Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Cant sleep:(

Hi i cant sleep been having problems for a while now image its stupid as the girls sleep brill 9-9 i have always been an awfall sleeper but not this bad so any tips to get me sleeping better would be great thanks image
How is everyone?i noticed the march forum is getting a bit quiet so would love to hear how all your little ones are doing Leah has started cruising im not ready for this lol wish i could press pause for a bit as shes growing so quick.Anyway hope everyone is ok

Replies

• We're all good thanks. Nina is walking and teething as usual! She is getting on really well with her brother at the moment which is lovely to see. Anyway, about the sleeping...

Going down the natural route , you could try lavender oil (use pure lavender oil in the bath and a couple of drops on your pillow), valerian tablets and deep breathing exercises.

Try to unwind as much as possible after the girls are in bed. If you have a lot of things on your mind it might help to write them down in list format to stop you going over them in your mind when you go to bed.

Reading in bed works for me. At the moment it only takes a couple of pages before I start drifting!

• reading a boring book helps me..if its a good one i end up staying up to read it all!!!! my nan is a member of a book club and collects the mills and boon (worrying cos she is 74 and some are a bit raunchy for my nan to be reading lol) but they are boring mindless easy reading and send me to sleep wen im struggling! Ive also had a very quiet easy listening cd playing in the bedroom..eva cassidy, sarah mclachlan etc just stops ur mind whizzin round
  • An hun, that must be awful, ive had a few nights where i can't nod off and it's a horrible feeling, one eye on the clock!

If you have a look on youtube for 'deep relaxation' or 'meditation', there's some lovely hypnosis type clips, i used them when i was pregnant-very relaxing xx
  • oh lin, u know i'm the same lol, from our 2am facebook chats lol. i get tired around 9.30pm but i've usually only just sat down by then, ds goes to bed at 7.30 but then i have to do dinner and then clear up etc so by the time i sit down its 9.30 and i think i don't wanna go to bed yet, i wanna sit and relax a bit first, catch bit of eastenders etc etc lol so then by say midnight, i get a second wind and am wide awake so i stay up a bit longer knowing there's no way i can sleep so it gets to 2-3am and still even then i get to bed and my minds whirring where i'm over tired and all sorts of thoughts going on in there lol. maybe a few drops of lavender il on ur pillow wld help? or a nice relaxing bath before bed, i know this isn't practical every night but if u did it a few nights in a row and got an early night it might help to retrain ur body clock. i think mine actually started yrs ago, i walways used to work (from 19yrs old til last yr) 12pm-12am so i'd never be asleep before 3/4am, its a hard habit to break but i def need to bereak it sooon, with austin waking at 8.30 i'm only geting 4-4.5hours sleep a night by the time i actually drift off, my mum, my brother and my sister are all the same, in fact thinking about it my nan (maternal) never used to be in bed before 1.30/2am ish aven right up til she passed at 81 lol, my grandad was always an early to bedearly morning and my nan was always late to bed and late up lol, surprised they ever saw each other lol. xx
  • My Nan was the same too she never slept ive always been like this my mum said i didnt like sleeping as a baby lol i just need to get something sorted before i go back to work.i cant do oils etc as they give me a banging headache.Last night it was about 5 before i fell asleep image its getting less each night phil lets me sleep in at the weekend so i catch up a bit i think im just going to have to be strict with myself and make sure im in bed by 12 then hopefully sleep before 2 if nothing works i'll go to the doctor but as im still bf in the morning i dont think i can take anything oh well im sure i'll get something sorted lol