Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Bedtime routine? Sleeping through yet?

Is anyones baby sleeping for a decent stretch at night yet?

Millie goes around 4hours at a time at night, 2 to 3 hours during the day between feeds. She'll be 8 wks old on Tues and the lack of sleep is really starting to get to me as by the time I've fed her, winded her and settled her back down then got into bed myself and listened to her making grunting noises etc for about 20 mins until she falls into a deep sleep its only about 2 hours until she wakes up again. I'd love to just try and get her to go 5 or 6 hours at night but dont really have any idea how to try I know she can do 5 hours as she does it very occasionally.

Does anyone have a particular routine they follow in the evening to help their LO sleep better/longer at night? Millie cant settle herself to sleep either so I have to hold her on my chest until I can tell she's properly asleep as if I try and put her down before then she always wakes up as soon as I put her down! image

At the moment we bath her 30 mmins before shes due her evening feed between 7pm & 9pm depending on when she last fed then she usually cries whlst I dry and dress her for bed (shes not very relaxed!) then I feed her and she falls asleep on me after I've winded her and usually sleeps until 11,12 or 1pm when my hubby gets up and gives her a bottle as shes usually BF this gives me a little break but I cant sleep through it as shes so noisy and my hubby is so sleepy I worry he'll fall asleep whilst holding her so I have to watch him! Were thinking of changing the bottle feed to the evening one after her bath as she doesnt sleep any longer having a bottle than on the breast.

Whats everyone else doing?

xxx

Replies

• I've just posted something on 'baby' about routines. Currently my lo feeds about every 2 hours, but falls asleep after about 10 minutes so think he's using me for comfort or just snacking!

As for sleep, I've been putting him to bed when he seems sleepy or falls asleep, then he usually sleeps for about 4 / 5 hours. I give him a bottle in the nights as we're still getting used to breastfeeding and I can't cope with fighting with him during the night when I'm half asleep! I usually give hima bath / wash in the mornings as he doesn't like it and gets so worked up, not a good combination with calming him down for bed!

I also usually have to let him fall asleep on me before putting him down, although tonight I bathed him (he was sick after his last feed!) then had a cuddle, then put him in his basket and just pottered around the bedroom, pretty much ignoring him and he fell asleep after about 20 minutes himself. Will be trying that again tomorrow! He went down about 10 and I'm hoping he'll sleep til at least 2!

He'll be 6 weeks on Monday!
  • I've just posted something on 'baby' about routines. Currently my lo feeds about every 2 hours, but falls asleep after about 10 minutes so think he's using me for comfort or just snacking!

As for sleep, I've been putting him to bed when he seems sleepy or falls asleep, then he usually sleeps for about 4 / 5 hours. I give him a bottle in the nights as we're still getting used to breastfeeding and I can't cope with fighting with him during the night when I'm half asleep! I usually give hima bath / wash in the mornings as he doesn't like it and gets so worked up, not a good combination with calming him down for bed!

I also usually have to let him fall asleep on me before putting him down, although tonight I bathed him (he was sick after his last feed!) then had a cuddle, then put him in his basket and just pottered around the bedroom, pretty much ignoring him and he fell asleep after about 20 minutes himself. Will be trying that again tomorrow! He went down about 10 and I'm hoping he'll sleep til at least 2!

He'll be 6 weeks on Monday!
  • Hi, for the last week Nina has been doing a 7-8 hour stretch which I'm very pleased about. To be honest our routine is very similar to yours (and she's also 8 weeks on tues). I usually start her bedtime routine after my other little monkey is settled for the night. Sometime between 7 & 8 we have a bath together, I dress her and put her in her sleeping bag then turn the lights off and feed her with just the nightlight on. It's usually a struggle to get her to feed for long but I just keep winding her/changing her and putting her back on the boob. I then give her a cuddle and usually put her down awake and give her a chance to settle herself. If she screams I will usually offer her more milk, just to make sure she's full rather than to get her to sleep then put her down again. Until recently she was settling well on her own, although the last few days she has been unsettled & myself or oh has been up and down the stairs numerous times to comfort her until she eventually settles for the night.

You could try the dreamfeed as marnie suggested, it seems to work for some. Also make sure you give her a little bit of time before you go to her during the night as she may settle back to sleep.

Good luck.x
  • Are you breast or bottle feeding? We are pretty baby-led as I am breast feeding exclusively, which means that days are pretty much routineless during the day at the moment, but I instituted a bed time routine when he was about 4 weeks, if only for my own sanity. Peter is bathed, changed, swaddled and fed. I then read him a story by which time he is usually dropping off, although occasionally he wants the other breast. He then goes down, either fully asleep or fussing to himself. Thankfully, if he is calm, he can get himself off to sleep at this point, although he is rather noisy getting there.

