Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09

FAO pixiebob

Hi hun, I know you were planning to see your hv yesterday about Max's sleeping (or lack thereof) and was just wondering how it went.

I took Peter to be weighed today and had a word with the hv about his waking up to 4 times a night and generally being all over the place with his sleep. (Last night he went from midnight until 4:30 then woke for the day at 6 rather than 7:30 so had two long naps in the morning instead of one. Mad infant! image) Anyway, she said there was nothing much to worry about but perhaps to try and make sure he didn't nap for longer than 45 min at one time during the day to help him sleep better at night. I'm going to see how he goes tonight as I have a theory that now he is in his cot bed he may sleep better. He wriggles himself up and I think he was bumping his head and waking himself in his crib. Now he has so much more space to cover there is less reason for him to wake himself up. We'll see...

I also asked her advice on weaning and she was really positive about BLW, seemed to think it would suit him. She also said that, as he can grab things already, I could try to start him on soft fruit before six months. May try some banana when we get our veg box next week and see what he makes of it. Otherwise, I am going to try to stick it out for another four weeks as my gut says that BLW is the way to go with Peter.

Anyway, sorry to go on in what was really an enquiry about you and Max. Hope it went well yesterday and you got some good advice.

Replies

• Thanks so much for posting-i was thinking of you both today as i'd read your recent posts. I couldn't get to see the HV-they've cancelled clinics due to swine flu (?!) so i can't get an appointment until next Wednesday.

We're still the same-Max is definatley hungry when he wakes, we've tried settling him back down and it's impossible. He's been good the past couple of nights and has fed and gone back to sleep with minimal fuss.

Ive started bringing him into our bed at around 6am-he wakes around this time and seems ready to start the day but ive found he'll go back to sleep in our bed until 8/8.30. I know it's not ideal but sleep is so precious at the moment and it's such a treat to wake up next to him.

My instincts are telling me that Max is very near to being ready to wean but i desperately want to hold off as long as possible. My aim is to get to 5months which is only 2 weeks away and then start slowly.

I really hope your theory about the cotbed is right, i'll keep everything crossed that you have a good night tonight!

Keep in touch, it's good to know someone's in the same boat! Are you on Facebook?xx
  • Urgh! Sorry to hear about the canceled clinic! What a pain!

Good to hear that Max is making minimal fuss going back down. Sounds exactly like Peter. And lucky you with the co-sleeping! I never can relax enough with Peter in bed with me and he is such a wiggler when he is awake that I don't think it would work anyway. I know what you mean about sleep being precious though! 4.5 hours last night was absolute bliss! image

Have e-mailed you re: Facebook. Hope you get some more sleep tonight!