Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09

Crying at bedtime?

Hi ladies

Mille is usally a very happy and content little girl until she gets out of the bath in an evening! During the day she rarely cries usually only if she is over tired and then only whingy really and she stops as soon as I pick her up for a cuddle and she'll just fall asleep and I put her down. The thing that is baffling me at the moment is as soon as she gets wrapped in the towel as we get her out of the bath (into hubbys arms as I usually bathe with her) she starts crying that soon turns into full on screaming and paddying until she starts sruggling to breathe as shes worked herself up that much, she only stops when shes got her pjs on in her sleeping bag wih her bottle in her mouth! image As you can imagine this is making her bedtime very stressful for us all and not the nice relaxing time it should be!

Does anyone else have any experience of this? Any tips on what we could try to do?

We've tried distracting her with singing/games, giving her some bottle before her bath to make sure shes not too hungry, bringing her bedtime forward by up to an hour to make sure shes not overtired, me getting her into her nightclothes instead of hubby sometimes works but I really dont want to give into that one as that is the only time my hubby really gets with her during the week as he works and he enjoys giving her that last feed and putting her to bed it also gives me time to get a quick shower and make the tea.

Could just do with a magic cure please! image

xxx

Replies

• have you tried bathing her in the morning??
  • Thanks for the suggestion. I could do that I suppose but it would be harder for me to bathe with her on my own with her (something we both enjoy) and I go out most days and could really do without having to give her a bath before we get out the door on top of everything else. It is just better if we could bath her in the evening its just finding a better way I think, its also part of her bedtime routine and she goes down much better when shes had a bath, but I suppose it could be down to the fact shes tired herself out so much with all the screaming. image

If the only way to stop the screaming is for me to do it all then I think thats what we'll have to do for a bit and hope she just grows out of it!

• Peter yells the place down between coming out of the bath and getting into his sleep suit, although he doesn't get quite as worked up as Millie. Our theory is that he is cold. Perhaps a bigger towel might help?
  • Ooh thanks for that suggestion THG! I really need to get her some new towels as were still using her baby ones and they barely go round her now so that could be it!

I'll give it a try tonight and snuggle her up with a bigger towel to make sure shes not cold!

• Well the bigger towel worked!! I feel a bit silly it was something so silly now! Hope it wasn't a one off though! x
  • Amelia went through this phase, she'd scream until she was blue in the face, end up being that wound up she'd fall alseep having her bedtimne bottle.
    We tried all sorts, change of bath time, bit of feed before bath etc but nothing seemed to change then eventually she just stopped!! Occassionally she will still have a winge but this is when she hasn't had enough sleep during the day.
    I put it down to a phase. Hopefully the bigger towel will work tomorrow.
  • Oh, I'm so glad the towel worked! Hope it carries on doing so.

It is funny how simple things can make such a big difference. Peter is sleeping much better (up twice a night instead of 4 times - it's all relative :lolimage since we moved him to his cot from his crib. He now doesn't bump his head when he wiggles himself up the bed in his sleep!
  • Bigger towel worked again! image Fingers crossed!

Definately going to order her some new towels now! Her baby ones are definately too small now! image Think I was just trying to make them last as I hate putting her small things away as it means shes getting bigger, far too quick for my liking!

• http://www.cuddledry.com/shop/9

i love these!! They are just sooo expensive! image