Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Talking

Just wondered if our lo's were saying anything yet? Max babbles a bit but mainly makes shouty noises! He knows mama and says this specifically for me but also at anyother time when he's in distress eg, nappy changes, if he's dropped his beaker etc.

His cousin is 3 and another little friend who's 2 and they can barely say 1 word, hubbie said 'well boys do tend to be slower with their speech' but I really don't want max to struggle with it, you can see how frustrated the boys get when they can't express themselves.

I talk to him all the time, label everything around him, ask him questions (to which he raises both arms up into the air as if to say 'I dunno!', very cute!) and we look at books together. Any other ideas or are the other marchies not saying anything yet either, they're still only 9months afterall! xx

Replies

• hi, sounds like max is doing brilliantly! austins not saying anything atm, he babbles alot but these past few days he's been concentrating more on 'dadadadada' and is saying that to everything at the moment, but thats it, i don't think he links it to OH either as he 'says' it all the time. i don't know if this meanse, he's on track or behind or what, but we are trying to bring him up bi lingual (english/flemish) and i did hear that bi lingual babies can take a little longer as they have twice the amount to process, but i'm not sure, i as going to ask my hv on wednesday where he shld be iwth speech now. i read books to him and talk to him ALL the time (but then i'm a bit of a chatterbox and wld talk to myself if i had to lol) but i'm definately gonna step itup a bit, what kind of questions do u ask him? oh and raspberries, if he's not doing the 'dadada' thing he's blowing raspberries! i've also heard that boys can take longer at speech and 'thinking' stuff and that girls can take longer in the more physical stuff like walking, all the boys in my family (nephews) have seemeed to be relatively late talkers but in the way taht one day there just pointing and going 'uh' and then the next they're jabbering away like there's no tomorrow. one of nephews infact they were getting abhit worried about as at 18months he was showing no sign of talking but then one day they heard him thru the monitor chatting away to himself, like a proper conversation lol, turnsd out his older brother did all the talking for him so he didn't really get the oportuinity in the day or rather wasn't much pioint cos he didn't need to lol xx
  • Oh the raspberries, yes we get them constantly, especially during mealtimes- I had a Couscous shower yesterday! Max has just woken so have to go xx
  • Well, I could swear that Peter said 'iss' today. That's what I'm telling myself anyway! :lol: Otherwise, it is just 'dadadada' to everything or shouting. He makes a sort of yelling noise a lot of the time that I have decided to label as him singing as there are absolutely no consonants involved.

According to my 'What to Expect...' book, at this age babies should be able to say 'dada' or 'mama' indiscriminately, may be able to say them discriminately (so in relation to something or someone specific) and be on the verge of being able to say one other 'word' (so 'dada' and 'mama' or 'baba').

I'm trying not to worry too much about language. I don't think we will understand words from them for a few months. We just need to keep talking to them as much as possible and give them chance to respond, however they chose to do that. Peter is clearly showing signs of understanding what we say, although he doesn't respond in appropriate ways yet. I'm keeping his pushchair facing me at the moment and talking to him and reading to him regularly. We also tend to have Radio 4 on for a lot of the day. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not, though, as we sometimes talk over it which I doubt sets a good example!
  • ah yeh the shout, lol! austin does that quite a lot, particulalry if the go compare advert is on lol. he also copies quite a lot, if laugh at somehting he does the little fake laugh that doesn't siound like his laugh at all but more like a little lamb lol. also if u give him a cuddle he does a really cute 'awwww' noise and rests his head on u. to me tho tha dada thing doesn't sound like he knows its one of us to ????me it seems like its just a noise he's learnt to make (much like the previous babababababa, aggagaga) and thinking about tho i think he is quite close to 'hi' if u say hi and wave at him he waves back and makees a high picthed noise so perhaps thats what that is... x
  • We get nananana too and he will give you something if you put your hand out to him. He's got a toy where you put balls in holes at the top and then push them through and they shoot out the other side, he's mastered that and if one rolls under the sofa he gets down on his belly and looks at it then looks at me at shouts! So I guess this is all communicating and understanding just in different ways, they're so funny aren't they! X
  • Amelia has definately found her voice, shouting alot!!! I talk to her all the time, I have my own little conversations with her!! People do stare when we're out walking!! We read, sing nursery rhymes, I ask her lots of questions. I'm sure she understands what I'm saying, especially 'No' because I get a cheeky smile and she carries on doing what ever it is she shouldn't be doing!! I'm not too worried about her speech as she will get there when she's ready and I'll keep chatting away to her, like pixiebob says they are already communicating in their own little ways, which is so cute. When they start talking its just another sign they are growing upimage
  • Nina says mamma, babas and dadas and various shouty , punctuated noises! I believe she understands a lot. If I say ' where is daddy / Angelo' she will look for them.

In our case boys being slower with language but faster to walk and girls visa versa doesn't seem to apply. Nina was an early walker at 9 months. Angelo (now 2 1/2) walked at 13 months and his language is fantastic. I believe lot's of reading and not using too much baby language helped. We also used to spend a lot of time with picture cards which he loved. They're great and I wish I had the time to go through them with Nina.

It makes me laugh when Nina is trying to get my attention and she just seems to explode and shout 'argghhh' whilst frantically waving her arms and legs!
  • Freya is doing lots of the things described above. It is so amazing how old they are getting! Not even a year, and no longer our little babies. It is a tiny bit sad, but really so much more exciting than sad. It is so fun seeing their personalities and their little traits coming through. Freya had a proper tantrum in the bath the other day, I'm not at all sure why (it will be nice when her language can explain!), but I was holding her trying to put her in and she was really angry about it, and she properly stamped her feet twice. It was actually rather cute and funny, although it is probably the first and last time a temper tantrum will be! Fortunetly she is generally a very happy little thing, if rather sure of her own mind, so I'm hopping she won't be one of those children having screaming fits in the middle of the shop!!!!

I also find it amazing now that they are beginning to understand what is said, and respond appropriately. It amazes me everytime Freya looks where I tell her to, or does what I tell her to (probably down to a mixture of language and action).
  • kayleigh is saying dada all the time and has said mama but not often,she is however in last few days trying to have a conversation with me and babbles on for ages lol!!! x
  • Sounds like all the march babies are doing fabulously!!!
    LAila is a right little chatterbox, and just shouts at everyone when out in her pushchair or trolly!!! she can say mumma, dadda, patta(pat-a-cake), she tries to say james (ds name)!!! She does alot of bable as well!!
  • We went to the lakes today and there were hundreds of geese, I kept saying 'goose' to Max and he started shouting 'ooooooooo' at them, it was ever so cute.

Ah, bless laila shouting at people from her trolley! Xx
  • What clever things a BIM babies are!

Evan says dada, muma, bubba, nana - he also reconises people if you say there name and has started to say 'A' (ta) if he wants something :lol:

Hes very loud but with 2 older brother hes has to be ;\)