Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Mar 09

Feel like giving up :(

Firstly hi to all u lovely ladies image Havent posted here yet as mainly stay in the april forum, had my lo evan on the 19th march tho, so feel better suited posting here with my current worries as you have lo's of a similar age!

Basically evan is 5wks + 2 and ex bf from birth :\) im just finding it so hard at the min as seems to want to b on the (.)(.) constantly - hes been like this from birth image i keep telling myself itl get better each wk but it just doesnt seem too....just wondering if any1 elses los where/are like this and if they fed less once the 6wk growth spurt was over :cry: I really want to ex bf him til weaning, and continue til he goes onto cows milk when hes one......

kim and evan xxxxxx

Replies

• Hi Kim and welcome to Evan. :\) Just wanted to say, hang in there. I thought I was going to die when Peter went through his 6-week growth spurt. It was exhausting and I ended up very sore. It does get better, although slowly. Some days are still better than others (today has been pretty exhausting for us) but he will also start being more alert without wanting to feed, which is good fun.

Hope things get better for you soon.
  • Hi Kim and Evan (fab name, my Lo's middle name )

I feel like this some days, today being one of them! Im just finding it hard not being able to go anywhere or do anything without having one eye on the clock (he wont take a bottle and im too self concious to feed in public) and im SO tired!!

Ive been told by lots of people that things do get easier once they've got past 6 weeks-i'll let you know next week if we see any change!

Im not at the point of giving up yet, im not even sure i could with him not taking a bottle, but it's certainly crossed my mind. The other things that are bugging me is that Max has prolonged jaundice caused by the breastfeeding, he's got ezcema (thought he'd avoid this if i bfed), he also had acne caused by the hormones in my milk and ive already had my first period!!!! Not exactly seeing any benefits of all the hard work!xx
  • Thanx for both your replies girlies image

Its so hard this bf malarky isnt it!?! Ive had a guilt day today as my 2 other lo's keep asking why evan eats ALL the time, bless them, there only 4 and 5 and even a trip to the park (a gd hr feed b4 we leave) still ends up with evan crying and being fed and mummy cant play! Im glad im not alone, i do worry hes not satisfied, but hes gaining 8-9oz a wk...so i know hes getting the goods surely! Im hoping and praying that once the 6wk GS is over he settles down (all i ask is 2hrs between a feed, not 2minutes!) I absoloutly adore bfing, i really dont want him to have formula, nothing against it, my other 2 where very healthy ff babies, its just i had my heart ex bfing evan, and im determined to do so!

Todays been a bad day i think, i know deep down the only way id give up is if the milk dried up, so im going to grin and bare it and hope after the next 2wks pass the GS should be over.....im dreading it as im not sure how he can feed anymore than he does...HG the only thing that gets me through this is those first smiles - everytime he does wake at the min is for food, he wont lay there and be calm, hes a total milk monster :lol: PB how old is your lo, we must of had them the same week? And that totally sucks about the af...im hoping she stays away for 12month image xxxxxxx
  • Ah, bless your lo's-must be so hard for them to understand. Im actually really lucky as Max only takes 10mins to feed although he drinks so fast, (i think i have a really fast letdown) that he's been choking and gagging this week-another question for the HV!

He's 6 weeks-born on the 14th, im hoping my af was a random one and it bogs off again!

I think bfing would be much easier than ffing if it wasn't so frequent, hopefully, we'll see the benefits in a few more weeks. I think it would be such a shame to give up now, after doing all this-definately worth holding out i think xx
  • Like you i always felt like i was feeding. Little one was 9lb 9oz born and just seems hungry all the time.

He is now 5 weeks old. I express 20oz a day for his day feeds and feed myself at night. Its just great as i know he is getting enough and the night feeds now seem shorter. I really believe he was constantly hungry as he kept on falling asleep when feeding.

I have no problems with going from breast to bottle. I feel so much happier as i know he is getting enough food and he seems so much more content.

