Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09

sleeping

Hi girls,

I'm popping over from "born in april" charlie is 5 weeks old now and i'm having real trouble settling him down at night and getting him to sleep more that 2-3 hours! Last night was awful he was awake every 2 hours for no reason at all he wasn't really very hungry not wet or dirty no wind so i'm baffled!!

I have had to take him out of his moses basket already and put him into the cot and he was far to big for it. He seems to like the cot better as he can spread himself out more, but he just seems very unsettled i don't expect him to sleep the whole night but do think he needs to sleep for longer! My other son was the same as him never seemed to sleep but charlie is even worse!! image

Just wondered if any of you have had probs with your little ones and if so what tips could you give me?

Thanks girls

Danielle and charlie 5 weeks!xxx

Replies

• hi, i find that my little one stays in moses better with stuff to look at (ie cot book), helps to settle her. she also is much better in sleep pods (kicks blankets off, then too cold). i also keep everything v quiet at night and dark so she goes of quicker as she knows night is for sleeping now.

mum to darcy (8 weeks)
  • Hi Danielle,
    Have you tried swaddling him? We have swaddled Freya since birth and she has always slept well at night (she goes down badly but she has wind most of the time). She never slept well for naps until a few weeks ago when I actually started swaddling her for naps too, now she goes down beautifully most of the time. The problem is that she startles and wakes herself up, and even though she battles her arms around in the swaddle, when she liberates them out she cries until I reswaddle them!

And in terms of how long he sleeps, he is still very young, and some babies I know were still waking every three hours at 7 or 8 weeks.

Good luck,
    Alison (and Freya, 10 qweeks)
  • just a thought but maybehe's having his 6wk growth spurt a bit early?

also, does he go to bed at roughly th same time every night? and is it nice and relaxing, ie darkened and noiseless alison says. but tbh 2-3 hours isn't bad. I know it doesn't seem that way atm. within a week or 2 he's stomach will have grown and he'll hold more milk thus won't Need feeding quite so often. how are u feeding? breast or bottle? u say he doesn't seem 'really' hungry, so perhaps trying to keep him on the boob for an extra 5-10mins or offering him an extra ounce might help. also if ur breastfeeding make sure u r eating and drinking plenty to keep the calorific value of ur milk up and therefore lasts him longer.

hth
    xxx

• My lo is 7 weeks old and still wakes every 3 hours, try swaddling though it may help to calm your lo. It worked for mine for a while & we have now switched for a baby sleeping bag which does the trick of settling her better.
  • Hi danielle! To be honest my LO is 8 weeks and he still tends to wake every 3 hours! We have put him in his own room as he grumbles so much and we couldn't get any sleep and now occasionally he will go 5 hours after his bedtime feed but after that its still 3 hours. I think its made a difference that his room is completely dark and we arn't there to disturb him with OH's snoring and my restlessness.

Other than that we found that he was better in a sleeping bag instead of blankets and in his own cot instead of moses basket as he moves his arms a lot and even though he is still quite small he was hitting the side of the moses basket which would then wake him up even more!

xx