Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

At last some good news...

I've not posted much because our 12 week scan wasn't very good. The chances of downs were 1/34 and for Edwards 1/5 (I'd not heard of Edwards, it is like downs but much more serious and without much hope of life past 1 week if the baby is born alive). The baby also had an enlarged bladder - best case scenario it was just a developmental issue and as the baby grew the tubes would grow and it would drain properly, worst case scenario it was blocked in which case the most likely thing would be that the baby would die before being born. I had the CVS there and then - that would give us the results for the chromosonal abnormalities. And if that was all clear, we would have a scan at 16 weeks to see if the bladder was okay.

The CVS was clear for downs and edwards, but did bring up the fact that the baby was a carrier for cystic fibrosis. The first time I was told I understood the baby was just a carrier (along with 1/4 of the population apparently). But the second time they phoned (about the more detailed analysis) I understood that the baby might have it and the only way to know for sure was if my husband and I were tested and only 1 of us was a carrier. So after a week of worry about that, we went for blood tests and found out there had been a miscommunication and the baby was ONLY a carrier (as sure as they can be - so 1/800 of being wrong).

Today we had the scan, and it was ALL CLEAR! The baby is doing fine. No bladder issues, and all in one piece....and...it's a BOY. Because of the CVS we know for definite.

I'm really excited - it means Freya will have a brother to boss around (she is a very opinionated young lady already).

I just wanted to share with you all.

I hope all the other pregnancies are going smoothly and everyone is enjoying their wonderful 13-14 month olds image xx

Replies

• i am sorry to read of the awful time u must've been having lately, i can only imagine how scary that must've been. i'm so glad all is well now and u ahd the all clear, and what fantastic news taht ur having a little boy! wonderful!

xxx

sian 12+2 and austin xxx
  • Oh, ally, what an terrifying thing to have happen! I'm so, so glad that everything is clear and you have a healthy blue bump. Down's was one of my big fears in pregnancy, so I can only imagine what a time you must have been having. Big hugs to you all and all the best for a blissful rest of your pregnancy. You deserve it!
  • Wow what a thing to ahve to go through. Poor you! So very glad all is ok and that you can now start to enjoy the pregnancy. How wonderful that its a boy as well. I have my scan next week and may just find out the sex as well! Big hugs
    Littlep 20+4 and ds 14 months
  • Bet you're so relieved after going through all that. Hope you can relax now any enjoy the rest of your pregnancy. x
  • Oh Hun, I can't believe what you've been through -I can't even imagine how stressful and upsetting it must have all been. I really hope the rest of your pregnancy goes smoothly, lots of love xx