Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Our bodies

I was wondering how everyone else is feeling about their post pregnancy bodies 8-9 months on?

I have lot's of aches and pains, mainly in my back and shoulders and generally feel quite unfit at the moment. Not to mention physically tired. I would love to do a strengthening exercise like pilates as this would probably sort out a lot of my problems but can't seem to find time. Well, it would have to be when the kids are in bed after 7, but then I can't find the motivation. I also get a lot of pain before my period, which I never had previously and it goes on a lot longer. Hopefully this will get better with time. And quite gutted I will always have the old episiotomy scar..lovely.

More positively, I'm back to my pre pregnancy size and even got in my bikini this summer! Ok, my belly is a tad on the wobbly side but I like my food too much and hate sit ups!

Replies

• I had an episiotomy but never think about the scar, out of sight out of mind I suppose!

Physically my body hasn't changed much, apart from the horrible purple stretch marks on my boobs but only me and OH see them so not too bothered! I do get a little back and shoulder ache but I used to because of my job before anyway, I'd love to do pilates but like you just don't have the time and motivation! I never used to get headaches before but I do now, not sure whether that's because of Riley or my pill lol.

I'm quite thankful that Riley was a tiddler so therefore so was my pregnancy tummy so was back into my pre-pregnancy jeans straightaway. Would love to find the motivation to tighten my tummy a bit though with some sit-ups! We're getting married next year so that may kick me to get into shape a bit! x
  • I was actually just thinking about this in the shower this morning. I don't actully *feel* that different physically, although I think I probably look it. I am back to my pre-pregnancy weight, but my body shape has changed, so that I can get back into my pre-pregnancy jeans but they don't look the same, somehow. I'm still losing weight (the joys of breast feeding image) which is nice. Maybe I'll get that perennial ten pounds off this time!

The bit I'm not too keen on is my chest, which is becoming very saggy. As soon as I finish breast feeding I'm off to Rigby and Peller for some expensive and supportive new bras! Otherwise, I'm impressed by how quickly my body has recovered, especially given the size Peter was at birth!

My back does ache a bit, but that is probably no surprise, given that I spend much of the day lugging a 23lb. baby about. I would love to get back to doing some serious exercise again as well. I enjoy the walking I do, but I so miss ballroom dancing and swimming. I'm now on the hunt for a baby sitter!
  • Im ok with how i look in clothes now, im still 6bls over my pre-pregnancy weight but i often had comments that i was too skinny before so im making no effort to loose it. Im also getting my sense of style back, i didn't know how to dress after having Max but am feeling generally more confident.

In the rudies is another matter, i really don't like my boobs, they've really drooped-Max has sucked all the life out of them!! I'll be buying some good bras too!

My tummy is really wobbly, nothing some sit-ups wouldn't fix but i haven't got the energy or the inclination!!

Im not 100% in the downstairs department, i can feel a weakness down there and im scared of tearing, i know it's a mental block ive got and my hubbie is very understanding so we'll get there xx
  • I know how you feel history girl, my little (or not so little!!) girl is a heavy one too, my arms are certainly toned but it does takes it toll on the back!!
    I'm about 7/8lb heavier than before but actually not too bathered as I'm getting used to my new shape. I got quite down about it to start with as I've also been a bit weight obsessed, I would get stressed if prepreganacy clothes didn't fit right so my oh took me shopping and now I feel so much better!!!
    I do need to tone my tummy though, but like the rest of you mummies its finding the time and when amelia is in bed I feel too knackered and flop on the sofa!!
  • Well, I am now back to my pre-pregnancy weight, thanks to Slimming World!

I'm feeling so much happier with how I look, although I do still have a bit of a tummy - it's not wobbly, it's fat!!! Hoping that as I carry on with Slimming World and walking etc, it'll start to disappear..

Wish I could do some exercise, but since having Doodle, I have a problem with my bones (possibly Rheumatoid Arthritis?) so can't really do much except walk. I could swim I suppose, but now it's cold, I don't want to go! Plus, the only session I could make is on a Wednesday evening and that's my Slimming World night... I'm not giving that up as it's working to keep me relatively motivated..

I have a couple more stretch marks on my tummy too, but already had some before so not that bothered about them!

My boobs are no different (perhaps a little smaller), probably due to the fact that it wasn't possible for me to breastfeed!

If you'd have asked me this question a month ago, I'd have avoided the topic and then sat feeling depressed and fed up about how disgusting I look - I know I still have some to lose, but I'm much happier than I was!!

Had a c-section so the lady bits are not affected - never dilated more than 2cm, but do have a disgusting c-section overhang and a very wonky scar!!!

