Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09

Holidays?

Is anyone going on holiday this year or thinking about going next year?

We are going to a cottage in Angelsey with my mum and her fella for a week in September but hubby wants to get something booked for next year so we've got something to look forward to and we can get it paid off through the year. The problem is though that we would love to go abroad somewhere for the nice weather but worried about it being suitable - comfort and safety wise for Millie and whether it would be more stressful than its worth! Especially thinking that any time in 2010 theres a good chance shes going to be toddling or crawling around!

Has anyone got any good tips and advice for travelling with a baby and ideas of suitable places to go, obviously shorter flights would be better.

xx

Replies

• Hi we've booked a cottage in Cornwall for the end of September, we're also going to visit the mother in law in Majorca in november. I'm really excited about the cottage although it's a long drive from essex but we're stopping off at places along the way so it won't be too bad. I liked the idea of just being able to fill the car up with everything you may or not need and just going.
    I'm not so excited about Majorca though, we wanted to go when it wasn't stupidly hot which is good as we both get stressed in the heat. Theres so much to worry about taking all the stuff, pram, milk and food for the plane it's gonna be a nightmare. We're very lucky that mother in law has a cot and toys and she'll get food, nappies etc so we don't have to worry about that but i can't imagine how much stuff you'd have to take if you were going to a resort. Also at least once we're there we can relax a little as we'll have a babysitter.

I think maybe you should wait til you've been away in september and see how stressful it is and then decide.

I really want someone to come on here and say going abroad is not as bad as we think x

• I'll be able to let you know how bad it is in just over a month! Just booked the tickets to Australia, going at the end of July for 3 weeks. I posted a couple of places and got some really good responses on what to expect so I guess you could look at my other posts and see what Lizzie77 and the others said.

We do have an advantage that we're going to my family and therefore don't have to worry about food and pushchairs etc, either. Still think it is going to be stressful and very much hope we have done the right thing. Saying that, I'm sooooo excited right now! Can't wait to see everyone and my brother & his partner have a 4 week old baby and it will be wonderful to meet little Hamish.

Probably not the best holiday to take as a first one as a little family, but hey, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger image Most people have said now is a good time as Emilia will still sleep a fair bit and isn't moving about yet. Probably not such a big thing on short haul flights but with 12 hours and then another 10 hours on a plane, not wanting to move is a very good thing.

Sorry, not the suggestions you were looking for! Italy is always good as they love children and not too far. Can be a bit warm though.

Far too excited now, just thinking about going home! imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• gem gem - thats same as me I like the thought of just being able to load the car up and go, set off wheb your ready and stopping as much as we need on the way!! Going abroad you have to stick to the flight times you get etc.....can really see it being more hassle than its worth....but I really want to go!!! lol

Aussie - gosh your very brave......will be lovely to see your family though and think it is better to do such a long flight with a younger baby! I love Italy so thank you for the suggestion.

Im thinking of asking round our friends with babies and seeing if anyone fancies all going together then we could take in in turns to have a night out each with the other couple having a night in looking after the babies. Also if we can get some to friends come it wont seem as daunting dont think! We could also get a villa between us instead of a hotel for a similiar price! lol

xxx
  • We're taking Riley to Ibiza a week on monday!!! Can't wait will be a nice break. Hopefully we'll get to relax a bit as well as my mum, dad, nan and grandad are going too and they're more than happy to help with him. They want to look after him one night so me and oh can go out together on our own. And my dad's not bothered about sun bathing so he's offered to take Riley for walks in the pushchair whilst we sunbathe!

My sister is working out there at the minute as she works for Thomson as a kids rep so she's stashed me lots of nappies, wipes, a steriliser and things like that which is a great help.

We're going to try really hard to keep Riley protected from the sun. I'm borrowing a friends lightweight pushchair which will be a lot handier than taking our Buzz.

I'm dreading the journey there slightly as I've had to think about how many bottles to take, how many nappies etc and extra in case the flight is delayed. Riley' can be a pretty grumpy baby as well so god knows what he'll be like on the plane, although we have plenty of family to pass him to! This was one of our reasons for going with them tbh!

I'll let you know how it went when we get back and any tips I can give you.

I think the Balaeric Islands are a good choice as the flight is only a couple of hours and you've still got good weather.

Hope you have a good time at the cottage.
    xxx
  • This year we're going to see friends in inverness in August. We're driving from the midlands so going to take a couple of days to get there stopping on the way as much as we like. We're then going to bath for 4 nights in October. We were going to go to the canaries in November but felt it would be hard work on our own, would have gone if my parents could have come with us. At least staying in this country we can load the car up and not have to worry if we forget anything as we know we can buy from somewhere.
    We are planning to go to Gran Canaria in Feb next year. We're going to a hotel we've already been to so know they cater really well for kids. We also decided to wait until Amelia can move around so we can take her to the beach etc and so she will enjoy it more - Plus we won't have to worry about steralising and she'll be weaned by then
  • We had a mini-break in Cambridge last weekend which went well, although Peter's evening routine went out the window a bit. We are also planning a day trip to the seaside in August to celebrate our anniversary. But those are 'load up the car and go' trips. Our first overseas trip will be at Christmas when we are going to New York to visit my family and I am already terrified, to be honest. Luckily we will be staying with one or other of my parents who will provide a lightweight pram/car seat/high chair etc. and my dad will pick us up from the airport, but the idea of taking a crawling, part-weaned nine-month-old on a seven hour flight and dealing with a five hour time change is a bit daunting. Hopefully if we start planning now it won't be too overwhelming when we go.

As for potential destinations, what about Italy for a city break? I would love to go back at some point, and the Italians are really good with children in restaurants and things like that.
  • We live in Cyprus & our next holiday will be to good old Blighty. It will probably not be until the first part of next year and I am quite looking forward to the cold weather. I really, really want to go back to Thailand but that's more for me and probably wouldn't be great with a baby & feisty toddler!

I haven't been, but have heard Menorca often recommended as a great family destination and the flight isn't that long. Cyprus is good for kids but generally scorching between May and October and the flight is 4-5 hours.
  • We went to Spain a couple of weeks ago. It was find to be honest. You don't really have a holiday like your used to as you still have to do the same routine etc but the nice weather helps. We had a villa then which worked really well. Last weekend end we went to Cornwall and stayed in a hotel. That was harder as I was worried my ds would wake everyone up with his squeals and cries. It was also harder to sterilise the bottles (milton tablets in a small sink!) and had to get water from the restaurant to boil for his water.
    They say its easier to travel when they can't crawl etc but when they are bigger at least you can entertain them easier with toys or a DVD!
    Word of warning; We phoned the airport to see if we could reserve some pre made milk cartons for the flight. I was told that there was no need as they would be having a big order that day.However, I still took sterlile water and powder with me. When I got to Boots, they had run out of pre made cartons! What ever you do don't rely on getting milk airside. I also took pre made cartons for the whole week (9kgs worth) as I did not want my ds to get any stomach upsets from the water. dont forget you can't use mineral water unless it has a low sodium content.
    Have you thought about driving and getting a boat to Spain/France?That way you can take the kitchen sink!! lol
    Happy Hols x