For the past few weeks we have been doing this at about 9, meaning he is asleep by 10 or a little after, at which point we switch out the light (he is in with us). However, as he always wants to eat at 7:30, last night I moved bedtime up to then, starting our routine at about quarter to 7. We actually both got to eat our dinner at the same time for the first time since he was born! I then woke him at 10, changed his nappy, fed him and put him back down and he fussed for a bit before going back off to sleep.

The only disadvantage of this change so far is that where he had been going from 10 to 2 or 3, he woke at 1 for his night feed last night and then again at 5:30. However, as he was waking anywhere from 4:30 to 7:30 before, this wasn't so different, so we are going to stick with the new timings for the moment. He was really loud going back to sleep, though, so I completely sympathise with you on that front.

Sorry, no practical suggestions except maybe to introduce a story after the final feed. It may seem rather early to be reading to them, but it does give Peter a few moments of cuddling up to me to get himself in the mood for sleep, if he doesn't get there fully by the time the story is done.

Good luck! I hope you get a decent night's sleep soon.
  • Thanks for the replies ladies! image

I'm mix feeding at the moment usually 2 or 3 bottles a day. Sometimes 1 in the morning if hubby gets up with her, 1 at lunch time/early afternoon depending if im out then hubby gives her the last one in an evening. I breast feed her the other times and if she wakes in the night!

I think im going to try her in her nursery tonight! image Im doing it because she very rarely cries loudly in the night as shes making that many other grunting noises I end up just feeding her to see if it settles her to be quiet again. Im hoping she might settle herself if shes not hungry. If we dont get any better sleep then I'll move her back as that is the only reason I have for her not to be in our room. Her nursery is right next door and I'll leave both doors open and put the monitor on and see how we go! I feel sad about it though as like the breastfeeding I thought she would stay in our room until she was 6 months (I thought I would exclusively BF for 6 months, until i knew how hard it is! image )

We bathed her and got her ready for bed between 7 & 7.30 then I breastfed her at 7.30pm for 30mins but it took her 1hr to bring her wind up (got her on infacol and colief but she still suffers with bad wind and doesnt bring it up easily!) and get her down so was only in bed asleep for 9pm! We tried a dream feed last night at 11.30pm but she still woke at 2am then 5am then wouldnt settle back to sleep and was wide awake grunting for about 1hr until hubby picked her up and tried to get her to sleep on him but she was having none of it so he got up with her and gave her a bottle about 8am so i got a bit of a lie in until 11am! image Hope tonights better!

xx
  • Hi Beth,

Sorry tive got no suggestions but i could have written your post! Our 'routine' is like this:

6.30pm-bath, pj's on, story, feed
    7pm-9pm-fussin time, feed
    feeds at around 12,2,4,6, 8

God, it's relentless! He's definatley having a growth spurt this week, 6 weeks, so im REALLY hoping he starts to go longer-he once went 5 hours so he can do it.

He's also very noisy, i wonder if im feeding him when he's not really hungry-it's hard to tell when he's asleep or not. Can you post back and let us know if moving your lo to her room helped at all-this is something ive been thinking about for a couple of weeks now (Max is 6 weeks 2day)xx
  • well i was doing the gina ford routine, tried following it for a few days, but after a few very stressful day times wih Laila wanting constantly feeding (which is very unlike her) i have decided to leave it for a few wks. I do have a bit of a bed time routine, which has been quite easy to do as we have routine at bedtime in for james anyway so its just doing it with both of them. Norm try to get her to bed by about 7, she doesnt always go to sleep straight away but after half hr is norm asleep. this then gives us an hour with james on his own, he goes to bed at 8. then we can sit down and eat in peace!! I have been doing a dream feed between 10-11, depending on what tim she actually goes to sleep. Norm wakes about 4am, (but then she was doing this before the dream feed was introduced when her last feed was 6.30-7.30)then norm goes through to about 9am. she is 7 wks on tues, and i have had one night when she went from 10pm till 9am, but think that was just a fluke!!
    xx
  • Millie has been in her own room for 2 nights now. She is still in her moses basket just placed in her cotbed instead of on the stand. I have the monitor on and we are all sleeping much better. The last couple of nights have gone like this, bath 30 mins before shes due her 8pm/9pm feed, swaddled up then I breastfeed her, then shes woken between 11pm - 12pm and hubby gives her 6oz of formula then she sleeps til 4am or 5am. She then wants to feed every 2hrs so 6am/7am then 8am9am which is tiring, not sure why shes doing this!.......After her feeds she is settling much better now but I think this is due to having found colief!

xx