Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How often do you feed your lo's

Amelia will be 11 weeks on monday, she is currently having 7oz every 4 hours starting from about 7am. This means though she is only getting 4 feeds between breakfast and bedtime feed, she will then wake about 1am for another full feed.
I'm thinking of changing her feeds to every 3 hours giving her 5oz. I'm also hoping that by having smaller more frequent feeds she might wake up about 11 ish for nighttime feed then sleep thrpough till 6am ish. We also have a horrible hour each day before we start our bedtime routine which I think is partly due to her wanting more food before bed. I also realise that she won't sleep through on our current routine.
Amelia also gets quite a bit of tummy ache, perhaps due to having big feeds in one go.
I was just wondering what feeding routines you other mums have.
Shell x

Replies

• austin is mixed feeding and goes roughly 4hours between feeds. he's 9 weeks old and breastfeeds at about 5am, 9am, bottle at 1pm (7oz), breast at 5pm then bedtime bottle at 8.30pm(7oz). he doesn't usually wake (touch wood lol) for a night feed but occasionally will wake around 3am for a top up. he's been feeding like this for a couple of weeks now and i'll probably increase his bottle to 8oz soon cos he is beginning to drain them. I think it goes less on age and more on weight. bigger the baby, the bigger the tummy the more it can hold so the longer between feeds. u might find that by reducing the amount of feed she won't be satisfied so will cry for more until tge next feed. if her tummy can take 7oz then 5oz will only be half filling her. bit like u wanting a roast but having a sandwhich lol.

hth, and hope amelia and urself are well xx
  • Millie will be 12 weeks on Tuesday! (were has the time gone...3 month old already! *cry*) She mostly goes around 3 hrs between feeds, I make up 6oz bottles but she rarely finishes them. She usually leaves the last 1oz sometimes the last 2oz! She usually goes 4hrs once a day and this changes daily to which feed it is, think it depends what were doing that day.

Just a thought as you said she is unsettled about an hr before you start her bedtime routine, if Millie gets like this I just give her a couple of oz's out of her bedtime bottle and this tends to settle her down a bit to be able to fully enjoy her bath, although even if we do this we still get hysterical screaming once we take her out of the bath, and even though she loves her baths she does seem to enjoy them even more if shes had a couple of oz's just before!

Recently shes been awaking about 5am ish and having the full 6oz bottle and going straight back to sleep until 8.30ish and having 4-5oz out of a 6oz bottle, then will usually go 4hrs until 12.30ish (but depends what were doing, she only usually does this if we are out and about!) then another 6oz bottle at about 3.30ish which she will have 4-5oz, then she will go til we start her bedtime routine around 6.45/7pm, so last bottle at 7.30pm ish, another 6oz one that she sometimes finishes sometimes not. So over the day she has 5 bottles but the amount of milk she actually has changes daily.

xxx

[Modified by: Beth24 on May 24, 2009 10:08 PM]

[Modified by: Beth24 on May 24, 2009 10:10 PM]

[Modified by: Beth24 on May 24, 2009 10:12 PM]

• Charlotte feeds around every 3-4 hours and takes anywhere from 4ozs to 6 ozs. She still wakes at around 3am for a feed & this is usually a big feed. I started dreamfeeding her at 10pm-11pm as I thought having her last feed at 7pm may be whats causing her to still be waking through the night but its not made any difference, just occassionally pushes her waking time back an hour.
    Remember at this age babies will generally eat what they want when they want.