Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How long do your LO's sleep during the day?

I've been really lucky so far, in that the worst nights we've had, Zach would go for at least 4 hours at night. And now we have a really good bedtime routine and he is usually in bed by 8, asleep not long after, and he will sleep til about 4/5, have a feed then go to sleep for another couple of hours!

However, his daytime pattern is all over the place. I've tried to set him down at set times, and the morning nap, usually around 10am is getting better, although sometimes he will sleep for an hour, other times only about 20 minutes. And for some reason today he was having none of it at all! Likewise in teh afternoons, sometimes he will sleep, sometimes he won't! I usually find the best naps are when I take him out in the pram or the car, but I'd really like to get him to sleep at home too!

How many naps do your LO's have? And how long do they sleep for?

I've been trying to get him to sleep for an hour around 10am, then another couple of hours around 2. Quite often he'll have a snooze around 12 after his lunchtime feed, and again between 5 and 6, but only for about half an hour!

But I don't know if this is normal, too much or not enough! What does everyone think?

Replies

• The books say that a 12 week old should sleep for 3 hours per day between 7-7. I find it hard to settle my lo at home as well. However, I like the fact that when I do go out my ds has the ability to sleep! I find it hard to get my ds into a routine at home for naps as we are out so much!x
  • Erin wakes for a feed at about 5am, straight back to sleep in her cot till feed at 8, again straight back to sleep (but in bed with me as OH gone to work) till about 10ish wen she gets washed and dressed, feeds at 11, we then go out in the pram and she is awake all around the town and shops which is fab (and gets us lots of compliments image ) she will usually dose for about 20mins before hr 2pm feed, then its playtime, feed at 5 and sleep for about hour, then feed at 8pm, play, bath and in bed for 9-9.30ish till 5am image

Finally we have a routine image but this goes out the window at weekends or hubbys rest days cos i dont go for a walk, we go out in the car which sends her to sleep, so she feeds later and i cant wake her to feed as she just throws it up! and she may go to bed later but still up for 5am!

Between 8 and 10am now i get washing done, tidying and have a go on the Wii active image
  • Hi. I've just about gotten Riley into a feeding/sleeping routine, although he is a sleep baby so its hard to keep him awake sometimes.

Riley has three naps a day. He wakes at 7am then naps for an hour at about 9am, then a big 2 and half hour nap at 12pm, then a quick nap before bath at about 4.30pm for 30 mins. He goes to bed at 7pm after bath and bottle. These are the naps I try to make sure he has, although he has little power naps after being fed sometimes when he has a full belly! And if I'm out he will generally fall asleep in the car seat and I can't really wake him then.
    xxx
  • Kel, your routine sounds similar to the one Peter and I sort of have. He goes down for naps at the same time each day. It is their length that is always erratic.

He gets up between 7 and 8 and always goes down for a nap between ten to ten and ten fifteen. This lasts between 30 and 45 minutes. Then he goes to sleep again between 12 and 12:30. This can last for up to two hours (especially if he is in his pram) but it has been known to last as little as 20 minutes. If so, he will often have a 10 minute catnap around 2:30 or 3. And now I am making sure that he has a nap between 4 and 4:30 which usually lasts for half an hour or so. If he doesn't have this he becomes horribly grumpy in the evening and we usually have a really disturbed night.

Hopefully he will become a bit more settled as far as length goes, but it does help to have some sense of when I should be looking out for signs that he is tired. :\)
  • Our morning routine is fab, he always sleeps for 30mins in his cot at around 10am. If we're out and about he just sleeps when ever as he cannot keep his eyes open in his pram or the car!

If we're having a day at home, we get snuggled on the sofa and he'll sleep for 2 hours on me at around midday. Ive given up trying to get him in his cot at this time (i actually really love our lunchtime snuggle and id rather he have a decent nap on me in the hope it'll help him go longer at night)

He would stay awake for the rest of the day given the option ans end up horribly upset by the evening so i make sure he has a nap around 4pm, again, it's impossible to get him in his cot so we either go for a walk with the dog and he sleeps in his pram or i sit him in his rocking chair and he sleeps there.

xx
  • I've found it really difficult to get daytome nap routine as we are out and about so much but Amelia does have 3 naps each day, if not she gets so grizzly.
    She always has up to an hour about 2 hours after we've got up, then again after lunch time feed then has about half an hour around 5pm.
    If I know we're going out for the afternoon I try and get her to sleep more in the morning to make up for it but this can be a challenge. Amelia needs at least 3 hours during the day otherwise she is difficult to settle for bed.
  • darren is usually asleep by 9 and up at 7am, has a nap around two hours after gettin up for half and hour then another nap two hours later again for another half an hour then nothin til around 4 or half 4, then he has a bath at half six and food then plays with his daddy and is back in bed, so most days he has around three naps, but if he's having a grumpy day i try to get one more in - he never naps for longer than half an hour