Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Boo!

It's too quiet in here!! What's everyone up to? Let's list a high and a low from the last year:

a high for me was Max's 6 week checkup, it was the first time he hadn't gone totally nuts at having his clothes taken off, he even smiled at the doctor. That was one of the first of many proud mummy moments that really stands out.

A low, we went out for lunch with friends once and he was just hysterical, nothing would soothe him, my friends baby is 3months older and incredibly placid compared to max who's like a fire cracker most days (thankfuly, now he's just very active/excited most of the time rather than going ballistic cause he's tired/hungry etc!) anyway, we had to cut the meal short and I just felt like such a shit mummy, totally out of my depth (it was at a time when he wouldn't nap AT ALL during the day and I was at a total loss as to why . I remember posting on here about how upset I was and you were all so lovely and supportive. I soon felt like a good mummy again.

So, welldone us, we're all fab mummies! We've managed to muddled our way through the first year! Xx

Replies

• Hey. I'm going to do my low point first, because I have so many little high points that have made me so happy and proud.

My lowest point was actually the day my son was born. The doctors never came and checked him over so they refused to let us go home and I ended up having to stay in the hospital overnight with my little one. They wouldn't allow my husband to stay with us because it was a female ward. So instead of spending our first night together as a family, I had to try and cope by myself. Huge nightmare seeing as I hadn't slept in 2 days, was in agony and although I'd held, fed and changed a baby before it was never a newborn and there was always someone there to tell me what to do. So finding myself half asleep and alone with this tiny little bundle was the scariest moment of my life.. Especially when I asked the midwife for help and got told that it was my baby so I'd have to figure it out. image. In the end I rang my husband in floods of tears telling him I couldnt do it, and that I must be the worlds worst mum to be failing so early on.
    Amazingly by the time my husband was finally allowed on the ward a few hours later, I had someone managed to settle our son off to sleep in my arms and had spent the last few hours lying there staring at the clock too scared to move incase he woke back up!.

My high point is hard to pick between, a silly one that comes to mind is managing to get my sons vest over his head by myself for the 1st time when he was a week old. (before then me n hubby had had to work together..one supporting his neck, while the other slid it on) as we'd been afraid of hurting his neck. My highest point though was properly the first time my son said Mama...and everytime he's said it since. It feels so good to know that he knows who I am and that whenever something is wrong, its my name he calls out. image

xxxx