C xx
  • hmmm gonna be a long one me thinks, i'm still about 2 stone over weight (altho i don't have any scales but guessing by clothes) i did loose some initially but its all poiled back on altho my mate broght her SW stugg round today so now i need to get a kick up the arse to actually start it. i HATE my tummy, c section over hang--- its like an old mans belly, i loathe it. clothes don't look righth, unless i wear a tent as its that wld be the only thing that doesn't clong and make me look like vickie pollard. my scar still aches sometimes particularly when i hav emy period, or if i've slept on my tummy the whole area is sore for that day. my boobs are saggy now so have had to get some good bras (use to get away with asda ones etc but now its debenhams all the way) my skin is awful, i've got loads of spots all the bloody time and i never used to get spots at all (maybe thats down to lack of sleep tho). however lady bits are theorically unaffected (i did at one point belive this to be a nice perk when trying to feel better about the section lol) but...every time we try it hurts 'down there' have seen a gaene who said some rubbish about it being down to not having started my preiods again properly yet so therefor if i'm not ovulating i'm not getting the 'juices' tmi, srry, but this is poo cos even light tampons hurt on a very heavy period, so i do'nt get itn, but they did say no infections and evrythjing is 'anatomically correct' so go figure.

anything else.....oh, my thighs...most definately the chinkiest they have ever been and at 5ft i really can't get away with extra weight, so now i just look like an overweight weeble. i have my gym ball, and have seen a few programs on telly 'gym bal workouts' byut finding the time and energy are another matter lol, when austin does have a nap i do my jobs, have a cuppa on here and then crack on again, also with OH being home (still) i feel abit embarrassed doing anything like that in front of him cos i know he'll take the mick or he'll feel obliged to tell me i look fine as i am blah blah blah

xx
  • hmmm gonna be a long one me thinks, i'm still about 2 stone over weight (altho i don't have any scales but guessing by clothes) i did loose some initially but its all poiled back on altho my mate broght her SW stugg round today so now i need to get a kick up the arse to actually start it. i HATE my tummy, c section over hang--- its like an old mans belly, i loathe it. clothes don't look righth, unless i wear a tent as its that wld be the only thing that doesn't clong and make me look like vickie pollard. my scar still aches sometimes particularly when i hav emy period, or if i've slept on my tummy the whole area is sore for that day. my boobs are saggy now so have had to get some good bras (use to get away with asda ones etc but now its debenhams all the way) my skin is awful, i've got loads of spots all the bloody time and i never used to get spots at all (maybe thats down to lack of sleep tho). however lady bits are theorically unaffected (i did at one point belive this to be a nice perk when trying to feel better about the section lol) but...every time we try it hurts 'down there' have seen a gaene who said some rubbish about it being down to not having started my preiods again properly yet so therefor if i'm not ovulating i'm not getting the 'juices' tmi, srry, but this is poo cos even light tampons hurt on a very heavy period, so i do'nt get itn, but they did say no infections and evrythjing is 'anatomically correct' so go figure.

anything else.....oh, my thighs...most definately the chinkiest they have ever been and at 5ft i really can't get away with extra weight, so now i just look like an overweight weeble. i have my gym ball, and have seen a few programs on telly 'gym bal workouts' byut finding the time and energy are another matter lol, when austin does have a nap i do my jobs, have a cuppa on here and then crack on again, also with OH being home (still) i feel abit embarrassed doing anything like that in front of him cos i know he'll take the mick or he'll feel obliged to tell me i look fine as i am blah blah blah

xx
  • Overall it sounds like we're doing really well. I'm sure the wobbly tummys can be easily fixed. And siany I'm sure you're no Vicky Pollard! And I imagine the hormones are still all over the place and your skin will settle soon.

THG, can't wait to get back into some nice undies aswell! Alright it may be M&S for me but the sentiments the same.

Pixiebob, I get the comment about being skinny too. It's quite annoying as it's my natural body shape. I eat really well and have a positive body image so why comment?? Grr.

