Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Giving LO water?

Do any of you give your LO water? I got the impression from the midwives that you wern't meant but people keep suggesting it to us as Jake is very greedy and never seems satisfied. He always has wet nappies so I just presumed he was hydrated enough but now I'm not too sure what I'm meant to be doing?

xx

Replies

• My hv told me to only give Amelia cooled boiled water if she is constipated or has tummy ache and no more than 1oz as it will put her off her milk. Apparently babies don't need any extra fluids only milk. If your lo has lots of wet nappies it would suggest he is hydrated. How do you feed Jake? Amelia is ff and is a very hungry baby too. She has 5 x 8oz bottles a day - One of these is hungrier baby food. Remember babies will only take what they need. I kept being told by family ~Amelia was eating too much but the hv is perfectly happy with her.
  • My hv told me to only give Amelia cooled boiled water if she is constipated or has tummy ache and no more than 1oz as it will put her off her milk. Apparently babies don't need any extra fluids only milk. If your lo has lots of wet nappies it would suggest he is hydrated. How do you feed Jake? Amelia is ff and is a very hungry baby too. She has 5 x 8oz bottles a day - One of these is hungrier baby food. Remember babies will only take what they need. I kept being told by family ~Amelia was eating too much but the hv is perfectly happy with her.