Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Safety gate on bedroom door-thoughts

Hi girls,

I'm thinking way ahead here but im desperate to avoid (as much as possible) any new sleep problems developing. I can just imagine when we put max into a 'big boy bed' that he'll be in and out of it all night and will end up in with us, my friend has a stair gate across her lo's bedroom door , I'm thinking, if we put one up now, by the time we put him in a bed, he'll be used to it rather than making a negative association of it with his new bed.

What do think? Do you think it's a bit cruel to gate him in? Xx

Replies

• We've had a gate across Peter's door ever since he started moving because we can't put one across the head of the stairs (very odd landing layout). He doesn't like it very much, especially if he can see us on the other side while we are running his bath or washing hands after a nappy change, say. But we can't let him out to tumble down stairs, so needs must. And if he finds something to play with he will crawl off and forget about the gate altogether - although he makes a beeline for it as soon as it is open! We also have friends who put a gate across their son's bedroom door for exactly the reason you give and he doesn't seem phased by it now that he is nearly three, although I don't think he was too keen to begin with. So no, not cruel but possibly a necessary evil.
  • Thanks THG, how annoying that you can't gate your stairs, that must be such a pain! Yes, I think we'll put one up sooner rather than later-I won't have to even close it but it'll get him used to it being there, I don't know why I don't like the idea of gating him in but I think it'll help his sleep in the long term and actually, it's far better than closing his door and far safer than having him wandering around upstairs in the middle of the night x
  • we'll be doing this too, we're in a flat so don't ahve to worry about stairs but once he's in a bed rather than a cot i think we'll need one, particulalry for during the night or v early mornings i don't wantt o get in to the habit of him coming in to bed with us, we've managed to avoid it so far so would like to keep it that way, also means if he does wake up early he can play quietly without getting himself into any mischief, most people i know with lo's have stairgates across the kids bedroom door. xx
  • P.bob, do not get me started on how much I hate this freezing cold child-unfriendly house! The only positives about are a) it is in a lovely village/suburb, b) it is close to the shops and station and c) it has a lovely big kitchen diner. Other than that, I cannot wait to move, if only we could find a house with a garden and a decent kitchen within walking distance of a train station! Argh!

Sorry, minor digression there. I think you are right about the safety of the gate over the door. At them moment we don't lock Peter's at night because he can't get out of his cot but we will do when he becomes more mobile. They will get used to it, I'm sure, and it isn't as if we are going to leave them to cry when they can't get out!
  • Oh i plan to have a gate on Spencers room in our new house as i'm hoping he'll get used to playing with his toys in there so i can happily leave him while i tend to the new baby x
  • I've just had my 6th baby and i would recommend doing it, i have always done it and it just gives you that break too. I quite often put Osian on his bedroom floor to play because since having the new baby he won't leave him alone and even threw a toy car at his face todayimage
    Osian is still in his cot but he shares his room with his 2year old brother which is the main reason for the gate on the door cos he's would be into everything in the mornings otherwise. I don't think it's cruel and also did it for my other 2 boys who are now 4 and 6 xxx