Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

FAO breastfeeding mummy's

People keep asking me when im going to wean Max off the breast and im not quite sure what to do.

Im back to work the day after his first birthday so i need to swap his mid morning and mid afternoon feeds to cows milk but im in no rush to stop his wake up and bedtime feed. I dont really want to stop at all yet. Im thinking that by the 18month mark i'd like to be finished but i want to do it really gradually.

What are your plans?xx

Replies

• Yep, I'm with you. Peter is going to have to drop his mid-afternoon feed soon, as he starts nursery a week after his first birthday. He already has a bottle at night, which we will change for a cup of cows milk, but I don't think I'll be dropping the morning feed for a bit. It is only ten minutes of our morning routine. I'm not that keen on him demanding milk from me during the day, but I do love our morning feeds and am happy to keep them up for the moment at least.
  • Max never asks for his milk anymore, i offer it because i know he needs it and he never refuses a feed so i don't think he'll be too upset when i drop the day feeds, im just hoping he'll start drinking more milk from his beaker.

I think the evening feed will be nice to keep for a while, im guessing he's going to be upset at being separated from me so it will be a nice way to end the day xx
  • I don't really have a clear plan, but was thinking along the same lines as you pixiebob. I would quite like to drop the mid morning and afternoon feeds at around 12 months, but I'm happy to continue with the morning and bedtime feeds for a bit longer.

Ideally, I would love her to wean herself completely somewhere between 12 and 18 months but can't see that happening! I actually can't believe it's something I'm thinking about already. It's quite sad and I will miss it. Nina has been a joy to breastfeed (apart from the old sleep related issues) and I consider myself lucky not to have had any problems. Saying that, part of me is looking forward to stopping as it will mean more flexibility in terms of what I do, so in a way it should be the start of a new chapter.

Enough of my waffling now. x
  • I've been worrying about this. My plan was to wean Freya off starting at 12 months. She does still ask for it and gets very excited when she knows it is coming. I would like her to wean herself off though, because I don't want to force her to stop it when she doesn't understand why she isn't being allowed anymore. At the same time, she doesn't seem remotely close to wanting to stop, and I must admit I would definetly want to be stoped by 18 months. My dh really wants me to stop at 12 months (his family thought it was wrong to continue past 6). So hard to know what to do! x
  • Hi ladies, I'm the same. I am only feeding Ollie morning and night now and one part of me wants to stop soon and another part wants to keep going!

Ollie dropped all his day feeds by himslef and feeds better at bedtime than he does in the morning but still I offer in the morning. Ideally I would like him to self wean after his 1st birthday (in 1 month-ahhhhhh!).
  • i wanted to carry on as long as Leah wanted and she decided a few weeks ago she had had enough image but im glad she decided when to stop i think i would have stopped at about 18months if she had carried on dont listen to other people do what is best for you.
  • what milk is Leah now having ? Cows milk out of a beaker ? How much? Sorry for all the questions, max won't drink more than a few sips from his beaker so it always at the back of my mind that when he does stop bfing, he won't be getting enough nutrients xx
  • P.bob, we have just moved over to cow's milk for Peter's bedtime feed and are trying to move him on to a cup as well. The first night he point blank refused the cup so we are now offering him a few ounces in the bottle first, then the rest in his free-flow cup. He now guzzles both so I am going to start reducing the amount in the bottle and increase the amount in the cup until he just has the cup. Then I'll see if he just takes the cup for his afternoon feed in a few weeks' time. It is all a bit of a faff but it seems to be working...