Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

He did it!

Yup, after nearly six months, Peter just slept through the night from 7:30 until 7:15! image There were some thumps as he rolled over at 4 am, but otherwise not a peep until the morning! (I, of course, woke every hour until 6:30 because I was so unused to not hearing him. :lolimage

He's been down to waking once for the past week but I never expected him to move to sleeping so long so quickly. He went from 7:30 until 5 yesterday and then went back down until 8. We may be back to an early waking tonight, but I can definitely handle it now that I know he can go through.

I don't know what has made the difference, but I suspect that he has just matured physically. He is breathing much more quietly at night now (so quietly that I have to put my hand on his chest when I check him before bed). Also he as learned how to sleep on his tummy, where before the rolling over at 4 would have woken him automatically.

I am so pleased and proud of my baby, although I have realised that a very, very small part of me is going to miss the quiet intimacy of our feeds in the wee sma's - although I'm sure we will have a few more in the next few weeks.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know, as you have had to live with our sleep (or lack of) saga or so long. :\)

Replies

• Options
    I'm so pleased for you!! What a good boy Peter has been! I do think it makes a huge difference when they can move themselves around and get comfortable. Out of curiosity, do you think that the solid food has played a part at all? Or is he not taking that much at the moment?

Anyway, whatever the cause, long may it continue! x
  • Options
    Thanks, missy!

To be honest, I have no idea if the food played any role. The amount he actually consumes seems to be pretty erratic and I'm not sure he has made the connection between food and feeling full. Certainly he is having as much milk as always during the day.

We have also just put him in his longer (6-18 month!) sleeping bags. My guess is a combination of food, not having his legs so cramped, breathing more quietly in his sleep and being able to sleep on his tummy have all combined. We will be starting full-on BLW on Sunday so it will be interesting to see if that has any effect. In the meantime, I'm just hoping for a repeat performance tonight!

*firmly crosses every appendage*
  • Options
    Well done Peter! I'll keep my fingers crossed but I'm sure I dont need to really as it sounds like he's there now!
  • Options
    Well, almost. He rolled over again at 4:30 this morning and woke himself up so I fed him and he went back down until 8. A bit of a pain but he is definitely sleeping longer and is so close to sleeping through properly that I can't feel too annoyed.
  • Options
    WOOOHOOOO!

Welldone Peter!! I really hope he's done it again since you last posted and that you can start to relax and enjoy a well earned rest!

I hope Max follows his lead. He's not been too bad lately, usually 2 feeds a night.

Ah, i feel proud of Peter and he's not even mine-i feel like we've gone through it together!xx
  • Options
    Aw, thank you, pixiebob! image I know what you mean about going through it together. I will be jumping with joy the night that Max sleeps through.

Glad to hear that he is getting better. Peter is back to one feed a night, but we are so close, I can feel it. And I'm sure Max will be there too, soon. And then, as you say, we can both enjoy a well-earned night's sleep! image
  • Options
    Do you know what, ive totally relaxed about the whole thing, Don't get me wrong, i'll be SO happy when he does it but i think my body has now really adjusted to it. It's the nights when he's very unsettled and can't get back to sleep that are tough but 2 feeds a night is not much to complain about, they'll do it in their own time.

Ive also started letting him sleep on me during the day, he wasn't napping at all as i was desperate to get him to take his naps in his cot which he just can't manage bless him. So we get comfie on the bed, ive got my travel pillow and we both have a good rest-2hours this morning! xx
  • Options
    Ah, sounds lovely, cuddly and relaxed! I'm so lucky that Peter has always napped well during the day, but he won't go to sleep on me anymore, unless I feed him to sleep. I miss it! :\(

I know what you mean about adjusting to the night time feeds. As you say, as long as he goes back down fairly easily, it isn't so bad, and as I said in one of my earlier posts, I am going to miss our cuddles in the dark just a little bit. Sleeping through will mean my baby is growing up. :\(
  • Options
    Oh, i never thought of that-they won't need mummy milk to get them through the night anymore! image

Yes, im thinking positive about the naps-it would be great if he could sleep for a good stretch in his cot, i could get so much done but this is such a small period of his life and if he needs me there so that he can get the rest he needs then that's what i'll do-snuggling up twice a day is hardly a chore!! I do worry about him going to nursery in march but it should only be 3-4 mornings a weeks and they might have more succes than me, if not, we'll spend every afternoon napping together!x
  • Options
    *firmly crosses every appendage* LOL!

Aw our babies are doing so well. You're probably right about it being a combination of different factors. We are down to one feed at around 4am now and I will be interested to see if this continues when Nina starts solid food. Hmm, maybe I should put her in the next size sleeping bags! I actually quite like this arrangement as she usually goes back to sleep until 8-8.30 which is around the time Angelo gets up.

Pixiebob, I'm so glad Max has reduced the nights feeds. What a great attitude you have though. It really is such a short period so you enjoy those lovely cuddly naps. From what I've heard they tend to what they are 'supposed' to at Nursery so try not to worry! x
  • Options
    Oh THG, meant to ask how the official start of BLW went? x
  • Options
    Very well, thanks, missy! He loves food and has tried everything offered so far - Readybrek with apple and pear pur????e, cottage pie and broccoli, tuna bake with banana for dessert and a homemade rusk as a mid-morning snack yesterday and toast with unsalted butter this morning. We're having a few issues with regards to timings of milk feeds (he wanted one in the middle of lunch yesterday - with my in-laws here!) but I'm sure we'll work things out. And I am still trying to work out how to make sure that the food is warm enough for me and my husband but not too warm for him. It will take time, but it is going to be quite fun getting there, actually.

Pixiebob, I wouldn't worry too much about nursery, I don't think. They should need less sleep during the day by a year old (no, I don't want to think about them being that old either!) and I'm sure the nursery will be used to dealing with all types of sleepers. In the meantime, enjoy your cuddles! Sounds blissful! :\)
  • Options
    Wow, Peter is a very lucky boy! I presume you are doing a mix of spoon feeding and finger food? Or you're very brave letting him loose with the Readybrek! I think this is the route we'll be going down when we start this week. With regard to the food temperature, we usually take some aside from the hot pan or dish and put it in Angelo's bowl spaced out so it cools for a few minutes before dishing up our portions and all eating together. I agree that weaning is quite fun! x
  • Options
    Yes, we do a bit of everything - spoon feeding, handing him a loaded spoon, hands straight in the food! :lol: The mess is really quite impressive but he seems best when handed a loaded spoon and allowed to feed himself which I'm quite impressed by. Hopefully he will carry on being as unfussy as he has been for the past few days. I love cooking and it is nice to have my food appreciated. :\)