Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09

Crying

Riley has been fine up until the past week or so and especially the past couple of days. He only ever used to cry when he wanted something, ie. food. But just recently he's been having like crying fits where he looks like he's in pain and I can't really do anything to stop it, I pick him up and rock him which helps a little but we just have to wait till he calms himself. He looks like he's in pain as he arches his back, draws his legs up and kicks them out. He cries so much he makes himself cough. Then all of a sudden he just stops and looks so happy just staring around. I don't think its wind as I get him to burp most of the time.

We went out for a meal last night to a local pub and I fed him as soon as I got there and pretty much the whole time we were there he was screaming the place down on and off. We were only there an hour and a half and went as soon as we'd eaten. Also, after I fed him at the pub he started crying and rooting as if he wanted more, gave him a dummy to see if he just wanted to suck but no he spits it out, so I make up another bottle and he takes it for a few seconds but spits it out and won't take anymore. This happens a lot, where I feed him then like an hour later he appears to be hungry and I'll give him the bottle but he keeps it in his mouth spitting most of it out, but if I take the bottle out he starts eating his hands again.

I don't know if its just coincidence but all this seems to have started since we've been using Aptamil Easy Digest. I don't know whether the thicker formula is giving him tummy ache, even though obviously its meant to be easier on the tummy. So I'm trying to get him back on Aptamil 1 but he keeps bringing it back up. Also using gripe water to try and ease is tummy. But what about the constant hungry signs? Could the food not be satisfying enough for him and should I go on to hungry baby?

Sorry for the essay just wondered if anyone else can relate to any of this???
xxx

Replies

• Hi Kel,

BE just ate my repl!grrr! Max gets like this, he cries for a couple of hours in the evening then suddenly stops and falls asleep-he's fighting sleep and gets so tired he can't eat and so hungry he can't sleep, sleep eventually wins-he sleeps for about 10mins then has a big feed and he's then fine again!

I don't know if this is happening with your lo but that's what Max does-especially the part about chewing his hands and then not wanting a feed-he just doesn't know what to do with himself!xx
  • that sounds like colic symptoms to me. drawing his legs up is a classic sign. my boy has been suffering from it although i think he's too lazy to cry!!! anyway we found gripe water helps to settle him although health visitor and midwife recommended infacol. give at every feed and it becomes more liveable with. i'm told it goes away after 12 weeks generally so hopefully the end is in sight!

hope that helps
    x
  • Yeah defo sounds like colic hunny. Maybe get some infacol- ive used this with Laila to help her with her wind, and its fab. I knom theres a few other things you can get. Maybe speak to the hv, they can norm reccomend something or even right you out a prescrption.
    hope this helps.
    xx
  • Actually, the back arching and spitting sounds as if it might be reflux. Apparently one in two infants get it! Peter did and was prescribed Gaviscon Infant. We used it for three days and he was much, much better. He still gets it occasionally but not after every feed so he isn't howling the entire time.

I'd have a word with your GP (the Gaviscon has to be prescribed) who will be able to tell you if it is reflux or colic.

Hope this helps.