work in September.... really sad about it! You will never get time in your life like this again so enjoy it and take full advantage!!xx
  • Glad its not just me then! Don't get me wrong, im loving every minute of being at home and im dreading going back to work , id love to stay home and look after Max.

I think i put too much pressure on myself to have stuff to do every day, i love sitting and chilling but Max doesn't-he loves to be out and about but it's hard to find places to be out and about to xx