Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09

Sleep

I was wondering how your lo's are sleeping during the day? The last few days Nina has been more reluctant to go for her naps and they have been quite short. I am still doing the same thing. A mid morning nap (around 10.30) and an afternoon nap (around 3), but wondered if she's starting to need less sleep during the day..noooo! Saying that she does seem tired so maybe it's just a phase. How much sleep are your lo's having during the day?

Also wondered how they go to sleep? Mainly because I'm a little worried as if we are at home Nina has regressed back to wanting to fall asleep, or at least half asleep, whilst feeding, before I put her in her cot. I really want to change this as I want to start cutting down her day feeds at 12 months. Thats exactly one month away! Any ideas or advice appreciated. x

Replies

• austin tried cutting his naps back a few weeks back, he was porly at the time and i don't think this helped but he was absolutely refusing his afternoon nap (his naps are same time as nina's) and i thought he was just tryingt drop it but i carried on putting him in the cot at that time as i wasn't sure as he was ever so grumpy and looked knackered, but he just wldn't sleep...3weeks on and he's back to napping properly again, if anything for longer now too...at he's having1.5horus in the morning and 1.5-2hours in the afternooon, so not quite sure whats happening there, they both used to eb 45mins-1hr lol.. xx
  • Peter's naps have always been all over the place, but he still needs at least two naps a day (he had three on Monday when he woke up at 5:45!) Ideally I'd like him to have at least an hour each nap, but we still get anything from half an hour to two and a half hours. Yesterday his afternoon nap was less than 20 minutes and oh, my word, was he grumpy by dinner time!

I suspect it is just a phase that Nina is going through. I'd persist in putting her down as normal and see what happens.

As for going to sleep, Peter has got quite good at self-settling , although the past week he has taken a bit longer to go to sleep at bed time and started grumbling again half an hour later for a few minutes. But he is horribly stuffed up and cough-y, so I think that is contributing.
  • Thanks girls! Siany, that's hopeful. I'm hoping it is a phase so will continue to putting her down for the two naps. Angelo didn't cut out his second nap until nearly two. So, long may it continue for NIna.

THG, that's great that Peter is self-settling. I'm really not sure how to get Nina back to doing that. May have to be controlled crying at some point I'm afraid to say. I do feel for her though as it's quite hectic with a toddler running around and the breast feed before nap is a wind down period for her. Hope Peter is better soon. x
  • Spencer started not sleeping at night so i cut his naps from 1.5 hours to just 1 hour. He has 1 hour at 10-11 then another hour in the afternoon about 2:30 he sleeps through the night again now so we're all happy.

Also Spencer started to be a pain at going to bed but now he has his milk then i take him up to his room sit him on the floor while i read a story then i put him in his sleeping bag then sit him in the cot with his bears and leave him i come back about 5 mins after and tuck him in. If i try and tuck him in straight away he goes mad coz he wants to have a crawl around his cot.

It's crazy the things we end up doing just to please them x
  • hahah even missymoo sussed me out!...i'm obv not very subtle lol u've all spotted me a mile off lol xx
  • Lol siany-you can't hide from us!!

Max always fell asleep on the boob so a while ago now I gradually changed his routine and he now goes into his cot and falls asleep within a couple of minutes. I feed him but keep talking/singing to him so he doesn't drop off then I undress him, give him a wash, into pjs etc so he's relaxed but still fully awake (he only has a bath once a week because of his ezcema but if you bath nina maybe you could feed her first or wrap her up in a blanket after her bath, feed her, then get her dressed).

Max did cry the first few nights. I'd go in after a minute and give him a pat, he'd be asleep by 5minutes and I think he'd stopped crying all together after 3 or 4 nights xx
  • Thanks, missy. It's just a cold that is running its very snotty course. I'm currently listening to him grumble - if he hasn't stopped in 5 minutes, I'll go and sit with him for a few minutes and then try again. I usually have to do this one night in ten but he is sounding worse than normal tonight for some reason. I know he is exhausted because we had another 20 minute nap this afternoon (followed by 40 minutes of inconsolable crying :cryimage. I am seriously unimpressed by this new routine, let me tell you!
  • max has always been weird with his naps. Sometimes he'll slep for 20 minutes and wake up inconsolable and others he'll sleep for an hour and wake happy as larry. Ive come to the conclusion that when he wakes after 20mins crying, he's not ready to wakeup so now that he's napping in his pram, i just rock it and he's fallen back to sleep again.
    xx
  • You see, Peter won't do that any more, p.bob. Once he is awake, he is awake, even if his tears and yawns tell me he ruddy well should still be asleep! (As he now finally is after ten minutes of shushing and head stroking. Now he just needs to stay that way until morning!)
  • Thanks again girls. I really do need to change her routine around (for naps and bedtime). Unfortunately Nina has had another chest infection. She has something called hyper-resensitivity in her lungs, due to having quite bad bronchiolitis at two weeks. Now every time she gets a cold it goes to her chest and she get wheezy. This is why we're back to square one again. She's much better but just waiting for her to be 100% before getting her sorted again.

THG, hope Peter's routine gets better soon. It's these bloomin' colds isn't it? They do seem to take ages to shift. Just when you think things are going well! x
  • Sorry WoWBaby! I didn't realise you were in hiding. Have you upset some people?!x
  • ah no wasn't in hiding as such lol, and i hope i haven't upset anyone. just changed my name on here and was rumbled with in about 2minutes lol, i thought it wld take ppl while longer to figure out but u all obviously know me too well lol. xx
  • Hey girls,

I won't sicken you with Doodle's sleep pattern! I'll just say that she sleeps way more than half the day and hasn't really changed that dramatically since she was born really...

I wish all of you the very best with the sleep thing - I'm very lucky that although I'm back at work and it's busy, Daisy almost always seems to go through the night even with her longest naps..

C xx
  • Leah still naps an hour in the afternoon but its getting later and later used to be 1pm now 3pm but some days she falls asleep at 6pm not a problem though as she goes to bed at 9pm same as Lexie it works for us as oh dont get home till anytime from 7-8:30 so at least he gets to see them oh and Lexie gets up at 8:30am Leah sometimes still sleeps in till 10 or 11!