Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

FAO Mrs Buttons

Hi
(G/C from born in July 08 and ttc ) I'm sure from one of your previous posts you said you were a teacher and that after maternity leave you went part time at another school...can I ask a question? Could you just resign from your old job sticking to the same resignation deadlines as usual without paying any maternity pay back? Or did you have to go back to your old school for 13 weeks? I have been told that if I get a job in the same LA I can just resign according to normal resignation deadlines and 'never' go back to old school and start in a new one. Just want to have all the facts as am ttc number 2 now.

Thank you!

Replies

• Hiya

Yes, I am a teacher - I did resign from my old post and get a new job. However, mine was in a different authority so I didn't get my half pay. I could have gone back for the 13 weeks but it was such an awful awful place that I decided the money wasn't worth it for my peace of mind, plus we'd moved an hour away from that school when I was off sick (the whole of my pregnancy!) so I didn't want the hassle..

I'd thought about going back and doing the 13 weeks part time, but I just couldn't do it - I went back for a week (to get my stuff really and to get paid for the summer!) and that was too much!

I know that you can move from one school to another in the same LA whilst still getting your 13 weeks pay, but I just decided to make the move! You would do it in exactly the same way as you would normally resign at May half term (or the other ones for example) and start your new job in the September..

HTH
    C xx
  • Hi
    Thanks for that. Others have said I could do it but I wanted it confirmed by someone who had done it! Glad you are in a nicer school now, I can totally sympathise about being in an awful school!
    xx