• Thanx PB - i know would be a total shame, ive got through the worst bit so would be a big shame to give up now...and besides il see it as a personal accomplishment if i can see it through image I think evan may of heard me though as last night he had a feed at 9pm then didnt wake up til 1.30am...this is the longest hes ever slept!!! Been on a role since then as hes had 2 3hr naps today....hes never done this, so you could say today is a GOOD day and im singing the joys of bf.....shame the 6wk GS is guna come along and ruin it eh...will see what the week brings!!! Evan was born on the 19th so only a few days between them..i know who to call when i have a Q now!

Its funny u say that about the gulping as evan does that, sometimes he can barely breath as hes drinking..i think he finishes his feed quite quickly and then uses me as a comfort as i can feel after a while he isnt drinking....i may start taking him off and try entertaining him, this is what i did today and it seems to of done the trick - mb i fell into the trap of bfing when he moans, who knows!

Thanx for your advise emma, it is so much reassuring seeing what goes in, but for me expressing would be to time consuming, i have two other lo's who i need to take to school/after school clubs etc, so like the convience of bfing....hoping in the next few weeks it starts to slot into place - well done you though, as ex and feeding after must be hard xxx
  • I know when Max is just comforting himself as he-doesn't swallow, nibbles the end of the nipple and i have a little trick where i slowley move my breast out of his mouth-if he's still hungry he grips back on, if he's just messing around it will slip out. If im not sure, i take him off and then tickle his top lip-he's so lazy he'll only latch back on if it's for more food! xx
  • Hi, just wanted to say it definitely gets easier. My son would feed constantly it seemed. I was expecting bf to be so easy but found it extremely tough going to start with and lot's of tears were shed..by both parties! By three months he had definitely cut down alot and then I was worrying that he wasn't having enough! We carried on with bf until a week before Angelos first birthday when I had to stop as I was pregnant with Nina & had severe morning sickness. By then I felt really sad to stop bf Angelo. I think it all fell into place when we had somewhat of a routine going. Thankfully Nina has always been a 3-4 hour kinda girl.

It sounds like your doing really well, especially with two other lo's as well..you should be really proud. Oh just thought, I have a sling which I sometimes use for tricky moments with Nina so Im a bit freer for Angelo. She loves it as it gives her that closeness and calms her down. Just wondered if something like that would help Evan to go a bit longer between feeds..just a thought. x
  • Well Max went nearly 5hours last night 11.30pm until 4.15am!! Of course i was awake wondering what on earth was going on!! Keeping everything crossed that he does it again!

So maybe after the 6 week spurt things do get better-if Max can do it then im sure Evan will too as he was every 2hours until last night!!xx
  • Thank for you reply missymoo image I bought a sling this week, a babsling...put evan in it but he wasnt to keen, i think we may need a bit of pratice tho as it was quite awkward so maybe that unsettled him....i have to say though since i wrote this post ive noticed a slight improvment, yesterday was a awful day but sunday hes was a utter angel, slept 3hrly, fed, and slept again it was fab! Pixiebob i think there may be something in the water as after a evening of cluster feeding, evan went from 11.30 - 5.30, im in shock so maybe things are on the up? Does the 6wk gs have to be exactly 6wks...or could it be why the past week has been utter hell! xxx
  • Ive just read your post in 'baby' but thought id reply here. You're doing such a fab job, try not to worry-i know how hard it is as im a big worry wort myself!!

The growth spurt can be at anytime-6 weeks is just a rough guide. Max was 6 weeks on Saturday, fed like a maniac last week (5weeks) and went 5hours last night (week 6) so he's on his own time schedule too!!

I think if the dummy's worked he may well have been using you for comfort and not actually drinking for the whole time he was on. Max latches, feeds like mad for 5-10mins then he's done. He occasionally comfort feeds, usually at night so i take him off and pop him back to bed.

If he's still getting plenty of wet and dirty nappies then he's getting enough. I think he'd soon spit that dummy out and make it clear he needed food not comfort if he was hungry!xx