Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Sleeping during the day

My baby is 12 weeks, just wanted to know what other people do when they put their baby down for a nap during the day. Kaylyn isnt to bad at going to sleep on her own after her bath but during the day sometimes she really screams when i put her in her moses basket even though i know she is tired!

Replies

• Hi, Amelia is 11 weeks, goes down really well at night and after night feed but fights like mad during the day. I have to cuddle her to sleep then I put her in her rocking chair, she will moan and cry alot during the day when she gets tired. I try and spot the early signs of her being tired and sit quietly with her to reduce the screaming!! I must admit I haven't introduced a daytime nap routine as we are out and about so much, I do try and have our daily walk or trip out after lunch feed as I know she'll nod off straight away in pram/car seat.
    Sorry can't be more help - At least Kaylyn is good at night!!
  • Hey I've just put Riley down for a nap with 'Ministry of Sound Chillout' CD and he went to sleep straight away. He was getting fidgety so I knew he was tired so I gave him his dummy turned the music on in his room and put him in his moses basket. He was out pretty much straight away.
    Like pumbacat said at least she is good at night!
    xxx
  • I just came on here to ask the very same thing!

Ollie is now 10wks (4wks corrected) and we are still very up and down with sleep- day and night time. Im not too worried about it as I know it will fall into place I just hate to see him so miserable when he is tired but unable to get him to sleep!

I am currently rocking him in his chair and he is kind of drifting off...
  • We really struggle with nap time-i'd love to be able to put him down in his cot and leave him to it so that i can get on with my jobs around the house but he fights it so much. He's out like a light when were out and about and will happily sleep on me after some rocking. Babies are such a mistery-if you're tired, just got to sleep!! What are they fighting!!x
  • I have to admit, I have taken to putting Peter down and leaving him to yell. I give him ten minutes and then go back and pick him up if he is still going. To date the longest he has gone is 8 minutes before falling fast asleep. Usually it is more like a minute. It is horrible but it does seem to be working as he is getting less upset each day. Occasionally he will drop off on my shoulder while I am carrying and rocking him but these last few days he has really been fighting it!

Unfortunately, he also fights after nighttime feeds when I can't really leave him to yell it out. It can take up to an hour to feed and cuddle him back to sleep again - exhausting!
  • I've always been confused about the whole getting baby to sleep thing. Doesn't help that I've sadly probably read all the baby sleep related books with all the conflicting advice! At the moment I usually bf Nina before her naps so she's very relaxed/sleepy, wind her, then I do the patting back shushing thing and but her down at least semi awake. She sucks her thumb or hand and I sometimes need to carry on patting her back whilst she's in her bed. If she's cries I'll repeat the whole procedure (minus the feed) and keep picking her up and putting her back down until she's settled. Sometimes works first time but usually takes a few attempts (more at night) and can be so time consuming, but I think she's getting better and better at settling. Pixiebob, sometimes I do tell her just to go to sleep, but she doesn't listen..arrgh!x