Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Spoon feeding and a milk question

Me again-full of questions today!!

Do your lo's hold their own spoons. Max is showing no interest at all, which is fine by me but just wondered if I should try encouraging him or just leave it, I've no idea when they 'should' be starting to feed themselves.

Second question- how many milk feeds do they have? Max is on 4 a day (plus 1 or 2 a night), I'm wondering if he's having too much milk, he can be a little fussy with his food sometimes so maybe it's dulling his appetite. The thing is, he doesn't cry for his milk but I offer it and he doesn't refuse so I'm wondering if I should try not giving him his mid morning milk (he needs to be off this soon for when I'm back at work anyway),

Thanks girls xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi ya pbob he he

Spencer doesn't seem to want to hold his spoon yet either, i think there would be food everywhere if he got his hands on it.

Spencer has 4 milk feeds a day 4oz in his cereal 4oz about an hour before his lunch, 4oz about an hour before his dinner and then 7-8 before bed

xxxxx
  • Options
    Freya does hold her spoon, t mostly she holds it at one end, and the other, and in the middle, and moves stuff round the bowl. If I load it up she will aim for her mouth, but it is a very small part of her spoon fun. I think it is the type of thing that the'll do when they want to really. I know that Max is really good at feeding himself, so if he isn't so keen on doing it with a spoon right now I wouldn't worry.

In terms of the milk, I think that our health visitors would tell you you are feeding too much. But that is health visitors. Freya has three milk feeds a day. She has one when she wakes up, a bf (if I'm around) or a bottle (if she is at the childminders) at 3pm, and then her bedtime bf before her bath. I know you are working on dropping the night ones, I'd just keep going with that and then see how you go with the daytime ones. Freya has only one in the afternoon, but she'll have a 7oz bottle (who knows from me). But I have a friend who gives two 3.5 oz cups during the day, so obviously, whilst it is twice as often, it is still the same amount overall. .
  • Options
    Thanks girls, well I went for it and dropped his morning feed, he wasn't at all bothered. He didn't eat any more than usual at lunch time but he didn't miss the milk. I feel better now about him going to nursery without that feed. I'm perserving with the milk in his beaker but he has a yoghurt mid morning so that's something at least.

Anyway, thanks again xx
  • Options
    pbob, I worru for the opposite reason to you, Amelia will only take 1 milk feed before bed and thats only about 4oz, she's just not interested at any other time and personally I think this is more habit than actually wanting a feed. Amelia loves her food and would much rather have a snack than a bottle. I just make sure she has yoghurt and cheese everyday to keep her diary intake up.
    Amelia cant load a spoon and feed herself but she will grab for it when I'm feeding her. If I let go the food either ends up in her eye or ear or she'll throw it at the cat!!! I let her hold it and I'll guide it to her mouth. She will feed herself finger foods but again she likes to share with the cat!! - Mealtimes are very messy at our house and we have to change clothes if we're going out and about but its all good fun!!
  • Options
    Peter does feed himself with a spoon if I hand it to him or place it on the table full of food. He has also started dipping his spoon into his bowl, trying to scoop food out with it. BUT he is the only baby I know of his age who is this adept - and given that it is the only thing where he seems to be ahead of his age (he still pulls himself along on his tummy and shows little interest in pulling himself on to his feet or walking) I'm ridiculously proud of him! image

As far as milk feeds go, he takes three feeds a day when he is with me - first thing in the morning, mid-afternoon and bedtime. But I left him for the whole day with his dad on Saturday and he didn't have the mid-afternoon feed, just water and some bread (his favourite snack). It is only if I am there to act as temptation that he seems to demand milk. Maybe Max will be the same once he is at nursery? Especially if he has now dropped the morning feed without a fuss...
  • Options
    And so you should be proud THG, it's such a tricky thing to master! He'll be in nursery 3 morning a week, hubbie will have him the 2 afternoons where i'm in all day so I know he'll make a good effort to get some snacks and milk from his beaker into him.

Pumbacat-our dogs very well fed too, when max has had enough he very deliberately throws everything left on his try to the floor.

I'm super chuffed today, I know this is no biggie and something most babies do far younger but after 10 months of him only naping on my lap, he's now sleeping in his pram. I'm so relieved as again, I was worried about how he'd sleep at nursery but the pram can go with him. It fully reclines and he slept for an hour and a half this morning! Xx
  • Options
    ----Amelia cant load a spoon and feed herself but she will grab for it when I'm feeding her. If I let go the food either ends up in her eye or ear or she'll throw it at the cat!!! I let her hold it and I'll guide it to her mouth.----

Austin is exactly the same, eh's only interested in the spoon if i've got it, if i give it to him he'll let me guide it once, then he won't let go, and as soon as i let go, he doesn't want it anymore and flings it across the room lol! he's doing well with his finger foods tho, only thing he doesn't eat like that is meat, but tbh i haven't offered it to him v often, so perhaps i shld.....lol, been thinking about getting a dog, purely so i don't have to hoover after every meal time, he nrmally eats about half what i gve him, and the other half is his play food that he just chucks on the floor without even attempting to eat it, peas all over the place lol. x