Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09

Am I the only one...?

...who still has to get up in the night with their lo?

I've been looking through the April forum and a lot of their lo's are sleeping through too.

I feed Riley once in the night now but he still wakes at least once more screaming. It's so hard getting him back to sleep sometimes, I think he suffers with reflux and when he has these crying fits I just have to sit there with him crying (and me crying sometimes) until he calms down. I often have to get the hairdryer to calm him down and if that doesn't work I just have to put him back in his cot, go back to bed and stick my head under the pillow. It's so tiring and oh has never gotten up in the night with him, in fact he doesn't even wake up.

I'm starting to think I will never get a good nights sleep again, well at least not for a while.
xxx

Replies

• hi ya' just to let you know your not the only one thats still up in the night!! my lo was born the 7th march and has not slept through once yet he still wakes up on average every 3 hours . And like you my dh carries on sleeping through all the crying that winds me up more then the baby being awake!! xx
  • My lo is now waking in the night as he is hungry. Milk is just not enough (15 weeks and 18lbs!) but I am not allowed to wean him yet. This maybe your situation? if not have you tried gripe water or infacol? Or even reading up about how to settle babies. Sounds silly but I have picked up lots of tips from various books.
    It is hard and you will get a good night sleep soon. Its a shame your oh is not helping. It maybe that he could actually help in settling him!! Its funny to think there must be hundreds of Mum's up during the night at the same time!!x
  • Im up with Max still-he wakes around 3times a night for a feed (bf). My hubbie can't help with this unfortunatley but i think your oh needs a hard elbow into the ribs-he should be getting up to help you and i often find that if im having trouble getting Max off to sleep, when my hubbie takes over, he often goes flat out-a fresh approach does wonders.

I'd sit down and explain to him just how tired your getting and that you need his support.

Goodluck hun, we'll all get there eventually xx
  • Amelia was sleeping through but has started waking again now but think its due to teething as she doesn't take a feed. I really wouldn't worry, every baby is different and just when you rhinbk you've cracked it something with interfere with sleeping pattern!!
    You need to talk to oh, my oh doesn't actually get up to sort Amelia out but he will ask if I need anything so I guess the thought is there.
  • I feel so bad for everyone that is still getting up more than once to their babies. I onlt have to do one feed in between 3 and 4 in the morning and thats hard! But then my 3 year old still wakes most nights once sometime twice so have been like this for nearly four years now! But it will change all of a sudden...the babies will gradually manage without a feed and there should be a difference once weaning is established.
    It is so draining night after night...especially if they then take time to settle. hang in there girls. x
  • Thanks, its nice to know I'm not the only one!

I've been giving Riley gaviscon and I think its making a difference. The past two nights he's only woke once at around 2.30-3 then gone back down pretty well until 6.30. I hope I'm not jinxing it now!

I don't like to bother my oh in the night as he has to work and bring the money in blah blah and if he didn't get his sleep he would be very mardy the next day!

Thanks for the re-assurance xxx
  • Daisy doesn't wake, but just wanted to send you all some moral support!

Fingers crossed that it won't be long for you all..

C xx
  • Laila went for ages of sleeping though the night, but has recently started waking once about 3am, i've uped her formula during the day and have pretty much stopped bf now although milk is still coming in on one side, so did give her bit of bf today cos it was sooo painful!!! Anyway back to the point, am taking her to hv this wk, as she is just constantly sick- she has had this since she was born, but seems to have got alot worst!!! is now having 6-8oz most feeds, but is wanting feeding 3 hrs, think this is cos she sicks most of it up.
    Sorry kinda went off the point there. dont worry about los sleeping through yet, they're all still very young, and some still very tiny. How much does Riley weigh now? he was a small baby wasnt he??
  • Hi yer he was 4lb7 at birth but he's put on loads of weight, he's now 12 weeks and weighs 11lb4 now!
    xxx
  • Im still up with Ollie too!

He does go longer at night now though, on average its 6hrs but he has done 7 a few times and even 8hrs once!

But we are always up at least once still. He is 16wks and weighed 10lb 9oz 2 weeks ago.