Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Bedtime Hell

Hi all,

The last week or two, bedtime has been hell! Zach always used to be really good, we've had a routine since he was 6 weeks, and he wouldn't settle straight away but not long after. Now though, he is a nightmare, so much so that I phoned my husband in work last week in tears (he is a chef and works most evening so usually do bedtime on my own!).

I haven't changed the routine, kept it the same, but he just will not go down! Screaming until he's sick, running away from me, if I lift him out of the cot, it's like he doesn't want to be in there! I don't want him to start sleeping in our bed (although he does generally sleep better) but I just don't know what else todo.

I've just bought some blackout curtains, hoping that it might be down to the lighter evenings, but is anyone else suffering like I am? Any suggestions?

Replies

• Options
    I wish I had some good ideas, but I don't really.

It sounds like he is having problems seperating from you, and that the whole bedtime thing has gotten terribly stressful for both of you. When I got really desperate with freya I'd get into the cot with her. The idea is that it makes the environment safer for them, so you can cuddle them to sleep, but in their own bed and bedroom. I didn't do it very often, and other days I would hold her hand or put my hand on her back to calm her in bed.

My husband works late and I know how lonely it can be when trying to deal with it alone, so sending lots and lots of hugs. x
  • Options
    Is he still having two naps a day or has he cut down to one now?

Riley was like this a couple weeks ago for a bit and most nights ended up getting to bed when we were. As soon as I turned his mobile on he'd start crying because he knew what was was coming! He would cry and we'd have to bring him down 5 or 10 mins later because he got so worked up but as soon as we brought him down he'd be fine!
    So then I stopped his afternoon nap (which he'd been resisting a little) and he's been going to bed on time, if a little earlier, with no crying! x
  • Options
    I've been considering cutting his afternoon nap for a couple of weeks and some days he has gone without it but then others he looks so tired by 3 that I put him down for a bit! Think I'll try a bit harder to get him to fight through it, and see if that makes a difference. Thanks!