Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09

Horrible horrible subject...

I'm sorry to have to bring it up but has anyone else thought about when/if they are going back to work?

I really do not want to go back and dread thinking about it, I love being a stay at home mum!

I initially told work that I was going to take 6months off but I've now decided to take 9months. I haven't told them yet but it is ok for me to change my mind isn't it? Nothing was ever written down anyway.

I then hopefully want to say that I'm not going back and work mobile (I'm a hairdresser) but I don't want to tell them before I clarify that I'm taking 9months instead of 6 in case they don't pay me 9months SMP.

Does anyone know how this would work?
Have you had to think about returning to work yet?
xxx

Replies

• Ooh, you have just reminded me, kel, I need to send a work-related e-mail!

I'm self-employed and am (very slowly) gearing up to get back to work at the moment. I need to start taking advantage of Peter's naps to get stuff done as there is a book sitting on my kitchen table waiting to be reviewed. Hopefully I will be able to crack on next week when my mother will be visiting and all too happy to play with Peter while I get on with things.

I'm afraid I can't help with your SMP questions, but I will say that I am so grateful that I work from home. I love spending time with Peter but I don't want to stay a full-time mum. Being able to work but not have to leave him is ideal, assuming I can make it work.

Good luck with sorting out your time off. I hope you manage to get it sorted out to your satisfaction.
  • xkelx
    Your actually entitled to a full year off with 9 months being paid smp. You need to inform your employers in writing 1 month before you want to return to work, or not in your case!!! I suppose you would just need to let them know your having 9 months, then later let them know your not returning. They can't stop your maternity pay.
    I'm taking 12 months off so not thought about it yet but I'm sure the time will soon come when I'll be contacted for my keep in touch days and then reality will kick in
  • I go back in September. Gutted image
  • I go back 11th September from full time to part time. I'm not dreading it, in fact looking forward to the adult company. Havent had a wage of just SMP yet so am thinking if we manage to live on just SMP i may extend to 9 months off, but if it costs too much then 6 months it'll stay. Plus at least with 6 months i'll have no problem getting a nursery space.
  • Why are there so amny waiting lists for nursery places? I have been on a list since last Nov and I still can't get the days I want for my ds to go to nursery. Its annoying as being organised just isn't enough!!! what is everyone else doing for child care?
  • I'm back on Monday for a week!!!!! Sob sob!! I'm a teacher and have handed my notice in, so am going back next week in order to get paid for the holidays on a full time basis... Hubby will have Daisy for the week - I'm absolutely and completely dreading it, but I need to think of the money - 6 days work for 7 weeks pay, most people would love that!!

Then, I start my new part time (2 days and 3 days per week alternately) job on 10th September - I'm looking forward to that!

Daisy will be in a local nursery 2 days per week and then on the alternate 3rd day, my Mum and Dad are having her. Seems to be a good mix of care, plus an undeniably good salary for 17ish hours per week.

Wish me luck for Monday - I really really need it, especially as I have a 3 hour commute each day!!

C xxxx
  • Awww good luck for Monday...as its the last week of term it will whizz by and will be fun rather than stress

Im taking a year off so dont need to think about it till xmas time and then i have my accumative leave to take so wont be back till mid march..and then im hoping if we have survived on no pay from me then it will only be for 6wks (have to work min 3mnths inc AL or pay back mat pay). Hubby will be changing stations so he will be local and friends looking after baby as i only do 20hrs a week and with the recent Force merger i can walk to work!
  • Good luck for monday MrsButtons. A 3hr commute must be hard.

I've still got annual leave as well, if I don't go back then I should get paid for it right?

Luckily I don't really have to worry about childcare as my parents live about 20 mins from me and my mum works part-time so hopefully I'll be able to work my hours around hers. In fact she's probably looking forward to me going back to work so she can have Riley all day!

xxx