Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09

Am i wrong to do this?

Me again-im on a roll today!!

I keep reading about people 'getting lo off to sleep', i just feed Max, wind him then put him back in his bed awake, he grizzles for abit, then the 'night noises' start and i know he's nodded off. Should i be getting him to sleep first and then putting him down? I don't want him to feel abandoned.

Another thing i do is only go to him during the night if he cries even though i sometimes know he's awake. I wait until that first cry. Is it wrong to leave him lying there? He starts kicking and fidgeting about so i know he's not 100% happy but sometimes he goes back off to sleep so i wait to find out if he really wants something or not. At what point to you pick your baby up?xx

Replies

• No hun I do the same as you,though sometimes when I put Isla on my shoulder to wind her she drops off anyway, and I get a little snuggle then lol.She is still quite snuffly and mucousy at times in the early morning so sometimes I have to lift her to help clear her nose or if shes been sick but otherwise I do leave her until she cries x
  • no i think if you carry on as you are you will have a very happy contented baby who sleep swell and settles well! well done! x
  • I do exactly the same as you pixiebob, I don't think you can pick them up every time they are awake and grizzling! During the night our lo quite often cries but then goes back to sleep again. To begin with I was jumping up to see to him the moment he started crying but now I wait to see if he will go back to sleep and its only if he keeps crying that I then pick him up. I don't leave it too long but it was just getting frustrating that we'd be getting up to see to him only for him to get back off to sleep by himself anyway but meanwhile we would be even more knackered from lack of sleep!

Sounds like your doing fine to me! xx

• I do exactly the same too. Think its good for them to settle themselves.
    xxx
  • I'm the same as you, if she's awake but not crying then she must be happy. During the night if she cries I normally wait to see if it turns into a "full" cry or tails off, sometimes she cries or whimpers in her sleep or cries when she goes to the toilet. My bad habit is her routine, i've been trying to keep one but am simply finding it impossible right now !
  • I only get Peter off to sleep in the sense that I like to make sure that he is, if not actually asleep, then pretty close before I put him down at night otherwise he will wake himself up again almost immediately. When he feeds in the night, I usually put him back down as soon as he has winded and he will fuss himself to sleep. He has even been known to go to sleep from being wide awake, but not the last few days, sadly.

As for picking him up, I only do so when cries start to sound unhappy. So I would say that what you are doing is perfectly normal. If we picked them up as soon as they made a noise, we would be picking them up every few minutes which wouldn't do much good for their rest.
  • Pixie bob sounds like your doing a fab job. i think if your lo will go to sleep on there own at such a young age its such a good habbit to get into, rather than getting them asleep before you put them down. I always put Laila down when shes awake and let her get herself to sleep, sometimes if shes a bit grizzly and i have been in and out sorting her out i will maybe feed her and then shell fall asleep whilst feeding. I only do this if i've been trying to settle her a while though, and norm she wakes as i put her down anyway and then goes to sleep herself.
    As for the leaving her when she wakes, i always do this- especially in the mornings. Sometimes she just has bit of a moan and the goes back to sleep, only get her up or feed her if shes having a proper cry. Think if you pick them up as soon as they start moaning youd make life alot harder for yourself.
    xx
  • Pixiebob, If Max will go to sleep on his own then keep it up. My daughter was picked up a lot when she was new (novelity of having a baby about i guess) and she went through a stage at about 4-6 months when she had to be rocked to sleep. She then had to be completely asleep before we put her down other wise she would wake up and we'd have to start all over again. It was torture.

Having a second one I don't have the time to pick him up all the time, my daughter is 2 so needs the attention more and baby is showing all the signs of being able to entertaining himself already - he's only 4 weeks but will quite happily lay and watch - which i'm grateful for.

And remember the old saying mothers no best, you will do what you feel is right for you little one.

• I think i feel like if we're not constantly attending to him he'll feel neglected especially as my mum says whenever he's grizzly or crying that 'he's bored!' xx
  • I think i feel like if we're not constantly attending to him he'll feel neglected especially as my mum says whenever he's grizzly or crying that 'he's bored!' xx
  • Hi pixiebob, I agree with SarahD1, sounds like you're doing really well. I also have a toddler so often can't run to Nina straight away. She's very happy and already able to settle herself alot of the time. My son on the other hand was much more grizzly at that age! I don't think babies of this age can get too bored very quickly and I'm a big believer that most crying, if not due to hunger, is due to overtiredness or overstimulaton!x