Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Swimming Aids

I've just started taking Riley swimming regularly and thinking about getting him some sort of floating aid but not sure what to get or what he can use at this age? He used to have one of those sit in floats but thought there's no point in using that anymore as it doesn't give him chance to kick his legs and stuff.
Does anyone take their lo's swimming and are you using anything or just holding them like I've been? x

Replies

• Options
    So glad you've asked this as I'm taking max for the first time next week (couldn't take him because of his ezcema but thankfully it cleared now) and I haven't a clue what I should put him in. I've bought one of those body suit rather than trunks-thought he'd stay warmer and he it would protect him from the sun if he wears it during the summer xx
  • Options
    I just hold Peter at the moment, although I suppose we could start thinking about a pair of water wings. I wouldn't feel confident letting him go, though. Apparently they can't swim on top of the water on their own until they are 3, but I am sure jumping will become a fun game as soon as he can walk, so perhaps best to be prepared for that.

P.bob, Peter has a sleeveless body suit. As you say, it is great for warmth. I think I'm going to have to get the next size up for this summer, though.
  • Options
    i use one of the seated rubber rings. have done since she was little. cause of my wrists its the only way i can take her and she quite happily sits in it and kicks her legs to move
  • Options
    Other than the seated ring things the only other options I've seen are arms bands and the all-in-ones with built in floats around the tummy area. My friends little girl is 18 months and has arm bands but she's not big enough to stay above the water yet with them. Don't know what the all-in-one float things are like though?
    There are also the life jackets but think they start from around 2years or older.

THG-Riley's only just started crawling so don't think jumping in will become an issue for us yet! Although last time we went I was sitting him on the side and he was falling in for me to catch him lol x
  • Options
    Hmm, interesting! Well, Daisy has been going swimming since she was just a few weeks old. We started with WaterBabies (which TBH was pretty average) and then we started going by ourselves. Now, we go to lessons at our local pool and Daisy wears standard Mothercare armbands (although we take them off as well, so she doesn't depend on them).

THG, I'm interested in what you say about not swimming above the water - Daisy can swim to the side and pull herself out of the water.. Admittedly, it's not very far at all, but she does it nevertheless...

Personally, I wouldn't touch the vest things - I think they have more chance of getting into trouble and ending up head first in the water, than with armbands. I know from experience of taking my class swimming (unfortunately!) that once a non-swimming child of any age gets into a position with their head down, it is nigh on impossible for them to readjust themselves.

C x
  • Options
    MrsButtons, the 3 year thing was something I was told at a water safety class so I don't know if it is gospel. I'm sure there are lots of babies who are better co-ordinated and/or stronger and manage it earlier. I do know our leisure centre won't take children for classes younger than three, although Peter watches longingly every time we got swimmng.

I'm seriously impressed with Daisy's ability! What a clever girl!
  • Options
    Bless him!

I've never heard that before - it's really interesting how it is different in different areas. Our classes advocate getting them into the water for lessons ASAP!

I'm not sure she's a clever girl - just one very determined little monkey! If she wants to get somewhere, she'll get there by whatever means necessary! Dreading the time that she can walk image

C x
  • Options
    hi, i just hold austin under hsi armpit/shoulders, he gives his legs a good kicking and swings his arms out (which i don't think he'd be able to do if he had armbands on) i'll carry on as we are and then when i think he's ready i'll go down to just supporting him rather than holding him (so my hands will just be rested under his tummy) thn down to one hand...pbob, we use one of those top and shorts sets atm, but have got him an all in one in the 9-12m for the summer with a little hat with the neck flap thing for one the beach (his current one is still a diddy 3-6m!!!!!!)