Oh I was wondering about your boobs too! I think mine are fine at the moment, quite nice really, but wonder what they will be like when I stop breastfeeding. I was still breastfeeding angelo when pregnant with Nina and stopped when about 10 weeks pregnant so it's been a while. I hope I'm not in for a nasty shock! x
  • Missy, R&P is a bribe to myself to get that last 10 (now 15 image) pounds off! After that it is back to M&S basics for me. image

I saw my dance teacher in the shop today and am now definitely going to be searching for a regular babysitter. It will be great to get moving properly again!
  • ive actually lost quite abit of weight recently but thinks its been a combination of stress as had alot of stuff going on and runnning around after my little girl,if anything im slimmer than i was before i was pregnant!!it did take a while to lose though as i look at pictures from few months ago and i cant believe how big i was. i just cut out snacking and that seemed to help. i was lucky that i didnt get strech marks anyway and i cant really complain,ive been very very lucky and i try reminding myself when im having a bad day. xxx
  • The skinny comments used to really upset me, I've got crohns disease so have never been able to put on weight no matter how much I ate, I feel much better now, people can be so insensitive x
  • Hi guys, well im 4lbs off my pre preg weight, but i need to lose at least another stone after that. Ive been doing body combat and a neighbour up the road is a personal trainer so im his pupil for the next 8 months which is free to me as he needs to complete an assignment so thats good for me, im quite motivated but sometimes of oh doesnt get home in time or what not i miss my classes arghhhhh, and i really wanna look better and get rid of my flabby belly lol. but im sure il get there. Hey and the loz is here for any top style tips lol xxx
  • Im actually 19lbs below my pre pregnancy weight!! Didnt put on a single pound this time round due the diabeties i had to eat healthy and a combination of bfing the first week i was back to normal! Have been going to SW since the end of August and am now 10lbs off my target weight which means i would of lost 2.5stone!

Am starting running this week to tone up the last bit, but after 3 kids im very proud of my body, yes i have stretchmarks, but there my war wounds and i wear them proudly image
  • i got down to my pre preg weight not long after having hollie cause i was all baby but now i've put on over 2 stone due to my pcos symtoms coming back. i'm back to the weight i was 4 years ago before i started my weight loss programme with the hospital.
    my belly is just vile! i have overly stretchy skin due to a health problem so i dont think i will ever get rid of it.

but do you know what? i dont really care because i have a beautful baby girl that i was told i'd never have and only my fiance sees me naked. (it would be nice to be thinner and be able to buy clothes easier but i'll get there one day)

• i got down to my pre preg weight not long after having hollie cause i was all baby but now i've put on over 2 stone due to my pcos symtoms coming back. i'm back to the weight i was 4 years ago before i started my weight loss programme with the hospital.
    my belly is just vile! i have overly stretchy skin due to a health problem so i dont think i will ever get rid of it.

but do you know what? i dont really care because i have a beautful baby girl that i was told i'd never have and only my fiance sees me naked. (it would be nice to be thinner and be able to buy clothes easier but i'll get there one day)

• Im about 7lb under my pre-pregnancy weight and feel good for it. I would still like to lose another 7lb but think the weight loss is on hold now until after Christmas with all the tempting treats around.

All my old clothes fit but really need to get some new stuff as feel like it would give me a boost as not bought hardly anything for myself in past 9 months as Millie has had to come first with any spare pennies we've had as so she should do! But Ive started back at work 3 mornings so once I get paid at the end of the month Im going to treat myself. image

My boobs are the only thing I really dont like they are really not anything like they were! Think I'll have to save up 4 a boob job after baby number 2. lol

I have stretch marks on my hips, thighs and lower tummy but Ive been using bio oil on them and they are soo much better for it, I think they will be completely un-noticable in a while if I remember to use it properly (every day) as when I do I can really see a difference. My tummy isn't too bad I just need to get on and do some sit ups and it would be much better, just dont have the motivation yet.

I've been doing a 45 min jog twice a week with a friend and going to WW to lose the weight and seems to be serving me well so far! image

xxx
  • I'm 1 and a half stone heavier than my pre pregnancy weight. I did start doing things to get it off but i get too tired all the time. I've started eating normally again and the weight seems to be coming off nice and steadily. The health visitor made me eat loads when Spencer wasn't putting on weight from breastfeeding so hubby was basically force feeding me not that it helped Spencer.

My boobs are a size bigger than they were but unfortunatly there somewhere down there so i dont seem to be able to have any kind of cleavage which i used to love.

Down there i'm quite scarred inside and a little deformed. For ages i wouldn't do anything as it felt horrible but hubby was really patient we dont have rudness much anyway so there was no pressure.

I have to say my body is telling me it wants to try for another right now!
  • I hate my body, just lack motivation to fix it.
  • i bounced back really quick this time was back in my normal clothes when Leah was 2 and half weeks old couldnt believe it but ive still got a jelly belly lol but lately ive lost half a stone without even trying guess ive been lucky this time bet i wont be so lucky after number 3 lol
  • I about no idea about weights - am happy on the days I can get into size 10-12 jeans but have a stand by of size 14s!

Its the boobs that i notice they were never big before and now they are tiny and saggy but I have fed to two happy healthy babies so at least they have done a good job!

Good luck to all in the new year x x