Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09

Any other Marchies still having a night feed?

Just following on from missymoo's post-are any off the other March babies still having a night feed? If not, has anyone got any advice for dropping that last feed or ways of encouraging them to sleep through?xx

Replies

• Spencer has been going through for quite a while but i used to give him extra milk before bed and then if he woke up in the night i would just cuddle him until he went back to sleep instead of feeding him. I think they just get into the habit of thinking they want it and just need help breaking the habit. I guess it's probably a bit different when your breast feeding coz you cant just put extra in the bottle before bed but i think i was breast feeding back then apart from that feed x

• hollie sometimes usually wakes up for a night feed but some nights she sleeps through. prob is if she sleeps through then shes awake 5-6 am!
  • Max is waking around 4ish and grizzling until 5 when I feed him-it's a vast improvement on how things were, even a month or so ago!!

Gem, I've started giving him a big bowl of porridge for his pudding at 6.30 so he's definately full when he goes to bed, think your right that it's habit rather than hunger xx
  • Well, I clearly spoke too soon. Peter woke up at 4:30 this morning and hasn't been asleep since (bar 20 minutes or so)! He was fed at 5:45 when I lost the will to fight any more. :\(
  • Charlotte has a feed on particulalry bad nights if she refuses to settle, usually nights when I have to get up for work. But I know she's not hungry, just habit. Recently we've been working hard to avoid giving her milk and its working. She has her last milk about 6pm and her breakfast between 6am & 9am. I read somewhere that after 6 months they shouldnt need a nightfeed as they cant digest it as well as their digestive system shuts down like ours does and feeding them in the night can cause them tummy problems.
  • Well you know Millie is from our chat the other day hun! Its not every night but probably 4 out of 7 nights a week! Millie is similiar to Hollie though in that the nights she does go through she is awake ready to start the day at 5.30am!
    Im working on putting her down sleepy but a bit awake this week and seeing how it goes to try and wean her off only falling asleep on the bottle! Problem is sh'es full of a cold and her 1st tooth has appeared this morning so not sure if just now is the right time but theres always something!! ha
  • Daisy still having her dreamfeed - tried to get rid of it, but it didn't go well and she doesn't take that much milk in the day anyway so decided to keep it for longer although lots of people will have got rid of this by now...

C xxx
  • We don't feed in night but still waking for comfort. We gave her water in the night an d she soon got fed up of it!!!
  • my DD is still fed once (sometimes twice) a night! i know its for comfort, i just cant always be bothered to listen to her crying. im always up for an hour with her at least, more often longer, if i dont feed her...... whereas if i feed her its just 10 mins or so!
    oh dear xxxx
  • So glad to hear it's not just me still doing the night feeds, max's sleep is awful at the moment, I think because of his cold , but feeding hims not even doing the trick-I saw every hour of the clock last night I'm asking father christmas for some decent sleep, I've been a really good girl this year!! X
  • Aw pixiebob, poor you. I have had nights like that due to colds and it really is the pits. Did you try the nurofen/calpol combo? Hope father christmas comes early and tonight is your night. xx
  • pixiebob - we have the same thing on our wish list!! hears hoping.....
    xxx
  • Hey yes i think its habit more than anything bella wakes just for the hell of it i think, she can go down at say anywhere between 8 and 11pm at the min and she will wake anytime, but has a feed whatever but then wont go back to sleep in her cot, but for a while i think the night feed could of been definately dropped if she slept though, weve only had two sleep through nights in like 5 months lol x