Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

FAO missymoo

Just wanted to give you a quick update on the 10 o'clock feeding saga. We did it for two nights during which he woke at 12/1, 2:30/3:30 and then 5/5:30. So for the next two nights I didn't bother waking him and he had me up at 1 the first night and 2:30 the second, fed for an hour and a half (including nappy change) and then slept until 5:30/6. So I got complacent and thought that things would continue like this. Only last night he woke himself up at 10:30, 2:30 and 4:30! image (but only fed for about half an hour each time). So I don't really know where I am now. Hopefully he will go back to sleeping through from 8 until midnight, with yesterday being an abberration (he refused to sleep until 8:30 as well, so something was up) but we will see.

I hope Nina's sleep patterns are settling down now. :\)

Replies

• Options
    Oh nooo! How did it go last night? Well Nina decided to be up at 11 for a couple of nights, during which I fed her. The third 11 oclocker I managed to cuddle her back to sleep instead of feeding her and the last three nights she has gone back to waking at 1ish. The rest of the night has also been better with a waking up at 4.30 and 6.30. But gone are the days of the 7/8 hour stretch. I've decided not to wake her for a feed at 10 and will just hope for the best.

I think these 10 o clock feeds can be brilliant for some, but for the non conformist babies (that mine seem to be) it will probably make things worse..sounds like Peter may be the same! x

• Options
    Ooh, well done you for cuddling her back to sleep! That really is a useful trick.

Unfortunately last night was a bit of a nightmare. Peter was horribly grumpy and needy before bedtime. He wanted to be carried and kept on howling dismally if I put him down. His bath was okay and he must have exhausted himself because he only took an ounce from the bottle of EBM my husband gave him before zonking out completely. He then slept until 10:30 when he finished the other two ounces and had one boob, going back down at 11:15. He then woke again at 2:15, had a nappy change fed on both sides, refused to go down, had another ten minutes on the right and finally went down at 3:15 only to wake me up again at 4:15 fussing like mad. At this point I tried to soothe him back to sleep but he was having none of it so he had ten minutes on the right. I put him back in his crib only for him to start sucking his hands and thrashing about again an hour later. At this point I was at the end of my tether but neither I nor my husband could do anything with him so my husband took him downstairs where he promptly fell asleep. In the end, my husband put him in his carrycot on the landing where he slept until 6:45, so I got another hour - about five in total.

I think something was up with him last night because it was so off from his normal pattern. He has been quite grumpy this morning and has been spitting up a lot but I gave him some Gaviscon at lunch and he is now happily playing in his chair. Hopefully we will have a better night of things tonight - I can do two bouts of 3/4 hours but these hourly wake-up calls are going to do my head in!

Anyway, here's to the non-conformist babies, however exhausting they may be! image I hope Nina settles into a reasonable pattern and starts eliminating at least one feed from her schedule.
  • Options
    Hi, I thought it might make you feel better to know Nina has disgraced herself again! I think I had about three hours of broken sleep last night followed by a pants day today. And to top it off she now seems unable to settle herself anymore and I'm worried she can only settle on the boob..arghhhh!!

I saw your post on baby and I would say it's worth trying Peter in his own room. You may get a better quality of sleep between feeds and if you're that much farther away he could settle before you get to him..you never know. x

• Options
    Ah, poor Nina and poor you! I do hope you get a better night tonight.

I have to admit to being totally confused by Peter now. Last night we had a really peaceful evening. He even let me do his massage without howling. He took 2 oz. after his bath and slept until 12:30 when he had another two plus one breast before going straight back down until 2:30 when repeated the pattern, waking again at 5. He then did the unheard of and went down again until 6:30! image So I got about 6.5 hours sleep, in chunks.

Then tonight he took 4 oz., plus one breast before he would settle, but is now asleep (fingers crossed). Goodness knows what is up with his appetite - although he may just be getting used to taking a regular bottle, I suppose. Hopefully I can express a bit more soon so that I don't have to top him up and he gets used to going down without the breast.

I think you may be right about the room change but, as I said on the other thread, I will miss not being so close to him so I think I will leave it, at least until after his 12 week jabs. I was talking to another mother at my mum and baby group and we concluded that our los sleep patterns changed completely after their first lot of jabs so I think it may be worth waiting to see what happens after the second lot in 2 weeks time. And at least we are starting to get a little pattern to our days (he has had a morning nap at around the same time give or take 15 min for over a week now), so I do feel as if we are making progress, in a two steps forward, one step back kind of way.

Anyway, I do hope you have much better night tonight. Am sending Nina happy sleepy vibes. x
  • Options
    I know what you mean..I sent my oh into the spare room for some sleep a couple of weeks ago and keep saying I will join him, but can't bring myself to do it just yet.

Sounds like things are improving with Peter. They are so confusing though. Nina was brilliant last night but I'm not going to talk about it! x
  • Options
    Oh, tell, do! If you don't think it will jinx things, of course. I love hearing about other people's good nights - it gives me hope that some day Peter might actually sleep through.

Hope that Nina carries on being brilliant. :\)
  • Options
    Hello, well we've had three good nights with Nina only waking for one feed at around 2.30 and going back to sleep until 6.30am. That's us jinxed now! She hasn't been sleeping that well during the day so maybe that's why..she gives with one hand and takes with the other! Oh, I have also been using chamomile oil in her bath and in the bedroom so I like to think that may help. I hope that gives you hope! x