Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09

When are you weaning?

When my boys where small the rec age was 4months - the guidlines have changed now and they rec 6months - Im going to take Evans lead on it...if i think he needs it before 6months i will wean him, hes 4months this week so feels weird not to wean him like the others!

xxxxxx

Replies

• We are waiting until 6 months as we want to try baby led weaning. Peter currently shows no interest in our food, so I'm not too worried. If he starts then we'll rethink, but I am guessing we will make it to September on milk alone.
  • 13yrs ago it was 3/4mnths and my eldest was weaned at this time, the younger one (now 11) was about 5 months old and that caused quite a stir with the HV, but i didnt feel she was ready!

Erin-Beth is 4 months today and i think she has been ready for several weeks, she started waking during the nite (and after 8wks of sleeping thru its been hell!!! image ) she sits up with a little bit of support, everything goes in her mouth and she follows the food you are eating!
    I was hanging on cos of the 6month advice..but last nite i gave in and she had a munch of my banana (squished up)...mainly cos i felt so guilty eating it in front of her...she was looking at me like she was starving, and she absolutely loved it and it wasnt even feed time!

Today she had a big bowl of baby rice (only planned on giving her a spoonful) after her normal breast feed and she loved that too, so i have officially started and I'm being completly led by her, if she dont want it one day then im not gonna worry, just gonna go with the flow...thou im not sure how to tell the HV :lol: i was worried about her lack of weight gain only 12lb 2 at 17wks putting on only 1/2 ounce in 3wks!! hopefully now she will pile it on now :\)
  • All babies are so different arnt they! Evan is fine if he has a top up of formula in the day, otherwise he is totally starving on bf alone (currently has 3oz of aptimil at lunch time for the past wk) now if he was on formula i would take it as a sign he needed something else, im not sure whats better babyrice with bf milk or formula top ups...he sits up very well and does watch us eat, whilst ramming his hands in his mouth, i dont know why i feel so wary this time round :lol: I know for sure i wont be telling my hv if we start early tho ;\)

HG if you get peter to six months on bf alone do it, i would love to get Evan to last that long but think its very unlikely! xxxx
  • Erin totally refuses a bottle wether breast milk or formula... and with all the extra feeds she is now wanting i couldnt keep up, today she already seems back to her happy chirpy self so i know ive def done the right thing. And i feel much more wary this time round not just about weaning but everything..its really odd!
  • It is odd isnt it, ive done this twice before for gods sake and im constantly 2nd guessing myself this time - stupid! This is the problem, hes hit and miss with the bottle...yesterday he refused it totally and was so hungry it was a awful day, watching him cry and feed but so frustrated as he wasnt getting what he wanted...i was that close to giving him some babyrice yest but oh stopped me...apparently he looks to much like a baby still lmao! Will see what the week brings i guess but if he keeps refusing the bottle then i guess il give it a go and see what he does....we currently go with hrly feedings most days anyway...hes a big boy and likes to eat ALOT!
  • Well, Peter is certainly taking plenty of milk at the moment - an 8.5 oz bottle of EBM at bedtime tonight and then he demanded more so I fed him myself. But he seems happy enough on it and he is certainly piling on the weight so I'm not worried. I'd love to make it to 6 months exclusively breastfed, so here's hoping at any rate.

Perhaps you might try Evan on baby rice and see what happens. One of the mums at my mum and baby group tried her son with baby rice at 19 weeks and he hated it. Four weeks later he was tucking in happily and is now well on his way with weaning. As malakin says, I think they let you know what they want when they want it!
  • Amelia is a big girl so I know she won't go 6 months on milk alone. She has 4 8oz bottles per day, plus 2 oz of water, the hv told me I wouldn't be able to increase the amount of milk because of the volume of fluid in her belly, so I guess when she starts wanting more (quite happy at the minute) we'll have to start weaning.
    We have an appointment with a consultant at the hospital on monday becuase of amelia's weight gain so I'm going to ask about weaning then and see what they recommend